Photo
- - - - -

Access To Back Of Headlights On 2007 Sierra

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 SS Crew

SS Crew

Enthusiast

• 701 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

I just bought some super white bulbs for the headlights for my 2007 GMC Sierra, but the problems is how the #$%! do you access the bulbs on the back of the headlight housings? The air cleaner box on the right side is blocking access and on the left, the wiper washer bottle is in the way. I tried to remove the grille to remove the whole headlight assembly, but I just can't get the lower clips out of their slots and I don't want to break anything.

The owners manual doesn't say squat about replacing the headlight bulbs - in fact, it doesn't even give you what bulb the headlights use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SS
Come on in, the door's always open - The closer's busted.

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD crewcab LML
RIP: 2007 GMC Sirrra 2500HD crewcab, 20" Weld Velocity 8's, Michelin 305-50-20 Cross Terrains - Performance Associates Custom Tune

#2 VMax2007

VMax2007

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

I just bought some super white bulbs for the headlights for my 2007 GMC Sierra, but the problems is how the #$%! do you access the bulbs on the back of the headlight housings? The air cleaner box on the right side is blocking access and on the left, the wiper washer bottle is in the way. I tried to remove the grille to remove the whole headlight assembly, but I just can't get the lower clips out of their slots and I don't want to break anything.

The owners manual doesn't say squat about replacing the headlight bulbs - in fact, it doesn't even give you what bulb the headlights use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SS

Sorry, can't help ya, but I will keep an eye on this thread as I would like to know too. Also, what bulbs did you get and where?? I would like to get some HID bulbs for the headlights and the fog lights.
Thanks!

Edited by VMax2007, 04 July 2007 - 06:37 PM.

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#3 11c

11c

Enthusiast

• 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Isn't there two L shaped rods on each headlight assembly that must be pulled up (with hood open, they are on top of each headlight) as in previous years ?
Take a look...I would hope they wouldn't design it so you need to dismantle the front end.

Edited by 11c, 04 July 2007 - 07:13 PM.

#4 Super Stealth

Super Stealth

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,051 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

Why don't one of you guys with a NBS 900 open up your owner's manual and help this guy out?? The answer is in your glove-box.
2010 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
EXTENDED CAB,STANDARD BOX
LIFE IS GREAT WITH THE 4.8

#5 zozmanGMC

zozmanGMC

Enthusiast

• 100 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

OK. To replace the front headlight halogen bulbs:

1. Open the hood.
2. If you are replacing the bulb on the passenger side, remove the engine air cleaner cover.
3. Reach in and access the bulb sockets from the inside engine compartment.
4. Turn the bulb socket counterclockwise to remove it from the headlight assembly and pull it straight out.
5. Unplug the electrical connector from the old bulb by releasing the clips on the bulb socket.
6. Replace it with a new bulb socket.
7. Plug in the electrical connector to the new bulb socket.
8. Reinstall the new bulb socket into the headlamp assembly and turn it clockwise to secure.
9. Close the hood.

Note: No mention is made in the manual (p. 544) about replacing the driver side lamps. Apparently, they do not ever need replacement.
Another note: This procedure appears to be easier than replacing the lamps in my wife's CTS-V which require removal of the front bumper.

Additional Note: To replace the driver side lamps, remove the five bolts which hold down the auxilliary battery tray(anybody carrying TWO batteries?), then remove the washer bottle neck bolt, slide the bottle out of the way and access to the driver side lamps can be made.

zoz

Edited by zozmanGMC, 04 July 2007 - 08:19 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

God Bless Basset Hounds!

#6 daddy

daddy

Senior Enthusiast

• 14,970 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

The answer isn't in the manual, unfortunately.

In order to reach the passenger side bulbs you'll need to remove the air box cover at a minimum, perhaps the whole thing depending on how large your hands and arms are. The driver side is a tight squeeze but you just have to work around the washer fluid bottle. You might remove the top screw holding the neck in place for just a bit more space but. Ultimately, it's just a PITA to change them. Wish I had better news.

Vmax2007, if you want me to test out the fog light mod on some HID's, send 'em my way! :driving:

Daddy

Edited by daddy, 04 July 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

#7 SS Crew

SS Crew

Enthusiast

• 701 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

Why don't one of you guys with a NBS 900 open up your owner's manual and help this guy out?? The answer is in your glove-box.

I looked in the owner's manual. Accoding to the manual, you need to remove the air cleaner box lid, but taking the lid off the air cleaner box still doesnt' give you enough access, the box is still in the way.

Edited by SS Crew, 05 July 2007 - 08:16 AM.

RIP: 2007 GMC Sirrra 2500HD crewcab, 20" Weld Velocity 8's, Michelin 305-50-20 Cross Terrains - Performance Associates Custom Tune

#8 SS Crew

SS Crew

Enthusiast

• 701 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

OK. To replace the front headlight halogen bulbs:

1. Open the hood.
2. If you are replacing the bulb on the passenger side, remove the engine air cleaner cover.
3. Reach in and access the bulb sockets from the inside engine compartment.
4. Turn the bulb socket counterclockwise to remove it from the headlight assembly and pull it straight out.
5. Unplug the electrical connector from the old bulb by releasing the clips on the bulb socket.
6. Replace it with a new bulb socket.
7. Plug in the electrical connector to the new bulb socket.
8. Reinstall the new bulb socket into the headlamp assembly and turn it clockwise to secure.
9. Close the hood.

Note: No mention is made in the manual (p. 544) about replacing the driver side lamps. Apparently, they do not ever need replacement.
Another note: This procedure appears to be easier than replacing the lamps in my wife's CTS-V which require removal of the front bumper.

Additional Note: To replace the driver side lamps, remove the five bolts which hold down the auxilliary battery tray(anybody carrying TWO batteries?), then remove the washer bottle neck bolt, slide the bottle out of the way and access to the driver side lamps can be made.

zoz

I noticed that they went to bolting the light assembly in, but I thought that there were only a couple of bolts to remove the light housings and they'd pop out, but man, it's a major deal to just to replace these bulbs.

#9 tbyrne

tbyrne

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,440 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:40 AM

I also found it interesting that they don't say anything about the driver's side bulb. You need to remove the battery to gain access to that. It's still kind of a light fit to get your fingers in there but it can still be done. Removing the air box assembly on the passenger's side will allow very easy access to those bulbs.

#10 SS Crew

SS Crew

Enthusiast

• 701 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

I also found it interesting that they don't say anything about the driver's side bulb. You need to remove the battery to gain access to that. It's still kind of a light fit to get your fingers in there but it can still be done. Removing the air box assembly on the passenger's side will allow very easy access to those bulbs.

Well I removed the air cleaner box, the battery tray, and tried to remove the window washer fluid bottle (I couldn't find the mystery bolt, but I was able to loosen it up enough) to gain access to the back of the headlights.

It turns out that GM has changed the low beams from 9006's to H11 bulbs so the $80 PIAA bulbs I pulled out of my old truck (only a month of use) won't work in this one. @#4%&! :chevrolet: But I was able to reuse the high beam Silverstars again.

Being that these "high power" psudo HID bulbs only last about a year and it's a PITA to gain access to these headlight bulbs, I'm tempted to just go the true HID route for the low beams; especially now that the DRLs work off the low beam bulbs, not separate ones. I found one site called Never Burn Out. The bulbs are guaranteed for life and the ballasts for 3 years and the kit sells for $265. Seems like a pretty good deal. Has any one else out there dealt with these guys before?

Edited by SS Crew, 07 July 2007 - 11:50 AM.

#11 tbyrne

tbyrne

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,440 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

I have HIDs in my high and low beams. It will be interesting to see how the lows like being DRLs too.

#12 SS Crew

SS Crew

Enthusiast

• 701 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

I have HIDs in my high and low beams. It will be interesting to see how the lows like being DRLs too.

I see that you've got a 2007 GMC in your avitar, did you disable your DRLs? Your lights should come on when your truck is in gear.

Who's HID system did you use?

#13 SUCK MY COCK

SUCK MY COCK

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

I was able to slide my hand behind the assembly and change the bulbs without removing anything. My battery is in the rear by the firewall and not in the front by the headlight.

#14 327BlackBird

327BlackBird

Enthusiast

• 88 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:31 AM

It's easy at the factory, i can hold the whole headlight assembly in one hand and pop out the bulb with the other lol
1980 Camaro Z28. 327 Vette engine. Tons of go fast goodies!
2007 Silverado LT 4X4
GM Oshawa Truck Plant Paint Technician -Red Seal Automotive Service Technician
Posted Image

#15 tbyrne

tbyrne

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,440 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:34 AM

I see that you've got a 2007 GMC in your avitar, did you disable your DRLs? Your lights should come on when your truck is in gear.

Who's HID system did you use?

The DRLs are still active. I might look into disabling them. I'm using the HID packages with Phillips ballsts that my company sells.

Didn't realize that the battery is by the firewall of the 1500 trucks. I have dual batteries so that was in the way on the driver's side.

Edited by tbyrne, 09 July 2007 - 08:35 AM.