Allison Oil Change

I'm needing to change oil in my 04 5 speed Automatic.If the oil is drained how much is left in the system?I'm switching oil and would rather do it myself but have never switched and checked capacity.Another thing is I looked through my owners manual and can not find the oil capacity for the Allison.Anyone know?

I'm needing to change oil in my 04 5 speed Automatic.If the oil is drained how much is left in the system?I'm switching oil and would rather do it myself but have never switched and checked capacity.Another thing is I looked through my owners manual and can not find the oil capacity for the Allison.Anyone know?

What does the service schedule say? I remember having mine changed at dealership @ the 20k mile mark(?), or something like that.

Remember to change the filter also.

My Ally was leaking few months ago. Dealer replaced a main seal...luckily I had the ext warranty and covered it all.

How long you had your 04 CC?

What does the service schedule say? I remember having mine changed at dealership @ the 20k mile mark(?), or something like that.

Remember to change the filter also.

My Ally was leaking few months ago. Dealer replaced a main seal...luckily I had the ext warranty and covered it all.

How long you had your 04 CC?

I've had it 1.5 years and swear I'll never sell it.It had 14k on it when I bout it and looked like it just had all the fluids changed by the dealership by the guy that owned it before me.It now has 33k.I serched in here and found to call allison for the spin on filter and I'm puting Royal Purple in everything but I still can't find the trans capacity if drained instead of flushed

I have an 8.1 with the allison and I recently drained fluid and replaced internal filter and spin on filter. If I remember correctly, I ended up putting about 9.5 qts back in. I don't recommend adding all of that from the start as you don't want to overfill. I put in 7.5qts to start and kept adding in increments until I got to the proper level. I didn't flush it so I don't know how much was left in the system. Hope this helps.

I have an 8.1 with the allison and I recently drained fluid and replaced internal filter and spin on filter. If I remember correctly, I ended up putting about 9.5 qts back in. I don't recommend adding all of that from the start as you don't want to overfill. I put in 7.5qts to start and kept adding in increments until I got to the proper level. I didn't flush it so I don't know how much was left in the system. Hope this helps.

9.5 qts sounds like you dropped the pan as well. I believe it's about 8.75 qts, just pulling the plug.

DEWFPO

According to what I'm getting your tanny takes 7.4 qts for a filter fluid change and 13 qts for a total exchange.

CAPACITIES

Engine, with filter..........6.5 quarts[1]

Cooling System, W/ MT Initial Fill..........21.0 quarts

Cooling System, W/ AT Initial Fill..........21.0 quarts

Automatic Transmission, Allison Initial Fill..........7.4 quarts[2][3]

Automatic Transmission, 4L60E 4-Shallow Pan Initial Fill..........5.0 quarts[4]

Automatic Transmission, 4L80E 4-Shallow Pan Initial Fill..........7.7 quarts[4]

Automatic Transmission, Total Fill

4 speed 4L80E..........14.0 quarts

5 speed Allison..........13.0 quarts

According to what I'm getting your tanny takes 7.4 qts for a filter fluid change and 13 qts for a total exchange.

CAPACITIES

Thanks....It looks like I need to flush it if I'm changing to a fifferent oil I didn't know there would be that much left

CAPACITIES

Thanks....It looks like I need to flush it if I'm changing to a fifferent oil I didn't know there would be that much left

If your are interested in a total cost of 13qt of AMSOIL ATF shipped to your door just let me know your zip code.

When I owned my 03' Dmax I went to an Allison dealership at the 50k mile mark to get the filters and fluid. A mechanic told me that it was a waste of money and time to replace the pan filter (that is the whole purpose of the spin on). I bought 8 quarts of fluid and the spin on. Also, he also said another thing. If a slush box is not broke do not fix it. I guess it learns to like it's fluid. I remember, my father had an 89 Gmc and flushed his tranny at 100K. He lost it about 2500 miles later. Go figure.

I've heard the "never change auto tranny fluid" story also. Just keep adding and topping her off when low. Hard to believe the Allison would be like that. I tend to follow the maintenance schedule as much as possible. But with my ext warranty my dealer guy will pretty much fix anything even if I neglect it...and bill the warranty company :)

Archived