Front End Noises

Hello, I have had my truck for five years now, During that time I have had the ball joints replaced three times, the altenator, power steering pump, belt tensioner, camshaft position sensor. All of this has been under warranty. Lately while driving down the road, when I turn the steering wheel slightly right, I get a high pitched noise. After I go so far it goes away. I also have noises coming from the suspension/tie rod area. I lubed those points and the noises went away until the next rainfall. What I would like to know is if anyone else has these problems and if so what did you do to fix them. Are there any options out there to replace these lube points with something that will last longer or endure driving through water puddles. I just feel that these things shouldn't be happening this often. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I believe there are 11 greese fittings on the front of the truck, atleast there are 11 I have found that I lube on a regular basis. (every 3 months) the cost of a tube of good synthetic doesn't deter me from keeping fresh lube in those critical points.

If you are getting a high pitched noise at speed you may want to check the wheel bearing/hub assembly for wear, I just had one placed about a month ago under warranty (bought the truck used, got a 1 year warr). I had the same problem on my other truck not long ago as well.

The tie rod's on these trucks seem very under rated for a HD truck. I haven't heard many problems about them but I plan on replacing mine as soon as I can with a heavier replacement part as I would imagine they are just about worn out.

Everything is subject to wear under the conditions you present to your truck, if it sees lots of mud and puddles items will wear out faster. I change my powersteering fluid once a year, brake fluid every 3 years, lube everything I can and hope for the best!

Archived