Problems With Odometer/trip/hr Meter

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pizzaboy

pizzaboy

Enthusiast

• 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

Hi .. I have a 2003 GMC sierra ext-cab 4x4 with 16k on her. I'm having a problem with the Odometer/Trip/Hr. When I start my truck it always changes from english to french or to spanish. Then I change it to english and then I will drive it to the store or something it will change back to french or spanish. I dont really use my truck to much in the summer because I ride my streetbike to work. I use the truck once in a while . She has a new battery in her (the factory battery terminal broke off spilling acid on my battery tray) Does anyone have an idea what might be causing my problem??

Thanks

#2 ChevyTech007

ChevyTech007

Enthusiast

• 624 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

Subject: Information on How to Change IPC/DIC Language - keywords cluster display English French IPC Spanish trip #PIT3404A - (07/25/2006)

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI has been revised to add additional model years. Please discard PIT3404.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Starting in model year 2003, the IPC/DIC is able to read out in 3 difference languages: English, Spanish, and French. Some questions have been received concerning how to change the DIC Language, mainly on vehicles without steering wheel controls.

Recommendation/Instructions:
To change between the languages on vehicles with steering wheel controls, follow Document ID # 867116 in SI.

Vehicles without steering wheel controls follow the procedure below:

Turn ignition on.
Use the trip rest stem to display the Odometer on the DIC.
With the Odometer displayed press and hold down the trip reset stem, after 3-5 seconds the DIC will begin to scroll thru the 3 difference languages.
Continue to hold down the trip reset stem until the desired language is displayed then release the trip reset stem.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
EARTH FIRST we'll pave the rest of the planets later.

#3 pizzaboy

pizzaboy

Enthusiast

• 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

Yes.. I know how to change the languages .... My problem is that the truck is changing them on its own.

What would cause that ??

#4 griz8000

griz8000

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Did you find a solution to this problem. I am having the exact same problem?

Yes.. I know how to change the languages .... My problem is that the truck is changing them on its own.

What would cause that ??

#5 Alljackedup408

Alljackedup408

Short Bus Rider

• 626 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

sounds like it could use a reprogram
Posted Image

"Yah cant fix stupid"

#6 griz8000

griz8000

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Is a reprogram a dealer only thing?? Also, what will they reprogram? It is almost like the button (the one that resets the trip meter and scrolls through the Odometer, Hourmeter) is sticking or it thinks its sticking?

sounds like it could use a reprogram

#7 eem03

eem03

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

I have a 03 gmc z71 that my 16yr. son drives with the same problem. It has a mind of it's own. I was driving it this week and all of a sudden it started flashing language options. We have reset the language to english with the trip button per instructions above, but it started flashing three languages option shortly afterwards. After 10-15 minutes, I looked at it and it was in French (I think). I have disconnected battery hoping it would reset but on vale. Today when I attempted to reset it again, the odometer/mileage reading did not display. It only flashed language options and I understand it can only be reset while displaying the mileage.

What's involved in a re-program? Any help would appreciated.

Ed

#8 TwinTip

TwinTip

Enthusiast

• 29 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

I have a 2003 Yukon and yesterday I reached 59,000 miles. Since then, the display started to change settings, from odometer, to tip, etc., and today, it started to change languages, similar to what has been described in previous posts on this thread. I have set the language to English a few times already only to find that after a few minutes the display is changing settings again. The trip resets constantly from the time that the engine is started to the time it is turned off.

A reprogram of the computer has been suggested but there are no responses on whether this solves the problem or not. Any ideas? Does this have to be done at the dealer or can a do-it-yourselfer do it?

#9 govtech

govtech

Enthusiast

• 116 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

dealer or a shop that has purchaced GM information and can reprogram

no do it yourself stuff
WARNING: Above advise is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.lol

#10 TwinTip

TwinTip

Enthusiast

• 29 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

To provide up update for future reference, I took my Yukon to the dealer and asked that they check on reprogramming of the computer. Well, to make it short, I was advised that the cluster panel needs to be replaced, reprogramming, in my case, will not solve the issue.

#11 Brian's Speedometer

Brian's Speedometer

Enthusiast

• 1 posts
  • Drives:2011 avalanche

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

hello to all with the problem above i have seen the problems in many 2003-2006 chevy silverado,tahoe,suburban,avalanche,gmc yukon,sierra,many more with the language scroll and it is in the ipc cluster but i have the fix,ive repaired over 10,000 of these clusters and others
Brian's Speedometer
1002 south caddo
muldrow,ok.74948
918-427-9889
we repair speedometer,abs modules,climate controls,ficm,overhead compass

#12 snake428

snake428

Enthusiast

• 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

We have all repaired the steeper motors what is there to fixing for a repair on the language switching problem?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users