Photo
- - - - -

Help! Silverado Is Too Long!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Windog1

Windog1

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

Ok, so funny story (only to others, I am still p*sed off). I had a nice new house built. Three car garage and the whole works. We moved in two weeks ago, and we finally got our driveway poured. So today was the day I could finally park all our cars in the garage. And low and behold, my 1999 Silverado LT Extended Cab is 6" too long. The darn garage door won't shut. Now the only customizations I have on my truck are custom tires, nothing that is going to affect the length. Everything else is stock. Selling the truck is not an option either. Any suggestions on the bumpers or good aftermaket bumpers that will help me get in my garage. My current thought is to take off the back bumper and put on a roll pan. I belive that will give me the 6" I need but it will still be very close. Any ideas for the front bumper??? I hate to do this, but I really need my truck and do not want to park it outside all the time. Also, part two of my question. If I put on a roll pan, do I lose my cabilities for a trailer hitch. Anyhow, thanks for all your suggestions and help.

#2 mes

mes

Enthusiast

• 316 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Ok, so funny story (only to others, I am still p*sed off). I had a nice new house built. Three car garage and the whole works. We moved in two weeks ago, and we finally got our driveway poured. So today was the day I could finally park all our cars in the garage. And low and behold, my 1999 Silverado LT Extended Cab is 6" too long. The darn garage door won't shut. Now the only customizations I have on my truck are custom tires, nothing that is going to affect the length. Everything else is stock. Selling the truck is not an option either. Any suggestions on the bumpers or good aftermaket bumpers that will help me get in my garage. My current thought is to take off the back bumper and put on a roll pan. I belive that will give me the 6" I need but it will still be very close. Any ideas for the front bumper??? I hate to do this, but I really need my truck and do not want to park it outside all the time. Also, part two of my question. If I put on a roll pan, do I lose my cabilities for a trailer hitch. Anyhow, thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Is it up against the wall or a curb?If its a curb I ran some bricks and drove up on top of the curb hope this helps.

Edited by mes, 11 October 2007 - 11:04 PM.

Posted Image
08 GMC CREW CAB SIERRA SLT 6.0 VMAX NHT 4.10s GMPP INTAKE CORSA SPORT EXHAUST WHEATLEY TUNED
http://www.gm-trucks...?...em&CID=1463

#3 Tucson_02Silverado

Tucson_02Silverado

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,475 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:40 PM

Are restricted by a Home Owner's Association?
http://trex.id.iit.e.../institut_1.htm

There's rollpans with hide-a-hitch options behind a license plate.

You can waste floor space and build a ramp to a height that brings the truck all the way in. Depending upon how it's built, it could have an access door or two to access some space within it for storage

X would be the wheel stop curb,

..........................._____________________X__
......................__/................................................|
.................__/.....................................................|
............__/..........................................................|
.......__/...............................................................|
..__/....................................................................|
/_____________________________________|

Besure to trace the dimensions exactly from the provided drawing for the proper approach angles etc :cheers:
Ignore all the "." in the highly detailed blueprints, it becomes squishy if they aren't there.

Edited by Tucson_02Silverado, 11 October 2007 - 11:56 PM.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L LM7(T) 3.73 Extended Cab SWB 2WD

#4 silverado04

silverado04

Enthusiast

• 169 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

Dats Funny Right Dare Now I Don't care who you are dats some funny sh!t!!!!

then you still won't have room to get ot it cept through the big door.. this has me rolling!!! LoL..

do like some would, call the contractors and tell them they goofed up on the garage.... HA HA LoL...
2003 Silverado 4x4 3500HD Crew Cab LB Duramax/Ally, LT fully Loaded,

#5 svensk

svensk

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,733 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:19 AM

When I had my house built last year I made sure I took a look at the actual garage dimensions...

Forged LS2, Attitude cam, kooks LTs, 4" CAI, C6 fan,
RPM level 6, custom 2800 stall, magnaflow res, DJ's, KBEEs

Posted Image

#6 ken1mod

ken1mod

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,150 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:26 AM

My truck will fit if I back it in but not if I drive it in.

Ken

#7 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,503 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:58 AM

Add a small addition to the back (lean to) of the garage for the nose of the truck to fit in. This was popular in the 50's when cars got longer and wouldn't fit in the garage anymore.

#8 Triki Dick

Triki Dick

Enthusiast

• 332 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:43 AM

Tell the wife your selling the house! Stop taking crap out of the boxes, you're moving!

Priceless!!

You can always modify the door to accomodate moving it out a foot and shingling top. Make it look like you planned it this way.

Edited by Triki Dick, 12 October 2007 - 06:44 AM.

Posted Image

#9 VMax2007

VMax2007

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:51 AM

When I built my first house back in 1992, the builder screwed up and made the garage 22' deep instead of 24' per plans. The house was framed, but not yet sided or shingled when I noticed it. I made them re-dig, pour new footings, add foundation and move the front wall out 2 feet. My current home has a 22' deep garage, but my truck fits with only about 2 1/2 ft to spare, so I put the laser pointers on the ceiling to mark my position for accurate parking so I can still walk in front of the truck.

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#10 slomo007

slomo007

Enthusiast

• 872 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

I literally have a total of 4 inches to spare in my garage for my '07 Silverado crew cab. When the garage door is shut, I cannot walk either in front of or behind the truck. It's rather annoying but still better than letting it sit outside all of the time. I have fishing string with a weight tied to it hanging from the ceiling...I pull in extremely slowly until it touches the windshield. Talk about a close call.

Pic

Edited by slomo007, 12 October 2007 - 09:08 AM.

2007 Silverado LT1 Z71~Blackbear Tuned~RC Leveling Kit~3M Protective Film on Hood and Bumper Corners~Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau~Raptor Step Bars~Mamba M3 Wheels~265/70/18 Revos~PIAA H11 Headlights~GMPP Performance Exhaust~Painted Front Bowtie~Removed Rear Bowtie~LED Interior Lights~GM Stainless Door Sill Covers~CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

#11 Wingnut

Wingnut

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 13,827 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:26 AM

You don't need that extra 2' in the dining room do you?

Just park it REALLY FAST tonight...It'll fit.
2006 IBM M6 GTO (CLICK MEEEE)
All that and a bag of chips. 532 RWHP, 503 RWTQ.
2007 Avalanche Z71
Bone stock.
2010 Toyota Camry. No pics because BLAH!

#12 silverado04

silverado04

Enthusiast

• 169 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

I have a truck shorten'er forsale, it allows you to remove as much as you want but recommends only up to 16'' but you could buy this advise cheap... LoL.

really though the lean too on the back wall would be what I would look into if its really that big of a deal. I would besure that it would allow for a crew cab Long box.... and maybe even a bench.. ]

I still can not believe they build garages so small.. LoL..
2003 Silverado 4x4 3500HD Crew Cab LB Duramax/Ally, LT fully Loaded,

#13 Draenor

Draenor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,605 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

The roll pan out back, and you could re-adjust the front bumper. Pull it in an inch if there is the room for adjustment.

Edited by Draenor, 12 October 2007 - 10:26 AM.

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#14 Zembonez

Zembonez

Senior Enthusiast

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:45 AM

My truck will fit if I back it in but not if I drive it in.

Ken

I agree. My 1/2T Crew would only fit if I backed it in. Going forward the front tires hit the stop with a foot of room in front of the truck. Backing in almost to the wall worked fine.

Good Luck!

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#15 svensk

svensk

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,733 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

You could try cutting out a section of garage wall in the shape of your bumper(if it's sheetrocked) and see if that works. I remember someone who did that and it worked just fine.

Forged LS2, Attitude cam, kooks LTs, 4" CAI, C6 fan,
RPM level 6, custom 2800 stall, magnaflow res, DJ's, KBEEs

Posted Image