Factory Speaker Replacement Nbs

Has anyone replaced their stock speakers yet. I have a 2007 Sierra Extended cab and the rear speakers sound terrible no bass what so ever. From what I've found you need a speaker adapter because the stockers are an odd shape this way you can install a 6.5" speakers without drilling or modifying the opening. I just want to change out the speakers with some Alpine type S units that don't require a lot of power and keep everything else stock (head unit).

Adapter

I have an '07 NBS Sierra Ext Cab with the single CD stock system. I had a Memphis M-Class amp installed along with four 6-1/2" Memphis M-Class speakers. The shop had to fab an adapter for the rear door speakers. Nothing on the market (as of a month ago) in the way of a speaker adapters for this application. This morning my trucks back at their shop, getting the pillar tweeters replaced.

Let me know how they turn out once you have replaced them. My truck stock sounds horrible even with the bass turned down. My girlfriend has a new Tahoe with the Bose system and it sounds great! I wonder what it would take (time wise and money) to replace the cheap factory system with Bose or should I go aftermarket?

I have a Bose system in my Vette and it sounds o.k. but nothing special. I haven't heard any recent Bose systems but they are built to a price point. I think just a speaker upgrade will make a big difference, you can get Alpine Type S or Infinity Reference series speakers which don't cost much and are efficient with stock deck power. I'll post the difference once I change them out.

Go aftermarket. You'll be surprised how the sound can be improved just with changing out the Head Unit. I pulled the factory HU and with some adapters for the Onstar, steering wheel controls, and the chimes my AVIC D2 has a new home, and improved the sound of the factory speakers.

The truck before had the bose system, I had the AVIC in there and it improved the sound of the bose system. What I did find with the bose system is the factory bose amp is then the next crutch to getting good clean loud sound.

Let me know how they turn out once you have replaced them. My truck stock sounds horrible even with the bass turned down. My girlfriend has a new Tahoe with the Bose system and it sounds great! I wonder what it would take (time wise and money) to replace the cheap factory system with Bose or should I go aftermarket?

Has anyone replaced their stock speakers yet. I have a 2007 Sierra Extended cab and the rear speakers sound terrible no bass what so ever. From what I've found you need a speaker adapter because the stockers are an odd shape this way you can install a 6.5" speakers without drilling or modifying the opening. I just want to change out the speakers with some Alpine type S units that don't require a lot of power and keep everything else stock (head unit).

Adapter

I have a 2001 Silverado Extended cab and I replaced the front 6.5" speakers with a set of Rainbows (SL165) 6.5" Coaxial speakers and they sound amazing from my stock Head unit. You would believe the difference these speakers make. The rear speakers are some small 4"x6" and thinking of installing a pair of Rainbow 4" Mid Bass (MR100). This way you won't take away from your front stage and don't have to modify your rear door opening. If you plan on installing an amplifier, I would suggest to upgrading to a component system like a Rainbow SLC265. You won't be disappointed! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know have directions or know where i can get directions on how to remove the door panels and extended cab door panel to get to the speakers? I would like to replace my stock speakers..

I would like to know also. I have an 07 Corvette with the Blose system, and it sounds worse than the Blose system in my 07 GMC Sierra. I did change all 5 speakers in the Corvette with Infinities, and it did improve the sound but not to the extent of changing the head unit and amplifiers would. Still, it was a good improvement for the money spent and time envolved. With the Vette, the rear speakers are sent an "equalized" signal which eliminates the higher and lower frequencies which is why those speakers sound extra lousy. The only solution is to change the head unit and amplifiers which is more than I wish to do. I notice my NBS GMC Sierras crew cabs rear speakers also lack the high and low frequencies. I don't know why Bose engineers it that way but I assume it is to provide a fill-in sound.

I would like to change both the front door speakers and the A pillar tweeters. Any body know how to get the panels off?

• 2 weeks later...

i am considering changing mine as well. i kind of like the polk audio 6.5's. they seem to be affordable and will run on the factory power. the bass on the factory system is not that great. as for the bose, i have always known it as blows and it is supposedly hard to ever change to anything else without adapters and so forth.

• 1 month later...
I have my adapters, will be going with 6.5" Alpine Type S speakers as they are efecient and not too expensive. Infinity Kappa's would also be a good choice. I'll take some pics as I do them if anyone wants to see the process and review of the sound quality.

Picture027.jpg

I swapped mine out with Alpine Type-R's many months ago. I believe you are about to run into a problem. Those adapters are for the front doors only. The rear doors are an even more odd shape. I had to fabricate a bracket to make mine work. The stock radio blows. It does sound better, but it doesn't have nearly enough power to make the new speakers really sound good and I get no real bass at all.

Daddy

Well they specified front and rear doors so I guess I'll see. The Alpine Type R is not as efficient and requires more power to drive them that's why I'm going with the Type S better suited for deck power. Was the rear speaker a 4x6?

My brother just bought a Saturn Vue Redline with the same factory deck and his sounds quite a bit better than my truck I wonder if the speakers are different.

Archived