Auto Ride Problem

fyrffytr1

Question

I have a 2002 Suburban with auto-Ride. I bought this vehicle in Feb. of this year. The compressor that levelled the vehicle worked then but recently I have not heard it kick in and when I hooked to my 10' equipment trailer the rear sagged .

I took it to the local dealer because I was not sure what fuse to check. A service tech went out to my truck and looked under the hood in the fuse box. He pointed to an empty spot and said that was my problem. It was missing a 30 amp fuse. I didn't think he was right but went along with him. The empty spot was labeled A.I.R.

He gave me a fuse and said that should solve my problem. It didn't. Am I wrong or is that fuse used only in a diesel motor?

I read the owners manual and the only fuse I could find according to it was the one marked RTD(Real Time Dampening).It was good. What else do I need to check and is there a way to check the compressor?

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand the level ride ( Z85 ? ) only levels out the rear when weight is added. Autoride does the same but also adjusts the valving of all 4 shocks dependent upon driving

conditions / weight.

As far as repairing this system, if it worked before an update is not going to get it back up and running. With the compressor mounted under truck in back of rear wheel I would

assume its all full of dirt / rust etc. I would disconnect the compressor blow out everything with compressed air and clean all electrical connections.

I did this to the level control system compressor on my 99 Bonneville SSEi when it quit and low and behold it came back to life.

9 times out of 10 problems like this on cars tend to be rusted / corroded connections

PB,

I bought the complete assembly from my local GMC dealer GM p/n 15254590.

Dave,

You have definately gone above & beyond. (Until you took the easy way out! :P )

So here's my deal. '04 Yukon 80k miles. Compressor quit working. "Service Autoride" shows up the dash. Removed compressor & bench tested without it turning on. Purchased an Arnott aftermarket kit. Reinstalled compressor and "Service Autoride" is no longer present on dash, but compressor still doesn't come on when hooked up to trailer as before. HELP! :P

TTT

The fuse doesn't make sense if it was working and then stopped. Did someone remove the fuse. You should get a dash light saying service autoride if there is a problem. Key word is should. Hook up a scan tool or bring it to the dealer. You should hear the compressor kick open when you have a load or trailer. There probably is a fuse for the autoride. Check your manual, but it should not be missing.

Does any one know the part number for the exhaust valve that is on the dryer. I have a 2008 Avalanche LTZ with auto ride. I want to replace the complete system but I can not find this valve/solenoid. Thank You Gary

dealer has the number

We really love the vehicle, and want to be able to tow our boat with it, so we really need to solve this "sagging" issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You probably have an air leak at a fitting under the truck...between the compressor and the shocks. It could also be a tiny pinhole in one of the lines where it has rubbed on something.

Mix up some dishwashing liquid and water (make it REAL SOAPY) and take a small paint brush and check all of the lines and fittings for air leaks.

Texas Jim-

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try and I will let you know if that solves the sagging issue.

Since I am not familiar with these auto leveling air shocks, is that normal for me to hear the compressor go on and off as though it is conatantly "leveling" the vehicle every time I turn it on and off?

Thanks for the help.

I own a 2003 Yukon Denali. The autoride pump does not start when I put my race car trailer on it. The back of the truck drops about 3 inches. I have 22 inch rims and a good size tire on it and this causes the tires to rub the inner well when loaded. Please help as I cannot find any info on the system. I would like to try and fix the problem myself and save a few bucks.

Thanks

Kevin from Canada

Hi guys! I found this thread on Google so I joined the site to hopefully get some answers regarding the air ride system on my 2002 GMC Yukon XL Denali.

I replaced the complete compressor assembly (compressor, exhaust solenoid, dryer, pressure switch) as a complete unit last year and the system has worked fine until just this week.

I just tested the compressor by jumping 12v onto the red & black leads and it works fine. All three fuses that supply power to the entire system (IGN 3, Stud 1, & RTD) check out fine.

I have complete schematics of the system which show me that the red compressor wire is energized by the automatic level control relay (contact 87). The automatic level control relay (contact 30) is fed from the Stud 1 fuse under the hood. When the relay coil is energized, relay contacts 30 & 87 close to energize the red wire which feeds the compressor. The relay coil (contact 85) has + 12v supplied by a brown wire fed from fuse IGN 3 on the left side of the dash. The relay coil is energized when the other side of the coil (contact 86) receives a ground signal on the light blue wire fed from the suspension control module (connector C2 A10).

My problem is that do not know the location of the relay and the module. Can anybody please tell me where these two components are located?

I have one more question just out of curiosity. The orange wire fed from the RTD fuse under the hood is connected to one side of the exhaust soleniod coil. The other side of the coil is connected to a dark blue wire fed from connector C2 B5 on the suspension control module. My question is what is the purpose of the exhaust solenoid (purge water vapor?) and when does the suspension control module turn on this solenoid?

PB,

I bought the complete assembly from my local GMC dealer GM p/n 15254590.

Dave,

You have definately gone above & beyond. (Until you took the easy way out! :cheers: )

So here's my deal. '04 Yukon 80k miles. Compressor quit working. "Service Autoride" shows up the dash. Removed compressor & bench tested without it turning on. Purchased an Arnott aftermarket kit. Reinstalled compressor and "Service Autoride" is no longer present on dash, but compressor still doesn't come on when hooked up to trailer as before. HELP! :cheers:

We really love the vehicle, and want to be able to tow our boat with it, so we really need to solve this "sagging" issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You probably have an air leak at a fitting under the truck...between the compressor and the shocks. It could also be a tiny pinhole in one of the lines where it has rubbed on something.

Mix up some dishwashing liquid and water (make it REAL SOAPY) and take a small paint brush and check all of the lines and fittings for air leaks.

Texas Jim-

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try and I will let you know if that solves the sagging issue.

Since I am not familiar with these auto leveling air shocks, is that normal for me to hear the compressor go on and off as though it is conatantly "leveling" the vehicle every time I turn it on and off?

Thanks for the help.

Archived