Ez Lift Tailgate?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had one on my Titan. It also allowed the tailgate to ooze down slowly when opened. Also made the gate feel very light when shutting. Not sure if the GM does that. My new GMC doesn't have it and I manage to get the gate shut after putting down my beer.

You let your beer ride in the bed of your truck?

Oh my.

You know how those Texas Fans are.

HOLY TOLEDO... Here's the best reply yet...

I think it's a great option. Now my wife can unload feed bags by herself and close the tail gate when she is done.

• 4 months later...
Can it be added to my tailgate? 07 NBS 1500 LD Ext. cab WT

I don't believe so. The torsion spring runs inside the tailgate across the bottom in line with the hinge point. The torsion assist is contained entirely within the tailgate though, and another tailgate with the option could be easily swapped. That would be leaving the realm of the $95 upgrade.

its really nice when you have it installed, you dont have to worry about have it slam down. and you can no joke pick it up with a pinky

Had one on my Titan. It also allowed the tailgate to ooze down slowly when opened. Also made the gate feel very light when shutting. Not sure if the GM does that. My new GMC doesn't have it and I manage to get the gate shut after putting down my beer.

I tried to open and close the tailgate on a new Titan truck the other day and it was surprisingly easy to do. I knew they have been using some kind of torsion spring assist on it for a few years now. It is standard equipment on all Titan trucks I believe. Why isn't this device standard on GM trucks as well?

Using a torsion spring like this is old technology. Many cars have torsion springs to counterbalance the trunk lid and make it stay up when raised.

But when they use this old technology on a pickup, all of a sudden it is a reinvented wheel.

i think they are a gas assisted strut but i could be wrong

...read post #3 and post #6...and read this... :D

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/prelaun...ch_tailgate.jsp

If you really want to enhance you tailgate lowering experience, just add an "EZ Down" strut to gently lower the gate. It works whether or not you have the EZ Lift option, doesn't effect lifting force required. $50-$60 most anywhere aftermarket products are available.

I think it's a great option. Now my wife can unload feed bags by herself and close the tail gate when she is done.

You're married to... a horse? Most people's wives eat groceries....

Um, and if your wife can actually lift a feed bag, she ought to be able to lift a tailgate no problem!

Um, and if your wife can actually lift a feed bag, she ought to be able to lift a tailgate no problem!

Maybe his wife just eats like a horse?

Maybe his wife just eats like a horse?

Or maybe she feeds out of the bags by lowering the tailgate and then can close it when she is done? :D

I don't have the EZ-Lift, but I had a 1999 Sierra and this new truck feels like it has it compared to my 1999.

and btw......if I had to put my beer down to close the tailgate........well it would just have to stay open.

Archived