Steering Radio Controls

Well, after the DIC mod I decided I wanted to add the steering radio controls to my truck (2007 Silverado NBS/Z71 4x4/LT1). My wife's Tahoe has them and I really like the setup so I ordered the complete steering wheel setup from GMPartDirects (part no. 15917931, ebony leather wrapped steering wheel). They had just the controls but I wasn't sure if the connectors were in my current steering wheel so I didn't want to risk disasembling the steering wheel and not finding where to plug the controls. The setup was $182.91 total ($149 for the steering wheel and $32 for shipping/processing fees).

I'm still unsure if I want to take it to the dealer and have them install it for me, since I don't want to hear the "your warranty will be voided if you install this in your truck". They already told me that GM didn't sell this part and if it didn't come with it installed from the factory it can't be done.

I read a few posts and it seems fairly simple to unistall the existing one and install a new one, no special tools are needed just need the GM steering wheel puller to take off the steering wheel. But I'm still reluctant to do it because of the Air Bag and I'm not sure if the computer has to be programmed to read the controls.

I know some of you are interested in adding the radio controls so I'll post an update once it's installed. In the meantime if any of you have any inputs on how to "do-it-yourself" or any information about the programming of the computer, please jump in.

Thanks!

Jose

(in hindsight I should have gotten the LT w/ the convenience package since I also want the fog lamps...Oh Well!)

steering.bmp

steering.bmp

steering.bmp

steering.bmp

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the steering controls on the same exact vehicle. '07 NBS Z-71 and to be honest I think they're not all that. The volume controls seem backwards in that you have to reach around and pull them toward you. Picking your hand off the wheel. Don't know why it can't be a push like every other button on the steering wheel.

So I just don't use them.

Looking at my sticker it was $895 I could have saved. For that $895 I got

steering wheel controls I don't use

Fog lamps that got removed with my bumper replacement

Dual Zone A/C controls in a work truck that will never see a passanger hahah

17" Custom Aluminum Wheels

Heh now I know why they package all that together because a lot of people would just say NO to some of it. Mine was just like that I didn't have any choice.

I have the steering controls on the same exact vehicle. '07 NBS Z-71 and to be honest I think they're not all that. The volume controls seem backwards in that you have to reach around and pull them toward you. Picking your hand off the wheel. Don't know why it can't be a push like every other button on the steering wheel.

So I just don't use them.

Looking at my sticker it was $895 I could have saved. For that $895 I got

steering wheel controls I don't use

Fog lamps that got removed with my bumper replacement

Dual Zone A/C controls in a work truck that will never see a passanger hahah

17" Custom Aluminum Wheels

Heh now I know why they package all that together because a lot of people would just say NO to some of it. Mine was just like that I didn't have any choice.

What hapened to your bumper? Do you still have the fog lights? if so I'll buy them from you (at a reasonable price of course). How about the Dual Zone A/C controls? Do yo want to swap for the std one (plus some $$)?

When I had the replacement put on they gave me trade in credit on the bumper and fog lights. I'm going to keep the A/C control just because I already have it and wouldn't really want to mess with pulling it just for the cash since it's a work truck that I get an allowance (IE FREE) for.

Well, after the DIC mod I decided I wanted to add the steering radio controls to my truck (2007 Silverado NBS/Z71 4x4/LT1). My wife's Tahoe has them and I really like the setup so I ordered the complete steering wheel setup from GMPartDirects (part no. 15917931, ebony leather wrapped steering wheel). They had just the controls but I wasn't sure if the connectors were in my current steering wheel so I didn't want to risk disasembling the steering wheel and not finding where to plug the controls. The setup was $182.91 total ($149 for the steering wheel and $32 for shipping/processing fees).

I'm still unsure if I want to take it to the dealer and have them install it for me, since I don't want to hear the "your warranty will be voided if you install this in your truck". They already told me that GM didn't sell this part and if it didn't come with it installed from the factory it can't be done.

I read a few posts and it seems fairly simple to unistall the existing one and install a new one, no special tools are needed just need the GM steering wheel puller to take off the steering wheel. But I'm still reluctant to do it because of the Air Bag and I'm not sure if the computer has to be programmed to read the controls.

I know some of you are interested in adding the radio controls so I'll post an update once it's installed. In the meantime if any of you have any inputs on how to "do-it-yourself" or any information about the programming of the computer, please jump in.

Thanks!

Jose

(in hindsight I should have gotten the LT w/ the convenience package since I also want the fog lamps...Oh Well!)

thank you for the DIC post, it worked great for me and only $95 with shipping included, i look forward to hearing about the steering audio controls, i want them too

post-41932-1192943758_thumb.jpg

The volume controls seem backwards in that you have to reach around and pull them toward you. Picking your hand off the wheel. Don't know why it can't be a push like every other button on the steering wheel.

Hmm, you must have your hands on the wheel different than me. Use the controls all the time, never move my hands and it seems perfectly natural pulling back on them. Just tap them with my first two fingers.

i have some pictures of what the connectors look like on a steering wheel with audio controls if this might help you, i really want steering wheel controls as well

Did you remove the steering wheel? if so, how easy was it? Any problems taking out the air bag? I should be receiving the steering wheel w/ the radio controls sometime this week and up to the dealer for installation (I'm taking it to the dealer because I'm almost 100% certain the computer has to be reprogrammed to read controls).

More to come...

The volume controls seem backwards in that you have to reach around and pull them toward you. Picking your hand off the wheel. Don't know why it can't be a push like every other button on the steering wheel.

Hmm, you must have your hands on the wheel different than me. Use the controls all the time, never move my hands and it seems perfectly natural pulling back on them. Just tap them with my first two fingers.

I was thinking the same thing,I use'em all the time and love'em.

Everyone else on here complains because they DON'T have the steering wheel controls,fog lamps or dual zone A/C controls and your complaining because you DO have them! :banghead:

Thats why they package them like that,The're three of the most popular options that people want.

i have some pictures of what the connectors look like on a steering wheel with audio controls if this might help you, i really want steering wheel controls as well

Did you remove the steering wheel? if so, how easy was it? Any problems taking out the air bag? I should be receiving the steering wheel w/ the radio controls sometime this week and up to the dealer for installation (I'm taking it to the dealer because I'm almost 100% certain the computer has to be reprogrammed to read controls).

More to come...

No need to remove the steering wheel to install the radio redundant control pod. All that is necessary is to remove airag by disengaging the spring locks from behind, one each side. Torx screws get removed from horn mechanism and then the pod is installed, re-assemble in the reverse order. The stock steering wheel (simulated leather) has all necessary attributes including the plug termination to radio. No re-programming is necessary unless something changed after mid year 2007 that I haven't come across. If you need any more information just let me know.

Steve

No need to remove the steering wheel to install the radio redundant control pod. All that is necessary is to remove airag by disengaging the spring locks from behind, one each side. Torx screws get removed from horn mechanism and then the pod is installed, re-assemble in the reverse order. The stock steering wheel (simulated leather) has all necessary attributes including the plug termination to radio. No re-programming is necessary unless something changed after mid year 2007 that I haven't come across. If you need any more information just let me know.

Steve

Just want to link this post to your other post Steve, because it looks like you posted instructions for this. http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69369

More to come...

Steve

TIGHT! Now all we need is a part number! Anyone here with the controls willing to contact GMPartsDirect.com and have them look up the number for the part?

Daddy

Archived