Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ausdoug

2001 Silverado 2500hd W/ 8.1 Camshaft Position Sensor

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD with 8.1L engine. Diagnostic code (p0342) indicates camshaft position sensor low input. Has someone replaced this sensor that could describe exactly where I would find it on the engine... left side, back, etc.

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD with 8.1L engine. Diagnostic code (p0342) indicates camshaft position sensor low input. Has someone replaced this sensor that could describe exactly where I would find it on the engine... left side, back, etc.

front side of engine on the drives side about half way up the timing cover, not hard to get to and had the same problem on my 01 8.1l

front side of engine on the drives side about half way up the timing cover, not hard to get to and had the same problem on my 01 8.1l

Thanks for the reply.

You said driver's side of engine. On the front of the engine. On the timing chain cover. about half way up it. Should be able to find it since it has wires going to it. I'm glad to see it isn't hard to get to.

How much did you have to pay for the CPS?

My 2002 8.1 is an early build, and it has never given any trouble. Although, after reading of some that have had trouble, I am considering replacing mine witha new GM piece as part of preventive maintenance.

Last week my truck started stalling and going into no start mode. I thought it was the cam shaft sensor. The 8.1 also has a crankshaft sensor and thats what went out on mine. It is a bear to get to on the bell housing and costs about 3 time more than the cam sensor.

My 2002 8.1 is an early build, and it has never given any trouble. Although, after reading of some that have had trouble, I am considering replacing mine witha new GM piece as part of preventive maintenance.

I haven't purchased the sensor yet but using the intranet... I saw one for about $43 (AC-Delco) on Amazon and for about $53 at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

I haven't purchased the sensor yet but using the intranet... I saw one for about $43 (AC-Delco) on Amazon and for about $53 at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Part purchased. Installed (it was a bear to do as you had to use mostly one hand) and problem fixed.

Part purchased. Installed (it was a bear to do as you had to use mostly one hand) and problem fixed.

Hello there! I am new to this forum and I also have a P0342 Low voltage input light indicating the Cam position sensor. I have been looking for the sensor on the engine for two days now and finally found this forum. I will be looking on the driver side, front, timing cover for the sensor this afternoon. One post said it is a bear to get to and another said it was easy. So which is it.

I think there refering the camshaft sensor is easy yet the crankshaft sensor is a bear as its on the back of the enigne.

Fyi,

GM issued a recall on the crank shaft sensors in Dec of 2007 for 2001 8.1L's. Take your truck in and get it fixed for freeee!

Glad the Cam Pos. sensor is easy. I'll likely be doing it before too long as well.

Good Luck,

Rob

Anyone with an 03 8.1 have any issues with their camshaft sensor? I have a no start(Slow start) condition on mine. It will start after several tries(Heavy fuel smell after it starts), then it runs fine(Fuel smell goes away). I replaced the crankshaft sensor and the fuel pump last november. Code p0343. Also, do the suburban's 2500 have one or two fuel pumps?

RE:Recall of CPS.

My local dealer says the only recall on this truck was wheel-related. Can you provide any backup or advice on how I can get them to do this replacement as promised, i.e. some kind of official recall notice I can show them?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.