2002 4.3l Silverado Gasket Leak

I have a 2002 4.3L Silverado Gasket Leak that appears to be leaking oil from the lower intake manifold gasket. I have 36,800 miles and will be contacting GM for possible financial assistance. I have spent alot of money on a 1999 3.1L Chevy Malibu intake manifold gasket replacement and am fed up with spending big bucks on faulty gaskets and dexcool.

Has anyone else had issues on the V6 4.3L silverados with leaking manifold gaskets?

I also had the "slushing water sound" in the heater core area that i may have fixed??? I just opened the coolant cap and cranked the heater all the way up for about 10 minutes. I am going to flush the coolant as well. Does anyone suggest that I DO or DO NOT use the Prestone Coolant FLUSH liquid before adding new dexcool?

Thanks,

snookuda

I did the intake gasket on my '91 4.3L (but it used the green stuuff), and on my '96 5.0L. Use the Felpro gasket unless you want to do it again. Including coolant you shouldn't be able to spend $100 on this project, unless you're paying someone to do it for you.

I'd recommend buying a new quick coupler for where the heater hose goes into the manifold. I broke this coupler removing the hose on my '91 and the couple failed to reseal on my '96.

I didn't do a chemical flush on either of mine, and I haven't regretted that choice.

Gurgling heater core is just a symtom of low coolant, and you've figured out how to bleed it. Unfortunately you'll get to do it again after you replace the gasket.

The intake is a dry intake and does not pass coolant. You can change the gasket out with common hand tools in a few hours.

As I recall, that is true on the 4.8 and 5.3 but the 4.3 still has coolant flowing through it like the old 5.7.

The intake leak cost me an engine in my 01 Silverado. It is unfortunately a common problem.

The intake is a dry intake and does not pass coolant. You can change the gasket out with common hand tools in a few hours.

As I recall, that is true on the 4.8 and 5.3 but the 4.3 still has coolant flowing through it like the old 5.7.

The intake leak cost me an engine in my 01 Silverado. It is unfortunately a common problem.

You are correct the 4.3 does still collant flowing through it. The most important part of fixing it is use FEL-PRO gaskets!

You are correct the 4.3 does still collant flowing through it. The most important part of fixing it is use FEL-PRO gaskets!

Yeah... I learn. I got my hand slapped on that one once.

Archived