Photo
- - - - -

2002 4.3l Silverado Gasket Leak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 snookuda

snookuda

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:44 AM

I have a 2002 4.3L Silverado Gasket Leak that appears to be leaking oil from the lower intake manifold gasket. I have 36,800 miles and will be contacting GM for possible financial assistance. I have spent alot of money on a 1999 3.1L Chevy Malibu intake manifold gasket replacement and am fed up with spending big bucks on faulty gaskets and dexcool.

Has anyone else had issues on the V6 4.3L silverados with leaking manifold gaskets?

I also had the "slushing water sound" in the heater core area that i may have fixed??? I just opened the coolant cap and cranked the heater all the way up for about 10 minutes. I am going to flush the coolant as well. Does anyone suggest that I DO or DO NOT use the Prestone Coolant FLUSH liquid before adding new dexcool?

Thanks,
snookuda

#2 Colorado Kid

Colorado Kid

Enthusiast

• 373 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

I did the intake gasket on my '91 4.3L (but it used the green stuuff), and on my '96 5.0L. Use the Felpro gasket unless you want to do it again. Including coolant you shouldn't be able to spend $100 on this project, unless you're paying someone to do it for you.

I'd recommend buying a new quick coupler for where the heater hose goes into the manifold. I broke this coupler removing the hose on my '91 and the couple failed to reseal on my '96.

I didn't do a chemical flush on either of mine, and I haven't regretted that choice.

Gurgling heater core is just a symtom of low coolant, and you've figured out how to bleed it. Unfortunately you'll get to do it again after you replace the gasket.
2004 Chevy Suburban 1500. 5.3L Alcoholic/4L60-E. Silver Birch
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE Duramax/6 speed 2WD CC SB Fire Red . . .Gone.
1996 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 5.0L/5 speed 2WD RC LB Fire Red

#3 Draenor

Draenor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,605 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:28 AM

The intake is a dry intake and does not pass coolant. You can change the gasket out with common hand tools in a few hours.

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#4 Zembonez

Zembonez

Senior Enthusiast

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

The intake is a dry intake and does not pass coolant. You can change the gasket out with common hand tools in a few hours.

As I recall, that is true on the 4.8 and 5.3 but the 4.3 still has coolant flowing through it like the old 5.7.

The intake leak cost me an engine in my 01 Silverado. It is unfortunately a common problem.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#5 Norseman

Norseman

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,382 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

As I recall, that is true on the 4.8 and 5.3 but the 4.3 still has coolant flowing through it like the old 5.7.

The intake leak cost me an engine in my 01 Silverado. It is unfortunately a common problem.

You are correct the 4.3 does still collant flowing through it. The most important part of fixing it is use FEL-PRO gaskets!
PLEASE BUY FROM AN AMERICAN CAR COMPANY FOR THE GOOD OF YOUR COUNTRY AND THE PEOPLE THAT DEPEND ON THEM.

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. -- G. K. Chesterton

"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being"
-- Kahlil Gibran

God Bless Our American Service Men That Do Just That!!

If the Malibu had a Toyota badge the toy-sheeple would hump it in a parking lot.

#6 Zembonez

Zembonez

Senior Enthusiast

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:45 PM

You are correct the 4.3 does still collant flowing through it. The most important part of fixing it is use FEL-PRO gaskets!

Yeah... I learn. I got my hand slapped on that one once.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .