Ez Lift Tailgate?

Hey guys, I've had my truck for a little over one week now, and I've been wondering what the EZ Lift Tailgate is supposed to do.

It does feel smooth to me, but c'mon it's a brand new truck...besides, I've been lifting weights 5x week for years now...it just doesn't feel like there's anything especially "EZ" about lifting the tailgate on my truck. Yet on the window sticker of my truck, it says it comes equipped with it:

EZ LIFT TAILGATE PACKAGE:

LOCKING TAILGATE

EZ LIFT TAILGATE

($95.00)

Is there a special mechanism or device on the hinges that could help identify whether that particular tailgate is the EZ LIFT kind?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, it's just a spring assist that lightens the feel of the tailgate, i.e. makes it easier to open and close because it feels lighter than it actually is! As a comparison, my 05 Nissan Frontier tailgate felt about 40 lbs heavier than my GMC tailgate, and it was tough to close with one hand while you had your hand full. The GMC Tailgate with the EZ Lift is a piece of cake. If you really want to see the difference, go to your dealership and find one with EZ Lift and one without sitting side by side and open and close both, the difference will become real clear!

I was told at the dealership that GMC also added in a torsion bar to the tailgate to better distribute the weight. This torsion bar makes it such that you don't get deflection in the tailgate when you close it, which sometimes happens on really hot days and days where you just want to "close" the tailgate and go home.

Another experiment, grab the center of an EZ gate and close it, then open and then clsoe again, but this time put your hand near the left or right edge od the tailgate. It will feel extacly the same as in the middle. Do the same on a non-EZ tailgate.

Had one on my Titan. It also allowed the tailgate to ooze down slowly when opened. Also made the gate feel very light when shutting. Not sure if the GM does that. My new GMC doesn't have it and I manage to get the gate shut after putting down my beer.

If you need an EZ lift tailgate, you should be driving a Prius. :D

My new GMC doesn't have it and I manage to get the gate shut after putting down my beer.

If it means I can close my tailgate without putting down my beer, it's worth every cent of that $95.00!

Had one on my Titan. It also allowed the tailgate to ooze down slowly when opened. Also made the gate feel very light when shutting. Not sure if the GM does that. My new GMC doesn't have it and I manage to get the gate shut after putting down my beer.

You let your beer ride in the bed of your truck?

Oh my.

Archived