Which Oe Replacement Brake Pad/rotors Do You Recommend

Which OE replacement brake pad/rotors do you recommend  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The ones on my '99 were either Baer or Brembo. They were slotted and drilled (front and rear). I used a high ceramic content pad from Autozone. I can say it stopped better than my '07, but what can I say these drum brakes on the back are the cheese. At least the pedal feels firm, to brace myself against in the event of a collision. :chevrolet:

Also curious how much of an improvement you got with these replacement brakes? I just need to make sure if I keep the factory size that it's going to be enough to stop the truck the way it should. Especially since it has these heavy 20's from the factory. I'm considering going with factory size Powerslot of even SSBC.

I have had Autozone and Hawk HPS pads on my Camaro. The Hawk's dust a lot. The Autozone pads have lasted a long time with very minimal dust. The Autozone rotors have also been good. Brembo have also worked well.

I've not had good experience with Autozone "DuraLast" pads or their rotors. On my '97, the rotors warped and the pads were noisy. On my wife's 2003 Chrysler minivan, the pads are noisy. I need to change these soon (d*mn minivans eat brakes!), and I don't know what I'm going to use..

Just as the poll says, which pads and rotors do you recommend? This doesn't include the big brake kits, just OE replacements. (factory size).

I've had PowerSlot rotors on 3 vehicles in the past. I've also used Hawk and EBC RedStuff pads. Since EBC doesn't make the red pads for our trucks (I don't think) I will be going with PowerSlot and Hawk when my truck needs pads. On my Cobalt SS, even GMPP drilled and slotted rotors warped in a month. The PowerSlots finally cured the problem, and the EBC pads were a great combination of initial grip, fade resistance and low dust - but those were the red pads.

Were those GMPP brakes made by Baer? I know they look just like their alumnasport kit, and they are drilled/slotted. Always been concerned about warping with cross drilled since that happened to myself and another friend on a set of Baer rotors. Prior to that, I'd never had warped rotors.

I have an 06 Sierra with the 13in front rotors, rear drums, and 17 in wheels. I went to www.ajusa.com and got the powerslot rotors just for the front. Part numbers 8657PSR and 8657PSL. None of the parts stores in town however seems to have pads that would fit. When you ask for pads that give you a set but the anti-rattle clips do not fit on the caliper correctly. So I just used the stock pads and couldnt be happier. Its quiet and stops like a dream.

My next feat is to replace my drums because they are out of round but after extensive research you can only get the drums from gmpartsdirect. If you try and get them from the dealer they are about 280 bucks a peice for the drums and 200+ for the shoe kit.

• 3 months later...

On my other truck when I replaced the front brakes I went with Baer Drilled and Slotted Deccalarotors and EBC Green Stuff Pads. I gained excellent stopping power but within the next 5 months the rotors started looking terrible they had a lip of crud all around them and squeak like mad. The pads on the other hand work great and barley look used. I'll deffinatley get EBC pads again but i'll never buy another set of Baer rotors. I voted for Brembos but Power Slots are awesome too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a big fan of Praise Dyno brake products. I'm on my 3rd set (200K+ on truck) of full rotors and pads. Braking is significantly better IMO but they only last around 40-50K before they start to pulse. I tow somewhat regularly and I wanted an improvement without the big dollar brake kits. The pads have a higher coefficient of friction and they use cryo treated rotors to improve wear. Call John @ Praise if you want to discuss your needs. He is a nice guy to talk to and knows a lot about brakes. Their kits for the OBS were a HUGE improvement particularly in the rear drums. The improvement on the 4w disc is not as impressive but still good. Very low dust also.

• 1 month later...
I've not had good experience with Autozone "DuraLast" pads or their rotors. On my '97, the rotors warped and the pads were noisy. On my wife's 2003 Chrysler minivan, the pads are noisy. I need to change these soon (d*mn minivans eat brakes!), and I don't know what I'm going to use..

Autozone, Advance Discount Auto Parts and Carquest sell junk for brake parts. That includes cheap Chinese rotors, cheap pads, poorly remanufactured brake calipers, you name it. Best avoid those places for your brake needs.

I was really impressed/surprised with the Autozone's Performance Friction Brakes, carbon-metallics, that I put on an 03 Expedition. They were low dust (which I was really after) and seemed to stop a bit better than stock. I will most likely put on my Sierra when it is time. I also liked the Power slots (that were just grooved) that I upgraded to once as well.

What ever you do, I would not recommend Ceramic pads without vented rotors. They get much hotter when braking and the heat needs to be channelled or dissapated. Stock rotors will most likely warp and possibly break due to the high heat over time.

Good luck!

Autozone, Advance Discount Auto Parts and Carquest sell junk for brake parts. That includes cheap Chinese rotors, cheap pads, poorly remanufactured brake calipers, you name it. Best avoid those places for your brake needs.

I'm sorry but you are sorely wrong Carquest does not belong on that list. CarQuest brake pads are some of the best in the business.

pm26 you are providing very bad information and Gozer I would not use what pm has posted. Gozer if you use the ceramic blue pads from Carquest you will be completely satisfied.

Archived