Reduced Engine Power Codes 2135, 1515, 220, 1516

jade03

Question

help! I've had the '03 GMC sierra Z71 5.3 only few months, 2 days after purchase i got the "Reduced engine power" mess, took it to the dealer and they told me I needed to replace the throttle body (electronic), the TAC module. I first replaced the TB, it was fine for a few days, then got more codes- but not the TB code-, so I replaced the TAC module and it was fine for a few more days, then more codes w/reduced power- they were reading pedal sensor (APP)- I replaced that and didint even make it home before the reduced power. I went to all my throttle connections to make sure they were clean ect.. and they were.... (I started noticing gettting the reduced power on bumps in the road and the hotter the outside temp got) I finally looked under the fuse box and saw a rodent had chewed off the casing off of two wires (a big blue one w/single connection, and a big red one coming off the fuse block) the two could have been coming in contact w/ each other so i seperated them left the cover off and drove to work for 2 days (about 15 mi one way) NO PROBLEMS! So the wire was not damaged just the insulation i coated them withe several coats of liquid electrical tape, kept them well seperated installed the cover and every thing was fine....... for about weeks.... now in the afternoons I've got to stop three time w/ getting reduced power on the highway or residentials just to get home, it seems more likely when my rear mirror temp reads over 88*. I removed the fuse block cover and even lifted the tray and everything still looks fine..... I'm at the end of what I can think of??? (getting codes now of 2135, 1515, 1516, 0220) :(

0 answers to this question

Here are some bull and pi that will help you. From what I have seen the likey cause is the t/b connector and the grounds behind both heads. There is also updates for the pcm for these codes.

999999995.gifSubject:SES Light And Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135 - keywords accelerator actuator APP blade body connector connection DTC L33 L59 LH6 LR4 LM7 LS1 LS2 LQ4 LQ9 module position reduce sensor #PIP3089B - (10/31/2006)

Models:2004-2006 Buick Rainer

2005-2006 Cadillac CTS-V

2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Monte Carlo, Silverado, SSR, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer

2003-2006 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon

2003-2006 Hummer H2

2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

Equipped with a 4.8 5.3 6.0 or 7.0 V-8 Engine

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1869994&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss1-1869994">

Condition/Concern:

A vehicle may be brought into the dealer for a reduced power message, and DTCs P0120, P0220, P1516, P2101, or P2135.

The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) / throttle body type trouble codes, may be caused by a loose wiring crimp at the throttle body connector, or a broken throttle body circuit.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1869994&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss2-1869994">

Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If a intermittent T/P or TAC module type code is occurring complete the inspections below.

1. <LI type=1>Inspect all related throttle body terminals for a loose wiring crimp. The loose crimp may be difficult to find, and the poor connection will be between the terminal and the copper strands of the wire. Wiggle test the individual throttle body circuits to see if the concern can be duplicated. <LI type=1>Inspect the related circuits for broken wires inside the insulation. The outer wire insulation may look fine, but the internal copper strands may be partially broken. Breaks in the wires usually occur within 1 to 4 inches of the throttle body connector. Wiggle testing may also induce a trouble code to set.

2. On C/K trucks complete SI procedures for voltage drop on grounds G103 and G104. Grounds G103 or G104 may be loose or corroded.

If a terminal crimp or a broken wire has been found, repair or replace only the circuits involved. There is a throttle body pigtail connector available through GMSPO, but installing this pigtail connector may cause other intermittent TAC module/TP codes at a later date. If this pigtail must be used, please follow the SI procedures for Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves. (the proper Kent-Moore crimping tool must be used for this repair)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gifWE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

999999995.gifSubject:Lack of Power with TAC Module Code of P1518 Reduced Power Mode -kw 4.8 5.3 6.0 DTC ETC L59 LM4 LM7 LQ4 LQ9 LR4 P1516 P2108 P0220 P0120 performance power throttle U0107 #PI00411C - (12/23/2003)

Models:.

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1418033&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss1-1418033">

Condition/Concern:

Customers may have a concern of lack of power and engine light on. DTCs set will almost always contain a P1518 and may contain any of the following (P1516, P2108, P0220, P0120, U0107). An improperly torqued TAC module ground may be at fault. The Ground is listed as G104 on TAC module schematic which is incorrectly labeled on SI document ID 855376. The correct ground is G103. The locator for SI states that G103 is located on the left hand side which is incorrect. However, there have been field reports stating that G104 has also corrected this condition. G104 is a horizontal bolt in the rear of the left head and extremely difficult to reach. G104 should also be tightened at the same time.

There have also been field cases where ground G110 on the outer drivers side frame rail caused a P1518 code and an intermittent connection at splice 102 on the intake.

All published SI diagnostics should be followed in addition to following the recommendation listed.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1418033&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss2-1418033">

Tighten ground G103 located behind the right cylinder head (passenger side) just below the head and mounted into the block. The ground uses a 13 mm bolt head mounted vertically to the engine block just above the bell housing.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1418033&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss3-1418033">

Models:

(03 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD, 4WD) and (03 GMC Sierra 2WD, 4WD) and (03 Chevrolet Tahoe 2WD, 4WD) and (03 Chevrolet GMC Yukon 2WD, 4WD) and (03 Chevrolet Suburban 2WD, 4WD) and GMC Yukon XL 2WD, 4WD)

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. Subject:Check Engine Light On with No Driveability Concerns, DTC P0120, P0220, P1516, P1518 (Clear Code) #03-06-04-032 - (06/16/2003)

Models:2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LQ9, LQ4,)

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1346034&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss1-1346034">

Condition

Some owners may comment that the Check Engine Light is illuminated and there is no driveability concern. Upon investigation, the technician may find codes P0120, P0220, P1516 or P1518. Also, technicians may note that low voltage codes P0562, P0563, P1637 or P1638 have been set.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1346034&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss2-1346034">

Cause

The Tach module may set the code in error if it operates at a battery voltage of 4.5 to 5.0 volts.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1346034&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss3-1346034">

Correction

If the vehicle has stored one of the low voltage codes, P0562, P0563, P1637 or P1638, follow the appropriate diagnostics for the low voltage code. In most cases, this will lead to correcting the concern without replacing any Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) components.

If codes P0120, P0220, P1516 or P1518 are present without any of the low voltage codes, the technician should observe the Engine RPM in the fault record.

• If the Engine RPM in the fault record is zero and the customer indicates that the vehicles has experienced a low voltage condition, the code should be cleared and the low voltage should be diagnosed and corrected.

• If the Engine RPM is zero and the customer indicates that there have been no low voltage conditions, then the P1516 diagnostic aids for intermittent concerns should be used to diagnose and correct the vehicle

• If the Engine RPM is greater than zero, then check for an obvious loose ground at G103 located next to the right cylinder head just below the head and mounted into the block. Also, check G104 located behind the left cylinder head. Then verify all electrical connections at the TAC module.

If the concern is still not resolved, contact Technical Assistance.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1346034&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss4-1346034">

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the applicable labor operation for the repair performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Co

hey thanks for the info! I will save it to look thru, a few days after I posted that I read about the ground on the cyclinder head (the one your speaking of) and I had scheduled to take it into the dealer the next day.. well to my suprise that night it didn't appear to be any thing wrong with the ground (just tried to wiggle it) but that night and morning I had no codes! the truck even cleared after the 3 starts, well I canceled the dealer trip and have now gone 600 somethin miles with no problems!!...... But now I'll go and double check that ground (thanx for the size!) But I did see the pigtail off the TB has been replaced and it looks like a pro job (all the wires are white coming out of the plug?) and I'll keep that as a first suspect if any more problems

help! I've had the '03 GMC sierra Z71 5.3 only few months, 2 days after purchase i got the "Reduced engine power" mess, took it to the dealer and they told me I needed to replace the throttle body (electronic), the TAC module. I first replaced the TB, it was fine for a few days, then got more codes- but not the TB code-, so I replaced the TAC module and it was fine for a few more days, then more codes w/reduced power- they were reading pedal sensor (APP)- I replaced that and didint even make it home before the reduced power. I went to all my throttle connections to make sure they were clean ect.. and they were.... (I started noticing gettting the reduced power on bumps in the road and the hotter the outside temp got) I finally looked under the fuse box and saw a rodent had chewed off the casing off of two wires (a big blue one w/single connection, and a big red one coming off the fuse block) the two could have been coming in contact w/ each other so i seperated them left the cover off and drove to work for 2 days (about 15 mi one way) NO PROBLEMS! So the wire was not damaged just the insulation i coated them withe several coats of liquid electrical tape, kept them well seperated installed the cover and every thing was fine....... for about weeks.... now in the afternoons I've got to stop three time w/ getting reduced power on the highway or residentials just to get home, it seems more likely when my rear mirror temp reads over 88*. I removed the fuse block cover and even lifted the tray and everything still looks fine..... I'm at the end of what I can think of??? (getting codes now of 2135, 1515, 1516, 0220) :D

CODE 1515 IS TPS, DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACTUAL AND DETECTED THROTTLE POSITION

CODE 1516 IS TPS, SENSOR OUT OF RANGE

CODE 0220 IS TPS SENSOR #2 OR REFERANCE VOLTAGE OUTSIDE OF NORMAL RANGE (MODELS WITH TAC)

CODE 2135 IS TPS 1AND 2 CORRELATION

I WOULD SAY YOUR TPS IS BAD

Here are some bull and pi that will help you. From what I have seen the likey cause is the t/b connector and the grounds behind both heads. There is also updates for the pcm for these codes.

999999995.gifSubject:SES Light And Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135 - keywords accelerator actuator APP blade body connector connection DTC L33 L59 LH6 LR4 LM7 LS1 LS2 LQ4 LQ9 module position reduce sensor #PIP3089B - (10/31/2006)

Models:2004-2006 Buick Rainer

2005-2006 Cadillac CTS-V

2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Monte Carlo, Silverado, SSR, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer

2003-2006 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon

2003-2006 Hummer H2

2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

Equipped with a 4.8 5.3 6.0 or 7.0 V-8 Engine

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1869994&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss1-1869994">

Condition/Concern:

A vehicle may be brought into the dealer for a reduced power message, and DTCs P0120, P0220, P1516, P2101, or P2135.

The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) / throttle body type trouble codes, may be caused by a loose wiring crimp at the throttle body connector, or a broken throttle body circuit.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1869994&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss2-1869994">

Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If a intermittent T/P or TAC module type code is occurring complete the inspections below.

1. <LI type=1>Inspect all related throttle body terminals for a loose wiring crimp. The loose crimp may be difficult to find, and the poor connection will be between the terminal and the copper strands of the wire. Wiggle test the individual throttle body circuits to see if the concern can be duplicated. <LI type=1>Inspect the related circuits for broken wires inside the insulation. The outer wire insulation may look fine, but the internal copper strands may be partially broken. Breaks in the wires usually occur within 1 to 4 inches of the throttle body connector. Wiggle testing may also induce a trouble code to set.
  2. On C/K trucks complete SI procedures for voltage drop on grounds G103 and G104. Grounds G103 or G104 may be loose or corroded.

If a terminal crimp or a broken wire has been found, repair or replace only the circuits involved. There is a throttle body pigtail connector available through GMSPO, but installing this pigtail connector may cause other intermittent TAC module/TP codes at a later date. If this pigtail must be used, please follow the SI procedures for Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves. (the proper Kent-Moore crimping tool must be used for this repair)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

999999995.gifSubject:Lack of Power with TAC Module Code of P1518 Reduced Power Mode -kw 4.8 5.3 6.0 DTC ETC L59 LM4 LM7 LQ4 LQ9 LR4 P1516 P2108 P0220 P0120 performance power throttle U0107 #PI00411C - (12/23/2003)

Models:.

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1418033&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss1-1418033">

Condition/Concern:

Customers may have a concern of lack of power and engine light on. DTCs set will almost always contain a P1518 and may contain any of the following (P1516, P2108, P0220, P0120, U0107). An improperly torqued TAC module ground may be at fault. The Ground is listed as G104 on TAC module schematic which is incorrectly labeled on SI document ID 855376. The correct ground is G103. The locator for SI states that G103 is located on the left hand side which is incorrect. However, there have been field reports stating that G104 has also corrected this condition. G104 is a horizontal bolt in the rear of the left head and extremely difficult to reach. G104 should also be tightened at the same time.

There have also been field cases where ground G110 on the outer drivers side frame rail caused a P1518 code and an intermittent connection at splice 102 on the intake.

All published SI diagnostics should be followed in addition to following the recommendation listed.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1418033&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss2-1418033">

Tighten ground G103 located behind the right cylinder head (passenger side) just below the head and mounted into the block. The ground uses a 13 mm bolt head mounted vertically to the engine block just above the bell housing.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1418033&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss3-1418033">

Models:

(03 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD, 4WD) and (03 GMC Sierra 2WD, 4WD) and (03 Chevrolet Tahoe 2WD, 4WD) and (03 Chevrolet GMC Yukon 2WD, 4WD) and (03 Chevrolet Suburban 2WD, 4WD) and GMC Yukon XL 2WD, 4WD)

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. Subject:Check Engine Light On with No Driveability Concerns, DTC P0120, P0220, P1516, P1518 (Clear Code) #03-06-04-032 - (06/16/2003)

Models:2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LQ9, LQ4,)

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1346034&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss1-1346034">

Condition

Some owners may comment that the Check Engine Light is illuminated and there is no driveability concern. Upon investigation, the technician may find codes P0120, P0220, P1516 or P1518. Also, technicians may note that low voltage codes P0562, P0563, P1637 or P1638 have been set.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1346034&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss2-1346034">

Cause

The Tach module may set the code in error if it operates at a battery voltage of 4.5 to 5.0 volts.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1346034&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss3-1346034">

Correction

If the vehicle has stored one of the low voltage codes, P0562, P0563, P1637 or P1638, follow the appropriate diagnostics for the low voltage code. In most cases, this will lead to correcting the concern without replacing any Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) components.

If codes P0120, P0220, P1516 or P1518 are present without any of the low voltage codes, the technician should observe the Engine RPM in the fault record.

• If the Engine RPM in the fault record is zero and the customer indicates that the vehicles has experienced a low voltage condition, the code should be cleared and the low voltage should be diagnosed and corrected.

• If the Engine RPM is zero and the customer indicates that there have been no low voltage conditions, then the P1516 diagnostic aids for intermittent concerns should be used to diagnose and correct the vehicle

• If the Engine RPM is greater than zero, then check for an obvious loose ground at G103 located next to the right cylinder head just below the head and mounted into the block. Also, check G104 located behind the left cylinder head. Then verify all electrical connections at the TAC module.

If the concern is still not resolved, contact Technical Assistance.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1346034&psdid=304&evc=sm#ss4-1346034">

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the applicable labor operation for the repair performed.

© Copyright General Motors Co

Archived