Fuel Injector Cleaner

Use Techron injector cleaner, it actually works and I think it's the same stuff that GM sells. I used it on my '06 Vibe that had a bad misfire and it cured it completely. It even cleans the fuel level sender switch that is a common problem on our trucks.

2nd the Techron. It is expensive but it really works. There are a couple of other premium cleaners all costing about the same. If you add one of the $2.00 bottles that is just what you will be getting.

Not only do I use the Techron, I also use Chevron fuels which have Techron added.

I used BG44K and I think it is worth every penny. I poured in a can and added 93 Octane for good measure and I noticed the difference about 1/4 of a tank later. I also used it on my wife's 99 4Runner 4X4 3.4L and it worked like a champ. In the past you could only get this at a dealer or professional mechanic shop. I have now found it in several Auto Parts Stores so I always keep a couple of cans in my garage. Between uses I run 93 Octane about every third tank and run 89 Octance the rest of the time.

Like the others have said, there are multiple choices out there and you get what you pay for.

Mike, Texaco is owned by Chevron and they offer the same fuel and at least in our part of the country they even advertise the fact their fuel contains Techron.

As Kyle said, Seafoam is a wonderful product and we sell enough of it in a year to float a ship. I do use it on occasion but when it comes down to the best, I will have to stick to the Techron.

Be careful when you are buying Techron. Chevron offers a "fuel inj cleaner with Techron". That is not what you are looking for, you want the pure stuff. It will run you approx $10.00 for a 20 oz bottle and that will treat 20 gallons.

Mike, Texaco is owned by Chevron and they offer the same fuel and at least in our part of the country they even advertise the fact their fuel contains Techron.

As Kyle said, Seafoam is a wonderful product and we sell enough of it in a year to float a ship. I do use it on occasion but when it comes down to the best, I will have to stick to the Techron.

Be careful when you are buying Techron. Chevron offers a "fuel inj cleaner with Techron". That is not what you are looking for, you want the pure stuff. It will run you approx $10.00 for a 20 oz bottle and that will treat 20 gallons.

So I think ill try the Techron but where can I buy it? No Chevrons or Texacos around here at all. I just think its time to try a cleaner because I dont always feel 100% about the fuel in my area.

Mike, the Techron comes in a black bottle in either 12 oz or 20 oz. You need the 20 oz bottle and the part # is 65740. If you have a CARQUEST store in your area, we carry it in most of our stores. If not, you can find it at most Auto Parts Stores.

I will 2nd what Aiden has said about the Lucas upper cyl lube. I actually run it in every tank at the rate of 1 oz per 3 gallons of fuel. It is a wonderful upper cyl lube but I do not feel it's cleaning properties are as good as the Techron. It will certainly help your MPG but not a tremendous amount. The increase in MPG helps offset the cost but the real benefit to the Lucas is the upper cyl lube in my opinion.

the real benefit to the Lucas is the upper cyl lube in my opinion.

Thats the reason I use it. I pretty much always burn premium fuel from ESSO. It has a lot of cleaners in there anyway, and every now and than I run chevron 94+ through. It has techron added and its at least 94 octane (some shipments are as high as 98), that cleans everything out really well.

I need to do something with my TB soon, its pretty grungy in there, looks like someone used a K&N in it before I got it. I just have the problem of throttle by wire, and apparently it don't like sea foam/deep creep, or so I've been told.

Aiden, I think you are ok cleaing your TB with a spray such as Deep Creep or MMM's TB cleaner. You just have to use is sparingly I am told to not let it get into the drive by wire mechanism. The electronics for the Drive by wire are all on the outside but I believe it was Redvett that suggested you could use too much cleaner and it could actually get into the DBW electronics. Mine is DBW as well and I have cleaned it with no issues. I prefer the MMM cleaner and use it sparingly.

I have a buddy that uses a cheap electric toothbrush to reach in past the butterfly. He spays it down good, then uses the toothbrush to clean up the goop. Sprays it again and wipes it out with a clean cloth.

Hey thanks Trey, I'm Going to try it as soon as I get back home. I'm on the opposite end of Canada right now, doing some training for my job with the Navy. But when I get back I'll try it out and see what happens.

My other thought was to strip the TB apart and clean it that way, but I wasn't really too keen on that idea.

So I think ill try the Techron but where can I buy it? No Chevrons or Texacos around here at all. I just think its time to try a cleaner because I dont always feel 100% about the fuel in my area.

I buy my Techron at Walmart when I'm in the USA.

Archived