97 Tahoe A/c Blowing Warm/cold

My 97 tahoe is blowing cold air, then warm. I purchased freon, but the gauge on the filler showed it was full.

As I am driving at highway speeds it blows cold air for a longer time than wam air, but still seems to blow the warm.

If it's not the freon, would it most likely be the compressor or the pressure regulator? Or is there another possibility that I'm missing?

Thanks,

My 97 tahoe is blowing cold air, then warm. I purchased freon, but the gauge on the filler showed it was full.

As I am driving at highway speeds it blows cold air for a longer time than wam air, but still seems to blow the warm.

If it's not the freon, would it most likely be the compressor or the pressure regulator? Or is there another possibility that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Don't know if they are the same, but my 2001 did this and it was the cycling switch.

Replaced it and no problems.

Von

I've always been told that the first place to check out is low pressure switch (I'm assuming thats the same thing as mentioned below). It's located on the dryer up by the firewall and can be checked simply by taping it. If your computer kicks back on when you tap on it, then likely as not the switch has gone bad. They are about $12 or so at any auto parts store and can be changed in about 5 minutes.

Also..a while back I had a similar problem and when I took it to the shop they did something I thought rather odd. The technician explained to me that sometimes the gap between the compressor clutch and the compressor will become farther and farther apart. He didn't really explain how, but the problem with this is the magnetic force is not strong enough to engage the clutch, and often times it will cause your AC to quit on you.

He removed the clutch and ground it down a little bit. He then reattached it and tightened everything up, and I haven't had a problem since.

I've always been told that the first place to check out is low pressure switch (I'm assuming thats the same thing as mentioned below). It's located on the dryer up by the firewall and can be checked simply by taping it. If your computer kicks back on when you tap on it, then likely as not the switch has gone bad. They are about $12 or so at any auto parts store and can be changed in about 5 minutes.

Also..a while back I had a similar problem and when I took it to the shop they did something I thought rather odd. The technician explained to me that sometimes the gap between the compressor clutch and the compressor will become farther and farther apart. He didn't really explain how, but the problem with this is the magnetic force is not strong enough to engage the clutch, and often times it will cause your AC to quit on you.

He removed the clutch and ground it down a little bit. He then reattached it and tightened everything up, and I haven't had a problem since.

Changed the pressure cycling switch. Can tell if it made a difference yet because I haven't driven enough, but it doesn't seem hopeful.

The compressor does seem to be fulling engaged.

I'll try to check the freon level again and see if its low know.

My brand new '07 Sierra Denali does the exact same thing! Cold then warm/stagnant air and then cold and then warm. This is no fun during the 95+ degree temperatures we are now having.

Dealer states that the high performance air conditioning system needs a periodic 'resting period' and it is within normal operating parameters for the vehicle.

I don't believe a word my dealer says anymore. They LIE and disrespect the customer. This truck is problem plagued and GM service is useless. Yes, I am disgusted by the miserable treatment and lack of solutions GM is providing.

Well, yesterday was +95 degrees with a heat index of 107. I drive home into the sun, so the sun works to keep the truck hot.

Throughout the trip, the a/c blew cold air. So, I would say the low pressure cycling switch was the problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Archived