Cb Radio And Antenna

Cowhoy

Thinking about picking up a good CB radio (Uniden PC78ELITE) but before I buy one my main concern is the antenna issue. I am looking for something that could.......

1. Be removed easily (Truck washes)

2. Easy to wire from inside to outside the cab

3. Stay low enough to make it through the parking garage at work (Already hitting my radio antenna when going to the upper level)

I have been doing some research and found some cellular-type window mounts (inside/outside glass) but i am not sure if it would pick up a good signal. Any advice, tips, or pictures of your CB setup would help me out alot. Also, would it be easy to hook up a PA horn under the hood? Thanks in advance guys!

I have a 05 so I don't know about the NBS. I'm a Ham radio guy and can offer a couple of suggestions.

The "thru the glass" antennas do not work as good as others. As a general rule with antennas, the bigger the better. If you use a "Mag Mount" antenna base it can be moved to the bed when you go thru a car was or parking structure. A "Mag mount" is a antenna base with a magnet that has the coax attached and the antenna screws on to it.

As far as getting the coax into the cab, I'm looking into that for my truck also. So far I have found that between the cab and bed there is a vent out of the cab and I'm going to try that. Be carefull about coming thru the door opening as if you crush the coax it will change the performance.

If you can run a fused 12v power and ground line from the battery as it will usually give less interferance as the interior power outlets.

Good luck.

You could poke a hole thru one of the floor drain plugs and route the cable into the cab. My thing is where to mount the radio, as I am not a fan of drilling holes into the dash. Also old uncle larry, how does one become a ham operator? I think that would have some benefits down here in LA (...i.e. in a time of a hurricane. ) Sorry about the small threadjack....

Thinking about picking up a good CB radio (Uniden PC78ELITE) but before I buy one my main concern is the antenna issue. I am looking for something that could.......

1. Be removed easily (Truck washes)

2. Easy to wire from inside to outside the cab

3. Stay low enough to make it through the parking garage at work (Already hitting my radio antenna when going to the upper level)

I have been doing some research and found some cellular-type window mounts (inside/outside glass) but i am not sure if it would pick up a good signal. Any advice, tips, or pictures of your CB setup would help me out alot. Also, would it be easy to hook up a PA horn under the hood? Thanks in advance guys!

Try this below... it is a "L" Type bracket that allows you to put the antenna by the fron hood, but not damage the exterior of the vehilce... I have done this type of mount for other radios... If you need further help... message me.

http://www.walcottcb.com/product_info.php?...products_id=311

Ok, I think I am going to go with Stake-hole mount with a 2' antenna (I know I will not get the best reception but thats my only option due to the parking garage). Now my question is how to run the wire back into my cab? Any suggestions?

And thanks for the fast replys guys!

i haven't looked at mine .. but normally there are some fairly good sized rubber grommets in the floor / rear of the cab that you can run cables through ...

there also is a bracket that mounts where the third brake light is .. that gives mounting locations for antennas and extra lights ... (all wiring ran through the 3rd brake hole)

The "Stake-hole mount with a 2' antenna" will work but limit your signal as it will be below the cab but life if full of compromizes.. Let us know how you end up running the coax.

Also old uncle larry, how does one become a ham operator? I think that would have some benefits down here in LA (...i.e. in a time of a hurricane. ) Sorry about the small threadjack....

Check out this web site and look for a club in your area. They should be able to point you in the right direction or look up the training info on the same site. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml

Good luck.

The "Stake-hole mount with a 2' antenna" will work but limit your signal as it will be below the cab but life if full of compromizes.. Let us know how you end up running the coax.

Also old uncle larry, how does one become a ham operator? I think that would have some benefits down here in LA (...i.e. in a time of a hurricane. ) Sorry about the small threadjack....

Check out this web site and look for a club in your area. They should be able to point you in the right direction or look up the training info on the same site. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml

Good luck.

there is a club in NO ... and a few others around you IIRC ... i stop in at the one in my town from time to time ... (twin city ham club)

In regards to antennas... for best/better performance, at least get a whip that clears the roof line... Otherwise you will be blocking your own transmit/receive capabilities.

It does not have to be Statue of Liberty high... just a bit above the roof line will suffice... although, the high you go, the better off trans/receive WILL be.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Riggs

well....

Firestick makes a nice cb antenna.... it has a tunable tip so you can adjust easy if you have a quick release...

Firestick also makes the quick release....

i paid $25 for 2 of them for my truck and so far they have lasted a whole winter, (ive had them for about a year).... i use them at least once a week since i usually go through the car wash once a week, and it takes me less than 20 seconds to take both antennas off and throw them in the truck... then when your done it takes all of another 20 secs to slide them on turn them and they are locked on........ for your cut the time in half since you will only have 1

BTW i have

Cobra 29LTD Classic Peaked/Tuned with all of the toys :)

and 2 3Ft Firestick 2's

For anyone that has a roof rack on their truck, this is a nice idea for an antenna install. It's for a Hummer, but it can be adapted.

I am required to use whip flags occasionally off-road on construction sites and will be adapting this idea to that instead. I already have the brackets but haven't put them on yet.

http://www.eeaston.com/hummer-projects/cb-install

Archived