Auto Ride Problem

fyrffytr1

Question

I have a 2002 Suburban with auto-Ride. I bought this vehicle in Feb. of this year. The compressor that levelled the vehicle worked then but recently I have not heard it kick in and when I hooked to my 10' equipment trailer the rear sagged .

I took it to the local dealer because I was not sure what fuse to check. A service tech went out to my truck and looked under the hood in the fuse box. He pointed to an empty spot and said that was my problem. It was missing a 30 amp fuse. I didn't think he was right but went along with him. The empty spot was labeled A.I.R.

He gave me a fuse and said that should solve my problem. It didn't. Am I wrong or is that fuse used only in a diesel motor?

I read the owners manual and the only fuse I could find according to it was the one marked RTD(Real Time Dampening).It was good. What else do I need to check and is there a way to check the compressor?

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody know if I can purchase just the exhaust solenoid. I really do not want to replace the entire compressor, exhaust solenoid, dryer, pressure switch as a complete assembly again.

Also out of curiosity, can anybody tell me the purpose of the exhaust solenoid and when & why it is activated?

Blue Dave. Thanks for the great information and the thought process. I will be following you with mine too. When a heavy load (ie Trailer) is put on the back of the vehicle the ride sensors tell the module to pump up the shocks leveling out the truck. When the load is removed the exhaust valve is triggered to release the pressure and bring the back of the truck down to the correct ride height. I have not been able to find a source either. However if you can get a good look at the solenoid and tell me a manufacture and possibly a part number that is stamped on it I may be able to get them from the supplier. I have lots of friends automotive.

We really love the vehicle, and want to be able to tow our boat with it, so we really need to solve this "sagging" issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You probably have an air leak at a fitting under the truck...between the compressor and the shocks. It could also be a tiny pinhole in one of the lines where it has rubbed on something.

Mix up some dishwashing liquid and water (make it REAL SOAPY) and take a small paint brush and check all of the lines and fittings for air leaks.

I know this topic is old but i have a question, and i just cant find the answer to. I have an 08 tahoe i replaced the rear autoride compressor with an oem one, this is a complete unit. The unit is about a week old, when i installed it the system aired up with no problem, and the truck is at ride height. Its been a week and the compressor hasn't turn on again, the ride height is the same, is this normal?

i have an o5 suburban put in a new compressor 2 years ago now not working again but this time there is no service air ride indicator coming on, will it hurt the truck to just not worry about it and let it just not work

The ESC module has the ability to store DTCs as current or history codes. The system uses an ignition cycling diagnostic approach in order to reduce the occurrence of false or intermittent DTCs that do not affect the functionality of the system. This allows for the fail-soft actions to be taken whenever a malfunction condition is current, but requires the malfunction to be current for a certain number of ignition cycles before the corresponding malfunction code and message will be stored or displayed.

123347autorider_00000072629.jpg

Automatic Level ControlThe Automatic Level Control (ALC) system maintains a desired rear suspension position under all types of towing, hauling and loading conditions. The system uses the Electronic Suspension Control Module (ESCM) and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions. When the vehicle is unloaded, the rear suspension is at a desired position, which is monitored by the ESCM using the position sensor inputs. As weight is added to the rear of the vehicle, the position sensor’s signal voltage inputs change.

When the ESCM detects a steady substantial change in the position sensor signal voltages for at least 10 seconds, it responds by commanding ON the ELC relay, which activates the compressor causing the air pressure in the shock absorber chambers to inflate. This inflation raises the rear of the vehicle to regain the desired suspension position. When weight is removed from the vehicle, the ESCM responds by commanding ON the exhaust valve causing the air pressure in the shock absorber chambers to deflate.

Each time the compressor is activated, the ESCM commands ON the exhaust valve for 1.5 seconds to release air from the compression chamber in the compressor’s cylinder head ensuring low motor current draw upon compressor activation. The ESCM also limits the amount of compressor run time to 255 seconds to protect the compressor components from thermal damage.

The system also performs a self test on each ignition ON cycle in which the ESCM commands the ELC relay ON, activating the compressor for 4 seconds then monitors the position sensor’s signal voltage inputs to verify the compressor is functioning and the system is holding air pressure.

Compressor ServiceThe compressor is a positive displacement piston air pump. The compressor draws filtered air through an intake line attached to an under body rail. The compressed air is then run through a dryer containing a moisture- absorbing chemical that dries the compressed air before it is sent to the shock absorber chambers.

The dryer should be cleaned and serviced during shock or compressor replacement. To service the dryer, remove the compressor assembly from the frame rail. The dryer twists apart and the desiccate beads and filter should be replaced. Service kits are available.

Trimset Recalibration

If the system is functioning abnormally, performing the Bumpstop and ALC Trimset recalibration procedures may correct the condition. When a system component has been replaced, the Bumpstop setup and ALC Trimset procedures must be performed.

1. Ensure that the vehicle has a full tank of fuel or add sufficient weight to the rear of the vehicle to simulate a full tank of fuel.

2. Place the vehicle on a flat level surface. Ensure that the suspension is in the normal resting position. With a scan tool, perform the ALC Trimset procedure by following the screen prompts.

3. With a scan tool, perform the suspension Bumpstop setup procedure by following the screen prompts. Once the process has been completed, the system should be fully functional.

Pressure TestChecking the integrity of this intelligent air ride system requires more than just soapy water. In order isolate a leak, the system must be at pressure. Since the system has solenoids, leaks may not be spotted until that circuit has been pressurized.

1. Disconnect the air tube from the air dryer.

2. Attach the air tube to the pressure gauge on the side opposite the toggle valve.

3. Close the toggle valve.

4. Apply service air pressure to the service valve and pressurize until the pressure gauge reads 550 kPa (80 psi).

5. Verify that the system maintains pressure for at least one minute. If the system does not maintain the specified pressure for the specified amount of time, check the shock absorber air sleeves, air tubes and all connections for air leaks using a soapy water solution. Repair or replace any leaking components.

Can any one help me of did any have this problem.... Ihave a 2000 Tahoe(new body style) I bought new compresser and all ne shock but my compressor wouldnt come on. All I'm hearing when I start my truck is just a click in the compressor.

Please help..my last option now is to take it to the dealer and I dont have the money for it.

Thank you

Did you have to remove the wheels when you did this? I have a feeling that one of the sensors is stuck. One side of my truck is higher than the other. The compressor kicks on every time I start my truck and the drivers side rear raises up. I think the other side is stuck too high which triggers the drivers side to try to reach the height of the passengers side. Furthermore, the passengers rear always looks higher than normal when the truck is parked, so I know there is an issue there. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Hi guys,

I have the same problem: Compressor not kicking in anymore, even with my 4200 lbs RV hooked to my 2002 yukon. I'd like to find a shop manual that describes how to remove the compressor, where to find the module and the sensors. I bought a haynes manual at my local auto shop, but it doesn't talk about the autoride at all. Is there anty way to get some mechanical and wirring diagrams on the autoride somewhere online? For cheap? (Free would be even better! :thumbs: )

Thanks for the reply!

I found out that the compressor unit (complete assembly with compressor, filter/dryer, pressure switch & exhaust solenoid valve) that I bought in January has a 12 month warranty.

I simply took the unit back to the GM dealer and they gave me a brand new one. I installed it and everything is working properly again. I sure hope that this one lasts longer than the last one.

Where did you find the complete assembly? I ordered my compressor from http://www.arnottindustries.com/ but it did not come with the "filter/dryer". being curious, i took the old one apart and pretty much ruined it. It looked pretty bad on the inside anyway, so wanted to replace that part as well.

pb

I have a 2002 Suburban with auto-Ride. I bought this vehicle in Feb. of this year. The compressor that levelled the vehicle worked then but recently I have not heard it kick in and when I hooked to my 10' equipment trailer the rear sagged .

I took it to the local dealer because I was not sure what fuse to check. A service tech went out to my truck and looked under the hood in the fuse box. He pointed to an empty spot and said that was my problem. It was missing a 30 amp fuse. I didn't think he was right but went along with him. The empty spot was labeled A.I.R.

He gave me a fuse and said that should solve my problem. It didn't. Am I wrong or is that fuse used only in a diesel motor?

I read the owners manual and the only fuse I could find according to it was the one marked RTD(Real Time Dampening).It was good. What else do I need to check and is there a way to check the compressor?

I have an 04 Tahoe LT with Autoride and recently experienced the same problem. The autoride Compressor kicked on every time I started the truck and when heavy loads or trailers were attached. It seemed like the compressor began running for longer periods of time before shutting off and then the "service autoride control" message appeared in the dash console. I read this post and there are some great helpful tips. I removed the compresssor from behind the rear driver tire and inspected the air hoses and shocks to the extent I could see/feel them. I attempted to bench test the compressor motor with a 12v battery tester and it did not turn on so I think the compressor motor is shot. I found a replacement here http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CHEVR...d92_gid359.html. I am wondering if there is anything else wrong with the autoride system that would need to be fixed before ordering a new compressor? Other members mentioned rotary sensors near the rear wheels but I found mine located at the front of the vehicle, near the front wheels. If possible I'd like to perform a pressure test of the system. Does anyone know what pressure the autoride system operates under (psi?) or how to test the other sensors like the pressure switch attached to the dryer? It does not look like the new compressor motor comes with the dryer so I'm wondering if I could test that too? Any help would certainly be appreciated !! This site has the best inof I have found so far..thanks everyone!!

I talked with the local GM service manager about it today. If it only needs an update the $75.00 diagnostic fee will cover it. If the module has to be replaced it will cost$1,000.00!!!!!!!!!

He said the module costs $800 and labor to install and configure it will be $200.

Y'all want to bet which repair I will need?

From previous thread(s) FWIW......

These are the folks that make the Autoride stuff for GM, I believe their prices are cheaper than from the dealer.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/

Looks like I'm off to the dealer......the compressor on my 06 after sitting 2 weeks and then loaded for a trip did not come on.

Thank goodness it's still under warranty until July!

I have a 2500, 8.1L yukon xl, and was under the impression that Level Ride had a compressor and Auto ride has electronicly operated shock valving with NO compessor (Auto Ride is on my truck). Am I wrong, do I have a compressor?

From what I can read in my user's manual, Autoride is the name given to a family of devices, all aimed at modifying the characteristics of the suspension. In my manual they talk about 3 different systems (fortunately, I only have 1 of the 3 systems; I already have enough problems with it!) These 3 systems are 1) electronically operated shock valving 2)air shock with a compressor and 3) hydraulic shock with a hydraulic pump (I just discovered this 3rd system reading my manual, in preparation to writing this message.) I am no expert. just rewriting what I saw in my manual.

P.S My truck is a 1500

Archived