How To Change Heater Blower Resistor?

My heater/AC control only works on high so I figured out the resistor needs to be replaced. Where can I find it. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado. Replys will be very very helpful.

Remove the big black cover with the round end under the glove box where the cabin air filter is. You'll see it attached to the fan box.

• 2 months later...
My heater/AC control only works on high so I figured out the resistor needs to be replaced. Where can I find it. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado. Replys will be very very helpful.

Remove the big black cover with the round end under the glove box where the cabin air filter is. You'll see it attached to the fan box.

I have a 2005 Colorado with the same fan motor problem - only runs on level 4 (high); where is the resistor box located and is there a part number for replacement

If the resistor is blown, there is probably a good reason. You should also check the blower itself so you dont end up changing the resistor again in a few days/weeks when it blows out again because the blower motor is starting to go bad. My 93 had some noise in the blower bearings for a while when "I didnt have time" to change it.. finally my resistors burned out for the lower settings and I ended up changing everything and everything worked great then. My dad went through 3 sets of resistors before finally changing the blower motor like I told him to do the first time :D

Mike is right and wrong. A bad blower will take out a resistor but resistor replacement especially the original on a 2000 is common. Gm used to use a card (very thin) with resitances built in to control blower speed they overheated easily and died. In the last couple of years we have gone to a much beefier type of resistor that dissapates heat much better. Go GM only on the replacement and if your resistor goes bad in xx time not sure how long probably a year you get a new one for free then buy the motor.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old threaad but I figured I'd ask...

I'm the new owner of an 05 2500 HD.

I'v had it for a week or 2 and I just noticed,,, when the fan is off,

it still puts out heat or air(depending on what the temp is set on.

Someone said this is normal .

I dident think it was,,,I alway turn the fan off and nothing comes out the vent.

• 2 months later...
I know this is an old threaad but I figured I'd ask...

I'm the new owner of an 05 2500 HD.

I'v had it for a week or 2 and I just noticed,,, when the fan is off,

it still puts out heat or air(depending on what the temp is set on.

Someone said this is normal .

I dident think it was,,,I alway turn the fan off and nothing comes out the vent.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks for the tip.... I just took mine out and the plug is burnt. I ordered a kit from them.

Wayne

You can find the parts and information to repair this issue at

http://www.motorcity1.com . I used their kit to repair the burnt blower resistor and melted connector issue that GM has a Service Bulliten out on. These guys even had that information on their website. Great product and information - A LOT cheaper than getting the parts at the dealer!

Thanks for the tip.... I just took mine out and the plug is burnt. I ordered a kit from them.

Wayne

You can find the parts and information to repair this issue at

http://www.motorcity1.com . I used their kit to repair the burnt blower resistor and melted connector issue that GM has a Service Bulliten out on. These guys even had that information on their website. Great product and information - A LOT cheaper than getting the parts at the dealer!

WOW!!!!! I just got it in the mail. It's the right one and it fixed my problem. Install took 45 minutes (soldered all wires).

Archived