Photo
- - - - -

Transfer Case Leaks - Magnesium Alloy Case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleRed1

LittleRed1

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

2002 Silverado K1500 5.3 V8, Auto, Z-71 package with New Process 246GM Transfer Case 2.72 ratio- AutoTrac

The transfer case developed a pin hole in the rear case half which I repaired with Grey RTV.
Worked for about a week before a new pinhole develop in a different area - Both above the filler plug.
I understand there is a $2 clip that holds the pump in place and the design is insufficent, allowing the pump to rub against the thin wall, which creates the damage.

I believe this has been a problem on the magnesium cases for various transfer cases made by New Process.
I don't want to replace it with another new/re-manufacture unit that has the same design problem.

Is GM aware of this problem - TBs, SBs, recalls?

Is ther any re-course to rectify this problem. -> Still waiting a call from Service Manager and would like to know if there is anyone aware of this problem or had a similiar condition

Thanks to any response

Edited by LittleRed1, 26 July 2007 - 11:41 PM.

2002 Z-71 6" Superlift, 35" Dunlop Mud Rover, K&N, Torando, Hypertech, Flowmaster

#2 BOBCAT5544

BOBCAT5544

Enthusiast

• 913 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Document ID# 1962218
2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Improved Oil Fluid Wear Pump Clip - keywords 136 149 246 246EAU 261 263 263EAU housing leak case transfer transfercase #PIP4118 - (04/17/2007)

Models: 1998-2007 Light Duty Trucks and Utilities
Equipped with New Venture Gear Transfer Cases RPO NP1, NP2, NP3, NP4, NP8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Oil pump wear clip P/N 12470559 is broken or out of position. This may cause the pump to wear a pin hole in the transfer case rear half. If the wear is severe the transfer case may be damaged due to lack of lubrication. The clip may fatigue and break. The clip may become loose and shift out of position.

Recommendation/Instructions:
A new clip design has been released. P/N 89059653 is available for both production and service. This new part totally cancels and supersedes the former P/N 12470559. Only the new clip will be available.

This new oil pump wear clip should be used whenever a transfer case is opened for any type of internal service. See photo. GMSPO currently has inventory of the new part.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Automotive Back Ground ASE Certified Master Tech, GM Certified Master Tech, GM Certified Advance Master Engine Proformance, GM Certified Advance Master Electronics and Programing

Posted Image
2002 Silverado 2500hd 496 8.1L 4x4 Custom fit Magna Charger and Costum tune done my self, 5 speed Allison 1000 stage 4 ATS Billet Transmission with ATS CoPilot Electronic Transmission Controller, 3 inch lift. Super Swamper LTB Tires 33 x 13.50 on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Rims 16x10, Westin wheel to wheel step bars and brush guard, double roll single kicker roll bars. 4 kc lights on brush guard and 8 kc lights on the roll bar

Posted Image
1978 VETTE With ZZ383 Crate Engine, Weiland 6-71 Blower, 2 Holley 750 Carbs, 9 Ford 40 Spline, Strange Spool, 40 Spline Axels, Gun Drilled, Strange Alum Center Section, Big Pinion, 4.11 Richmond Pro Gear

CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ME
JONESY'S MYSPACE PAGE

#3 woodeye

woodeye

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

I seem to have same problem. what have you found out? I guess i'll call gm service mang. see what this will cost.

2002 Silverado K1500 5.3 V8, Auto, Z-71 package with New Process 246GM Transfer Case 2.72 ratio- AutoTrac

The transfer case developed a pin hole in the rear case half which I repaired with Grey RTV.
Worked for about a week before a new pinhole develop in a different area - Both above the filler plug.
I understand there is a $2 clip that holds the pump in place and the design is insufficent, allowing the pump to rub against the thin wall, which creates the damage.

I believe this has been a problem on the magnesium cases for various transfer cases made by New Process.
I don't want to replace it with another new/re-manufacture unit that has the same design problem.

Is GM aware of this problem - TBs, SBs, recalls?

Is ther any re-course to rectify this problem. -> Still waiting a call from Service Manager and would like to know if there is anyone aware of this problem or had a similiar condition

Thanks to any response

#4 Slowrider5

Slowrider5

Enthusiast

• 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

What kind of quotes have people received for this? Mine has been going on for about 3 months. Fortunately I caught it and I make sure the t-case always has fluid. Haven't had time to find the hole on top yet to see if JB Weld will still cover it.

Advertise Here