Photo
- - - - -

Brake Bleeding Sequence

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 c4cruiser

c4cruiser

Enthusiast

• 846 posts
  • Name:George
  • Drives:08 Black Silverado Z71 6.0

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

It's time to do a brake fluid flush on my 99 Silverado Z71. Can anyone tell me the specific caliper bleed sequence that's printed in the FSM?

I have a Motive pressure bleeder that I will be using. Will 15 psi be enough to force fluid thru the ABS side so the fluid in there can be bled/replaced without having to use a Tech II to run the ABS module??
George

08 Black Silverado LTZ Z71 Ext. Cab VortecMax 6.0 StabiliTrak
87 Gold Vette Coupe
02 Electron Blue Vette coupe supercharged

#2 krww06

krww06

Enthusiast

• 136 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

It's time to do a brake fluid flush on my 99 Silverado Z71. Can anyone tell me the specific caliper bleed sequence that's printed in the FSM?

I have a Motive pressure bleeder that I will be using. Will 15 psi be enough to force fluid thru the ABS side so the fluid in there can be bled/replaced without having to use a Tech II to run the ABS module??

I don't have the manual in front of me, but I've never seen it recommended any other way than the following: Passenger Rear, Driver Rear, Passenger Front, Driver Front. You start with the one furthest away from the master cylinder and move to the next furthest, etc.

You should be fine with 15 PSI. I usually pump mine up to between 12-15 PSI. Just don't run the master cylinder dry and you shouldn't have to worry about getting a Tech II tool.

#3 cerbomark

cerbomark

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,687 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

:crazy: right on! I usually take as much out of the resivior as i can without letting it go low enough to let air in before I start. No sence pushing all that old fluid through.
Posted Image
2009 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

#4 Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel

Enthusiast

• 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:12 AM

rule of thumb is always go in order from farthest to closest to the master cylinder. So like KRWW said is right on.

SS

#5 Bish

Bish

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,670 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

Same suggestion as the rest of the posts. The motive power bleeder makes it a breeze!

You won't get any into the abs circuit. I have bled the brakes then gone on a gravel road to engage the abs unit, then back to a second round of bleeding. But then again, I'm pretty anal about maintenance.
2008 Yukon Denali AWD Red Jewel
6.2L, 6L80E EFILive and a BlackBearPerformance tune. GMPP CAI, Hotchkis Front/Rear Sway Bars
2008 Buick Enclave - All GM for us now!

#6 cmoore74

cmoore74

Enthusiast

• 573 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

Ditto for bleed order. 15 psi gage works great. Don't go too high.
Chris
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4 Z71 Dark Green Metallic
Performance Mods: Superchips Flashpaq, AEM Brute Force intake, Corsa Touring exhaust
Functional Mods: Line-X spray-in bed liner, BakFlip hard folding tonneau cover, Nasta stainless steel step bars, AVS window vents and bug deflector, Cover-Craft seat covers, Husky mudguards, Scan Gauge 2 w/ x-gauge, DU-HA behind rear seat storage bin