Photo
- - - - -

Wix Vs Mobil 1 Vs K&n Oil Filters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#16 2500HD 8.1

2500HD 8.1

Enthusiast

• 216 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:08 AM

It looks like Wix #51045 is the largest/tallest filter for our trucks. 4.8" vs. K&N's 4.5". Whether than translates to better filtering or more filtering media, one can only cut it open and test it. I'm sure all 3 are good filters, but I want to see what everyone was using.
Posted Image
2004 CHEVY AVALANCHE Z71
Hypertech Programmer | Airaid MIT | K&N Filter | PIAA Hi & Lo | NGK Iridiums | Sunroof
2008 DODGE CHARGER SRT-8
1997 JEEP WRANGLER SAHARA
1987 PONTIAC TRANS AM GTA 350
Sold: 2005 Yukon Denali, 2003 Suburban 2500 LT 8.1L, 2001 Suburban LS 2500 8.1L, 2000 Yukon SLT 4WD, 1999 Ford F-250 Powerstroke

#17 denalikid

denalikid

Enthusiast

• 29 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

Anybody know the Amsoil filter number for NBS Sierra/Silverado?

#18 hotwheels57

hotwheels57

Enthusiast

• 299 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

I saved this from another site. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the information or the knowledge of the person who provided it...

The 07 Classics as well as the NBS 07 Silverados( all V8 engines = 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L )all take that new filter. It is not the same as the earlier filters and will not fit as you discovered. While the overall size is the same the new filter uses metric threads( 22X1.5 MM ). The old ones used SAE threads( 13/16-16 ). Many parts stores do not even have the application listings yet or if they do show it they don't stock them yet. Filter was 1st used in 06 on the Z06 Vette( possibly others? )and is now used on most 07 vehiles
The previous filters were the long PF61( 02 and earlier )and the short PF46( 03-06 )for the Silverado V8's. The PF46 is the same basic filter as the PF61 just shorter( approx 3.5" tall )with a higher burst rating and slightly better filtration rate. The PF46 filter runs through 06 for the V8 Silverados. The PF46 and PF61 are interchangeable room permitting.
The new filter used starting wiith 07 Classics on the V8 trucks is a PF48. It is the same approx size as the PF46. I do not know if there is a long version of this filter? I do not believe there is though as this filter is used everywhere including the Vette. There just is no new long filter that I know of that has the proper spec's and metric thread?
Car mfg's are trying to stream line and make fewer filters so this one is being used a LOT. They are dropping the PF46 because they now have this new one( PF48 - of course why not just keep using the PF46 as it is the exact same size ). You would have to check stats( ie; thread, seal diameter, burst pressure, etc... )and see if you could find a long one. All the 07 V8 "gas" Silverado's( 1/2 tons & HD's and 4.8L/5.3L/6.0L )take this filter.
Here is a list of the part #'s for the new filter that I can find( FYI - not all mfg's even have it yet ). Obviously it is not all of them. Just the ones I know of at this time...

AC - PF48
K&N - HP-1017
Mobil1 - M1-113*
Wix - 57060
Napa Gold - 7060( relabeled Wix )
Baldwin - B160
Hastings - LF613
Purolator Premium Plus - L12222
Purolator Pure One - PL12222
Fram - PH10060**
STP - S10060**
Champ - PH48
SuperTech(Wal-Mart) - ST10060**
Penzoil - PZ167**
Carquest - 84060

* - the Mobil 1 site does not show a filter for this application/equivelant to PF48. I found this filter being shown by application on another site and when entered at various filter sites it does cross to the PF48 filter line for that mfg.

Would you like some cheese with your whine, sir?

#19 Draenor

Draenor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,605 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

Anybody know the Amsoil filter number for NBS Sierra/Silverado?

Hit Black02Silverado with a PM. He's a Amsoil distributor, he would know.

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#20 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

Wix has been supplying us (CARQUEST) since the mid 80s or even before. They build an excellent product and supply us with both our Premium (Blue Line) as well as our Economy (Red Line).

I have been in the auto parts industry for 29 years and have sold AC Delco, Hastings and Wix, all good filters. In all the training classes and seminars I have been associated with, it comes down to this. Filtering vs flow. A filter can be made to filter out almost anything including the oil that is supposed to be passing through it. There is a fine line to making a filter that flows as the OE specifies and also catches the dirt. You will also see that some filters do well when first installed but they have not dirt holding capacity and they do not test well after a few thousand miles.

I have nothing against K & N, Mobil or others (well except Fram) but I believe that Wix does a great job in building a filter that flows as required but still traps the dirt. Even their economy line filter is a great filter and uses the same quality construction as the premium filter but the filter media is not the same. My only comment on AC Delco is that they do not actually mfg their filters but contract them out. The actual mfg can change from year to year as the contracts change. However, these mfgs have to meet AC's specs and I have seen many filters cut open and the AC's always appear to be of good quality.

I will add, all filters with the exception of the newer extended drain filters are done for after 5K to 6K miles. If you are running extended drain intervals, you need to be changing the filter at least by 6K.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#21 rogersbowtie

rogersbowtie

Enthusiast

• 539 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

Wix has been supplying us (CARQUEST) since the mid 80s or even before. They build an excellent product and supply us with both our Premium (Blue Line) as well as our Economy (Red Line).

I have been in the auto parts industry for 29 years and have sold AC Delco, Hastings and Wix, all good filters. In all the training classes and seminars I have been associated with, it comes down to this. Filtering vs flow. A filter can be made to filter out almost anything including the oil that is supposed to be passing through it. There is a fine line to making a filter that flows as the OE specifies and also catches the dirt. You will also see that some filters do well when first installed but they have not dirt holding capacity and they do not test well after a few thousand miles.

You get what you pay for....Have owned & maintained commercial vehicles and have seen "Brand F" come apart on some smaller vehicles. With $15K+ tied up in an engine, cheap filters don't pay. Will only use WIX or Hastings (Carquest or NAPA). One should have the same attitude with a $30K truck.

#22 Spoonman

Spoonman

Enthusiast

• 188 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

I recently changed to Wix, sounds like a good product. I will have to admit that fram sure is/was tempting at the Walmart especially the ones with the "bed-liner" material applied for extra grip. I guess they have a patent on that or something, I wish other make would do it as well.

#23 z85violator

z85violator

Enthusiast

• 195 posts
  • Name:matt
  • Drives:2000 gmc sierra ext cab 4x4 5.3l ,4l60e, 4.10ratio

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

i use fleetguard filters. i sell them to my customers that use them on their $40,000 diesel engines. very good quality. cummins uses these as their oe filters aswell.

#24 BryanH

BryanH

Enthusiast

• 241 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

cummins uses these as their oe filters aswell.

Maybe because Cummins owns fleetguard.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4WD 4WS

#25 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

i use fleetguard filters. i sell them to my customers that use them on their $40,000 diesel engines. very good quality. cummins uses these as their oe filters aswell.

Fleetgaurd as well as Baldwin are both offer very high quality products. The problem is they are not readily available to most people unless they are willing to locate a Heavy Duty Truck supplier. We run into them all the time in fleets and nobody can take anything away from their quality.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#26 Outbacker

Outbacker

Enthusiast

• 626 posts
  • Drives:2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

Working in the marine industry, we use Wix oil filters and never had a problem. Since I have had the truck, it has only seen one filter: Wix.
Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2008 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab, 5.3 L Iron block, 3.73 rear ratio, Katzkin leather interior, Putco vent visors, Westin step bars, Prodigy brake controller
Posted Image

#27 gccoley

gccoley

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Amsoil Ea filters are now manufactured by wix for Amsoil, same filter as the wix but with a different media.
1999 Silverado,5.3,G80,Indigo Blue, Amsoil from front to rear. Posted Image Posted Image

#28 Failanater

Failanater

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 8,207 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

I was buying the K&N Oil Filter until I actually learned more about it. If you read the box the k&n oil filter only catches about 90% of impurities. Now I know thats nothing to worry you about much because they are made for racing but when it comes down to protecting your engine I want a filter that protects my engine more than any other brand.. I think Mobil 1 is like 92-95% Efficient I really cant remember what it was exactly but it was suprisingly better than k&n and like $4 dollars cheaper at least from Auto zone....
Posted Image

You dont have a gf do you??? :lol:

may be on to something. :lol:

Advertise Here