New Thermostate With Coolant Change?

I am going to take my truck to a local mechanic and get the radiator fluid changed out. He recommend putting in the green stuff in the radiator instead of the dexcool. But he also recommends a new thermostat. He said it will help the truck run better or more efficient. Have you guys ever hear of this?

I would think it would depend on the mileage of the truck and condition of the coolant removed...it would be less expensive to do it with the coolant change than later.

Are you considering a new oem temperature thermostat or a lower temperature thermostat?

Does your truck have a carburetor or does it have fuel injection controlled by a PCM?

Don't let him talk you into a cooler thermostat unless you know the affects of doing so. That will do nothing other than allow the coolant to circulate earlier (ie, 160 vs 190 for example) into the engine block and cooling system.

After the thermostat opens (at whatever temperature) the coolant will be what it will be depending on many other factors...condition of coolant, ratio of water/coolant, ambient air temperature, ignition timing, AFR, electric fan(s) on/off settings, air flow through the radiator, radiator condition inside and outside, copper or aluminum radiator, hose condition, operation with or without a shroud, radiator cap condition, roadway temperature, moving or idling, etc.

If you have electric fan(s), a tune can change the on/off settings along with a change in thermostat temperature to allow for better cooling if that's a specific problem. It might also have other affects that you might not need or want...reduction of winter optimal heater temperatures, richer AFR if the motor is computer controlled, less mpg, optimal oil temperatures affected, possible premature engine wear, etc.

Don't let him put in anyting but Dexcool. Not all "green" antifreezes have the proper additives to prevent electrolysis of aluminum parts. I guarantee he is using the cheapest stuff he can find. The reason he wants to use the green stuff is because it is so much cheaper than the Dexcool. More of a profit margin for him.

As for the thermostat, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I've seen them freeze shut before. Just make sure he isn't going to charge you any more than $20 for the thermostat.

Simply put if it isn't broken don’t fix it. The shop is just trying to make more money.

Don't use green. if the shop doesn't flush the system correctly and the two mix you will have more problems than you want. When they mix it gels up clogs s**t up. It is not worth the risk.

Simply put if it isn't broken don’t fix it. The shop is just trying to make more money.

Thats if the shop actually puts a new one in. I bet when they change it the housing seal never gets broken. :driving:

Don't use green. if the shop doesn't flush the system correctly and the two mix you will have more problems than you want. When they mix it gels up clogs s**t up. It is not worth the risk.

+1

Jaslo, assuming you are talking about the 01 Silverado, I would not use "green stuff". Not the old green stuff nor the newer multi vehicle formula that many shops are using. This new multi veh formula simply has not proven itself to me yet. Why would anyone want to use it when the antifreeze designed specifically for their vehicle is readily avail. In the case of your truck, that is Dexcool and that is the only thing I would allow to be put back in it.

In the case of the thermostat. I will have to respectfully disagree with Bobcat. If your truck is an 01 I am assuming it could have close to 100k on it. While you are flushing the system change the stat. The stat is a "wear item" and they do wear out. If it sticks open it will not put you down on the road, but it will effect the way your truck runs as well as the MPG. If it sticks closed, you are dead in the water and could run the truck hot causing more problems. Stats are cheap, he should not charge you much to put it on since he will already have the coolant drained. Although he may be going to make more money if he sells you a stat, I do not think he is trying to sell you something you do not need.

I see you have some mods. I cannot advise you on a cooler temp stat but I know some people do step down to a cooler stat with certain tunes. I just do not know enough about this to comment.

Jaslo, assuming you are talking about the 01 Silverado, I would not use "green stuff". Not the old green stuff nor the newer multi vehicle formula that many shops are using. This new multi veh formula simply has not proven itself to me yet. Why would anyone want to use it when the antifreeze designed specifically for their vehicle is readily avail. In the case of your truck, that is Dexcool and that is the only thing I would allow to be put back in it.

In the case of the thermostat. I will have to respectfully disagree with Bobcat. If your truck is an 01 I am assuming it could have close to 100k on it. While you are flushing the system change the stat. The stat is a "wear item" and they do wear out. If it sticks open it will not put you down on the road, but it will effect the way your truck runs as well as the MPG. If it sticks closed, you are dead in the water and could run the truck hot causing more problems. Stats are cheap, he should not charge you much to put it on since he will already have the coolant drained. Although he may be going to make more money if he sells you a stat, I do not think he is trying to sell you something you do not need.

I see you have some mods. I cannot advise you on a cooler temp stat but I know some people do step down to a cooler stat with certain tunes. I just do not know enough about this to comment.

Yup! Double Yup!

Wow, you guys are telling me the opposite of what the mechanic told me. He says he has been using this other antifreeze(forgot the name of it) on newer vehicles. And if I want to use the dexcool it will cost me whatever the cost is, he said maybe $20.00. He is charging me like $100 to change the coolant, I guess that is because he would have to flush it out several times to make sure there isn't any dexcool left in it and maybe he is including the price of changing out the thermostat also. Mr. Goodwrench said he would charge me $70 to $80 for changing the coolant and all they do is a drain and refill, but no thermostat. Maybe I will have to talk to the mechanic to dicker with price of what he is doing. Also, I have read different topics on here, and I have read that some of guys on here recommend using the green stuff, so which should I use? And yes, my truck has about 98,000 miles.

Wow, you guys are telling me the opposite of what the mechanic told me. He says he has been using this other antifreeze(forgot the name of it) on newer vehicles. And if I want to use the dexcool it will cost me whatever the cost is, he said maybe $20.00. He is charging me like $100 to change the coolant, I guess that is because he would have to flush it out several times to make sure there isn't any dexcool left in it and maybe he is including the price of changing out the thermostat also. Mr. Goodwrench said he would charge me $70 to $80 for changing the coolant and all they do is a drain and refill, but no thermostat. Maybe I will have to talk to the mechanic to dicker with price of what he is doing. Also, I have read different topics on here, and I have read that some of guys on here recommend using the green stuff, so which should I use? And yes, my truck has about 98,000 miles.

You might want to check w/ the Chevy dealer again....I think it's more than just a drain and refill. My local dealer actually does a flush for that kinda money utilizing a machine that takes 95% (their claim) of the old coolant out of the system and replaces it w/ new stuff. I do agree changing the thermostat at this time is a good idea!

Sounds like that guy and that shop are ripe for getting whatever certifications they have revoked.

The rule is Never-EVER use the green stuff with aluminum. Ever see what happens to an aluminum boat without it's sacraficials on? That'll happen to the inside of your engine if you run green stuff though a cast iron block with aluminum heads and radiator if it already ran dexcool.

Well, he told me that he has used the other stuff on newer pickups. Maybe it's just better that I pay the extra money and have him get the dex-cool stuff. My local chevy dealer, said all they can do, is a drain and refill. If thats the case, I think they are a little high on their prices.

Well, he told me that he has used the other stuff on newer pickups. Maybe it's just better that I pay the extra money and have him get the dex-cool stuff. My local chevy dealer, said all they can do, is a drain and refill. If thats the case, I think they are a little high on their prices.

I wouldn't have him within a 100ft of my truck.

He may be a good tech otherwise but at some point someone convinced him that Dexcool was bad. It was designed for your engine has been proven with millions and millons (billions and billions) of miles of real street driving and it is the right coolant for your truck.

If you decide to use him, pay the difference, have him flush it, replace the stat and refill it with Dexcool. You will be happy you did.

Jaslo, I will offer one more thing. There is a product called Kool It (#96001)made by Lubegard. It's primary purpose is to lower coolant temps but I use and recommend it for another reason. Most of today's vehicle's cooling systems are comprised of multiple materials i.e. alum, iron, plastic, rubber etc. When coolant passes through these materials it acutaly generates and electrical current called "electrolysis". This condition can be fatal to some cooling system components. Kool it will completely eliminate all Chemical Electrolysis from the system. It is so good, that Modine Radiator company recommends it in writing.

We recommend and sell a great deal of this product, especially every time a system is drained for heater core, radiator or water pump replacement. I would suggest that once your job is complete, add one bottle to your coolant. I always say, there are many chemicals on the market, most are made to sell but a few are made to use. This one is a great product and made to use.

Archived