Transfer Case Leaks - Magnesium Alloy Case

Capt.Slim-Jim

Question

2002 Silverado K1500 5.3 V8, Auto, Z-71 package with New Process 246GM Transfer Case 2.72 ratio- AutoTrac

The transfer case developed a pin hole in the rear case half which I repaired with Grey RTV.

Worked for about a week before a new pinhole develop in a different area - Both above the filler plug.

I understand there is a $2 clip that holds the pump in place and the design is insufficent, allowing the pump to rub against the thin wall, which creates the damage.

I believe this has been a problem on the magnesium cases for various transfer cases made by New Process.

I don't want to replace it with another new/re-manufacture unit that has the same design problem.

Is GM aware of this problem - TBs, SBs, recalls?

Is ther any re-course to rectify this problem. -> Still waiting a call from Service Manager and would like to know if there is anyone aware of this problem or had a similiar condition

Thanks to any response

0 answers to this question

I seem to have same problem. what have you found out? I guess i'll call gm service mang. see what this will cost.

2002 Silverado K1500 5.3 V8, Auto, Z-71 package with New Process 246GM Transfer Case 2.72 ratio- AutoTrac

The transfer case developed a pin hole in the rear case half which I repaired with Grey RTV.

Worked for about a week before a new pinhole develop in a different area - Both above the filler plug.

I understand there is a $2 clip that holds the pump in place and the design is insufficent, allowing the pump to rub against the thin wall, which creates the damage.

I believe this has been a problem on the magnesium cases for various transfer cases made by New Process.

I don't want to replace it with another new/re-manufacture unit that has the same design problem.

Is GM aware of this problem - TBs, SBs, recalls?

Is ther any re-course to rectify this problem. -> Still waiting a call from Service Manager and would like to know if there is anyone aware of this problem or had a similiar condition

Thanks to any response

Document ID# 1962218

2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Improved Oil Fluid Wear Pump Clip - keywords 136 149 246 246EAU 261 263 263EAU housing leak case transfer transfercase #PIP4118 - (04/17/2007)

Models: 1998-2007 Light Duty Trucks and Utilities

Equipped with New Venture Gear Transfer Cases RPO NP1, NP2, NP3, NP4, NP8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Oil pump wear clip P/N 12470559 is broken or out of position. This may cause the pump to wear a pin hole in the transfer case rear half. If the wear is severe the transfer case may be damaged due to lack of lubrication. The clip may fatigue and break. The clip may become loose and shift out of position.

Recommendation/Instructions:

A new clip design has been released. P/N 89059653 is available for both production and service. This new part totally cancels and supersedes the former P/N 12470559. Only the new clip will be available.

This new oil pump wear clip should be used whenever a transfer case is opened for any type of internal service. See photo. GMSPO currently has inventory of the new part.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Archived