2004 Gm Power Seat Diagram?

Does anyone have a diagram for the 2004 GM Power Seats, I have purchased the leather power seats with heaters for my 02 Tahoe to help my wife with a very bad back condition.

So far I have owned these for 4 mos or so and still don't know how to wire them to this truck. I can wire just fine and test voltage and continutity if necessary but these are computer controlled and I don't want to try without a scematic showing proper voltage requirements to each pin.

I am resigned to a custom install since all wireing changed from 02 to 04.

Any help is appreciated. I can offer help on many topics regarding these trucks but I am weak on this one.

Thank You

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

you need a cross body harness.....it runs from pass. seat to drivers seat to dash....then you would need your bcm and your door control modules programmed to recognize the new stuff....the part number for the harness you need is 15196953...but ill warn you it is over $600 on gmpartsdirect.com....you can try to get it from a junk yard...thats my best suggestion...you also need the memory and heat module but it should be under your new heated drivers seat mounted to the frame....i am unsure of how this harness plugs into the main body harness as i have not got to do it yet.....i have been trying to figure this install out now for over a month i have had the seats longer than that...i spent over an hour at my local GMC place today with my mechanic and a guy from the parts department but we finally found it.....see my post about it...i just wrote it today...after i do the install i will post a better how to with pics if required....you know you will need the door panel switches also....they plug into your window switches and are surface mount so you just cut the hole you need and snap the switches in...

hope this helps let me know how it goes

I put 04 leather seats in my 01 Suburban. I did several months of research on this conversion. 03 and newer trucks have a "body module" or computer, inside each door. These modules control the power seats and windows. There are also modules mounted underneath the seats and these modules communicate back and forth with the modules in the doors by a wire called a "databus" wire. PRE-03 truck have no databus, nor any of these modules, so it would be a VERY expensive and involved conversion. If your truck is an 03-up on the other hand, you already have the computers and would only need the correct harnesses.

But now here's the part where I tell you how I hooked up my 04 seats in my 01 truck. I ended up hooking up the power motors but not the memory function or the seat heaters, as there is no way to do it without the modules and harnesses. On the bottom of the 04 seats the harness that would plug up to the carpet has like 30 wires. There are only 3 wires you need to worry about. A thinner wire (around 18 or 20 guage) black with a white stripe. This is your seatbelt wire, on the drivers seat only. The wire coming out your carpet should be the same color. The other 2 are thicker (about 12-14 guage) one is orange, the other is black. these are your power and ground wires. If your 02 had power seats, you should have these coming out of your carpet as well, if not, run a new power wire from your underhood fuse panel and you can make a good ground to the floor under the carpet. If your factory seat have airbags (as mine did) the plugs are the same, they plug right up. As for the heaters....I decided the cheapest thing to do would be to add aftermarket seat heaters in place of the factory ones as I found its MUCH easier to wire up and less than 1/5th the cost of everything needed to get the factory ones to work. I ordered a kit off Ebay for about 120 bucks per seat. I ended up doing only the driver's seat as thats the only one I ever sit in. (lol)

I put 04 leather seats in my 01 Suburban. I did several months of research on this conversion. 03 and newer trucks have a "body module" or computer, inside each door. These modules control the power seats and windows. There are also modules mounted underneath the seats and these modules communicate back and forth with the modules in the doors by a wire called a "databus" wire. PRE-03 truck have no databus, nor any of these modules, so it would be a VERY expensive and involved conversion. If your truck is an 03-up on the other hand, you already have the computers and would only need the correct harnesses.

But now here's the part where I tell you how I hooked up my 04 seats in my 01 truck. I ended up hooking up the power motors but not the memory function or the seat heaters, as there is no way to do it without the modules and harnesses. On the bottom of the 04 seats the harness that would plug up to the carpet has like 30 wires. There are only 3 wires you need to worry about. A thinner wire (around 18 or 20 guage) black with a white stripe. This is your seatbelt wire, on the drivers seat only. The wire coming out your carpet should be the same color. The other 2 are thicker (about 12-14 guage) one is orange, the other is black. these are your power and ground wires. If your 02 had power seats, you should have these coming out of your carpet as well, if not, run a new power wire from your underhood fuse panel and you can make a good ground to the floor under the carpet. If your factory seat have airbags (as mine did) the plugs are the same, they plug right up. As for the heaters....I decided the cheapest thing to do would be to add aftermarket seat heaters in place of the factory ones as I found its MUCH easier to wire up and less than 1/5th the cost of everything needed to get the factory ones to work. I ordered a kit off Ebay for about 120 bucks per seat. I ended up doing only the driver's seat as thats the only one I ever sit in. (lol)

Hey, Thanks for your reply, you are the first I have heard of that made this work. I have been holding off on this project for quite a while hoping to learn how do do this.

I have looked into aftermarket seat heaters but I did not purchase. How do they work? On your drivers seat did you have to put in the new seat heater blanket or were you able to use the electronics from the new kit and tie into the factory heater? Sounds like you replaced the factory unit. I have heard it takes most of a day to install the aftermarket units. Sorry if I reply slowly, I only check this forum a couple times per week.

Thanks again.

Mark

you need a cross body harness.....it runs from pass. seat to drivers seat to dash....then you would need your bcm and your door control modules programmed to recognize the new stuff....the part number for the harness you need is 15196953...but ill warn you it is over $600 on gmpartsdirect.com....you can try to get it from a junk yard...thats my best suggestion...you also need the memory and heat module but it should be under your new heated drivers seat mounted to the frame....i am unsure of how this harness plugs into the main body harness as i have not got to do it yet.....i have been trying to figure this install out now for over a month i have had the seats longer than that...i spent over an hour at my local GMC place today with my mechanic and a guy from the parts department but we finally found it.....see my post about it...i just wrote it today...after i do the install i will post a better how to with pics if required....you know you will need the door panel switches also....they plug into your window switches and are surface mount so you just cut the hole you need and snap the switches in...

hope this helps let me know how it goes

Thanks so much for the reply, I was starting to think I was the only one silly enough to attempt this update.

I do have the 04 seats and the control module is mounted under one of the seats. I am willing to sacrifice the memory controller but I will need to activate the seat heaters and the full adjustable options. My 02 seats currenty are manual and cloth. I don't have the electrical hook up for power seats. I think this was an optional harness. I will get moving on this project and maybe we can come up with answers. I do have the door panel switches that match my seats but no wire harnesses.

I found a site that sells the connectors to custom wire the seats but the connectors for the seats, I think they are a 16 pin connector runs about $80.00 and there is no indication what comes with it. I suspect it would be the connector with wires stubbed out to splice into a damaged harness.

I will search this again with your part number for the harness. I need to come up with the door switch harness as well.

It would help a lot to come up with a wire diagram that shows voltage to the seat controller.

Scottieboy has figured out how to run some of the seat functions and his choice of an aftermarket seat heater may be a good one.

I was at a shop where a good GM mechanic was trying to add power windows to a new GM truck that was purchased without power windows. The job was quoted at $3,000. expecting the customer to decline but the guy accepted the bid for $ 3,000. The mechanic had been working on it a week and told me he lost his shorts on the job because of all the computers and modules involved. He had all the right parts installed but needed to reflash the factory computer to recognize power windows before they would work when I talked with him they still would not work. He advised selling the truck and buying the right truck.

Lets hope this gets easier.

Mark

You will save a TON of money, time and headaches by just forgetting about trying to get the factory heaters and memory function to work. The memory, I could care less about and didnt even try and pursue it. As for the aftermarket seat heaters, they completely replace the factory ones. I did all that research already. The only thing remotely close to getting the factory seat heaters to work (and I'm still not 100%sure this would work, but I did check into it) would be to get some seater heaters from 00-02 seats as they don't have the complex wiring and computer that the 03+ seats have. I also tried to find out if I could get 00-02 harnesses and try to wire up the 04 seat heaters, but never could find an answer or anyone who had done it. So instead of buying the 00-02 harness, I just bought a whole new seat heater setup that was guaranteed to work in any seat. The aftermarket heater mounts in place of the factory one, and you just mount the included switch (I mounted mine in my center console) and wire up and ground and Ign wire. Don't hook it up to a constant 12v because you can run your battery down if you forget to turn the heater off when you get out your truck. But you can hook up the power seats to a 12volt constant because they dont use power unless you hit the switch to move the seat. All I hooked up on my seats are those orange and black wires I mentioned and have full control of all power movement, and all power lumbar functions. Beleive me, I've been up the same road, and this is the EASIEST and cheapest solution. If you have money to toss, go ahead and have everything converted, if not, do it like I described. If you wire them up like I did, all you will need is some wire and butt connectors (less than 20 bucks tops.) If you decide to put an aftermarket seat heaters in, you could do both front seats for less than 300$ (still far less than a factory harness alone!) Check out this auction on ebay.

You will save a TON of money, time and headaches by just forgetting about trying to get the factory heaters and memory function to work. The memory, I could care less about and didnt even try and pursue it. As for the aftermarket seat heaters, they completely replace the factory ones. I did all that research already. The only thing remotely close to getting the factory seat heaters to work (and I'm still not 100%sure this would work, but I did check into it) would be to get some seater heaters from 00-02 seats as they don't have the complex wiring and computer that the 03+ seats have. I also tried to find out if I could get 00-02 harnesses and try to wire up the 04 seat heaters, but never could find an answer or anyone who had done it. So instead of buying the 00-02 harness, I just bought a whole new seat heater setup that was guaranteed to work in any seat. The aftermarket heater mounts in place of the factory one, and you just mount the included switch (I mounted mine in my center console) and wire up and ground and Ign wire. Don't hook it up to a constant 12v because you can run your battery down if you forget to turn the heater off when you get out your truck. But you can hook up the power seats to a 12volt constant because they dont use power unless you hit the switch to move the seat. All I hooked up on my seats are those orange and black wires I mentioned and have full control of all power movement, and all power lumbar functions. Beleive me, I've been up the same road, and this is the EASIEST and cheapest solution. If you have money to toss, go ahead and have everything converted, if not, do it like I described. If you wire them up like I did, all you will need is some wire and butt connectors (less than 20 bucks tops.) If you decide to put an aftermarket seat heaters in, you could do both front seats for less than 300$ (still far less than a factory harness alone!) Check out this auction on ebay.

well if you have seat switches out of an 04 they probably wont plug up to your 02 door switches...man i dont really know what to tell you....other than what the other guy was telling you.....just wire up the orange and black and get aftermarket seat heaters...i have put the aftermarket seat heaters in my C5 corvette and they are a pretty easy install...unless you can find 02 seats...or are willing to change the parts on the 04 seats to 02 seats....like the memory and heat module and so forth.....but i think if you got those things and the actual harness that is inside the seat changed...then go the correct 02 body harness i think then you could make it all work like factory...hope this helps...sorry dont know too much about 02s

My younger brother (may he rest in peace) had the same problems putting newer seats in his 01 Tahoe. We both researched the subject for quite some time until we came upon the most logical solution. We both did the same thing, just got the power functions wired up. But I went one step further and added the heat. He said he wasnt too worried about the seat heaters beacuse the winters in New Orleans are only about a month long at most. And it rarely gets below 35 down there. On the other hand, I live 300 miles north of New Orleans , and I hated sitting on ice cold leather.

Thanks again for taking the time to help with this subject. My wife will be one happy lady if I ( We ) can get the new seats working. After a couple of surgeries on her back travel goes much better with heated adjustable seats. My real job has been keeping me too busy to check back often enough this week.

Did you use the OEM seat heater with aftermarket controller or install new heaters in your seats. I know the complete kits are very reasonable and have researched them. I really don't care what the price is for the hook up of the heaters but the day long job of installing the new element does not entice me since elements are already in the seats.

I will post results once I get into this.

Mark

My younger brother (may he rest in peace) had the same problems putting newer seats in his 01 Tahoe. We both researched the subject for quite some time until we came upon the most logical solution. We both did the same thing, just got the power functions wired up. But I went one step further and added the heat. He said he wasnt too worried about the seat heaters beacuse the winters in New Orleans are only about a month long at most. And it rarely gets below 35 down there. On the other hand, I live 300 miles north of New Orleans , and I hated sitting on ice cold leather.

Thanks for reading and helping, very sorry about your brother. You guys did an incredible job on that Tahoe.

Very custom. This forum has really helped understand this issue and offered great tips.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you are tracking this post please be patient, my son took off with this truck when his car broke down so I have not had access to install the new seats. I will report once I get them installed. Oh well, parenthood, got to help once in a while.

• 5 months later...

The posts above are right on. The seat installation with all power functions except memory and heat takes very little effort. The two wires control all seat functions.

I still don't have memory or heat but I keep looking for an answer to that.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to hear you got everything going. I knew you could do it if I did. As for the heaters, just get an aftermarket kit like I did. You'll have to peel the leather off and replace the elements, run wiring, mount the switches, etc. Its not that hard. Time consuming, yes, but not hard. AS for the memory, I dont know what to tell you. I havent the slightest clue. I figured it was more trouble than it was worth. For starters, the memory is controlled by the body control module (but the pre-03 trucks the BCM doesnt have that function) So anything short of converting your entire computer, wiring, and electrical system to the newer style with the databus computers, its not gonna happen. Maybe some computer wizard out thare may possibly know how to "hack" the BCM to load it with the software to control the memory function, who knows? I just gave up on it, because its not a big deal to me. The only time I ever even have to move my seat is if my wife has been driving. But luckily for me I'm not so lazy to point where I need my seat to adjust itself rather than me hold a finger on the switch for a few seconds.

Good to hear you got everything going. I knew you could do it if I did. As for the heaters, just get an aftermarket kit like I did. You'll have to peel the leather off and replace the elements, run wiring, mount the switches, etc. Its not that hard. Time consuming, yes, but not hard. AS for the memory, I dont know what to tell you. I havent the slightest clue. I figured it was more trouble than it was worth. For starters, the memory is controlled by the body control module (but the pre-03 trucks the BCM doesnt have that function) So anything short of converting your entire computer, wiring, and electrical system to the newer style with the databus computers, its not gonna happen. Maybe some computer wizard out thare may possibly know how to "hack" the BCM to load it with the software to control the memory function, who knows? I just gave up on it, because its not a big deal to me. The only time I ever even have to move my seat is if my wife has been driving. But luckily for me I'm not so lazy to point where I need my seat to adjust itself rather than me hold a finger on the switch for a few seconds.

Alright guys here is a suggestion that I have done a few times now....alot of us have the 99-02 Trucks, probably with the Power Heat and Memory, but we want the 03-06 seats because we all know they are a lot more comfortable.....so here is what I have done, and I wish I had the picture to show you but I don't right now....what I did in my 01 Regular Cab was go out to the yard and grabbed the Floor Harness and Door Harness and Heated Seat Switches, I then bought a set of 01 Seats with all the goodies on them...I took them home and ripped them down to nothing but the frames, then basically what I did was I had a set of 03-06 seats and I took those apart, and I installed the Seat Foam and Leather from those seats onto the 01 frames....reason I did this...everything still remains plug and play...you don't have to try to modify you wiring to get all of this to work....you will have to integrate your 99-02 heated seat elements into the new 03-06 seats so all the electronics remain the same, but aside from that it makes it alot easier from an electrical point of view, and yes it does take some time! Anyway I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere and show you! Any questions please ask I just did this swap again for a guy two weeks ago.

I said that in a previous post (read he posts above) that it could be done that way. Or at least I was pretty sure it could be done that way. But rather than pay all the money for 00-02 seats, just to take the guts out of them, I decided to just go with aftermarket heaters. I figured it was actually cheaper, and I was getting brand new heaters, not junkyard stuff thats been out in the weather for who knows how long. Now if the memory function was really a big deal to me, than I could see doing it that way. But I wasn't worried about the memory function.

Archived