Mileage After "low Fuel" Light Comes On

I know when my low fuel light came on in my '99,and my '04 also,I had about another 4 gallons of gas left.

So whatever your gas mileage is just times it by 4 (I.E. If your getting 18 MPG then you got around 72 miles until your empty)

Try not to let the fuel in the tank get that low as the pump depends on fuel in the tank to keep it cool, you will greatly reduce the life of the pump keeping your tank below 1/4 or lower. Just a tip for everyone.

Good point,I try to never go below 1/4 tank.

Try not to let the fuel in the tank get that low as the pump depends on fuel in the tank to keep it cool, you will greatly reduce the life of the pump keeping your tank below 1/4 or lower. Just a tip for everyone.

Good point,I try to never go below 1/4 tank.

Not to mention that condensation can form and rust your fuel tank and/or fuel lines from the inside out, and mess up your fuel injectors. Car's can't run of water yet.

Not to mention that condensation can form and rust your fuel tank and/or fuel lines from the inside out, and mess up your fuel injectors. Car's can't run of water yet.

The fuel tanks on GM trucks from '99 up are plastic but yes to the rest.

I know when my low fuel light came on in my '99,and my '04 also,I had about another 4 gallons of gas left.

So whatever your gas mileage is just times it by 4 (I.E. If your getting 18 MPG then you got around 72 miles until your empty)

The fuel light came on in my '05 SB over the weekend. I drove about 15 miles +/- and then filled it up. With topping it off it took 23.1 gallons. I believe (but I am often wrong) that the tank is supposed to hold 24 gallons. I figure that put me at 1.7 - 2.2 gallons (gave or take) when the light came on.

-Jay

I think it's a 26 gallon tank for a shortbed. Mine was for the 2500HD and the new 07 as well. Both are 6'6 but on the 1500 CCSBs it said 26 gallons as well.

Yep,26 gallon tank on the short-bed & standard-beds,and 34 gallon tank on the long-beds.

I think it's a 26 gallon tank for a shortbed. Mine was for the 2500HD and the new 07 as well. Both are 6'6 but on the 1500 CCSBs it said 26 gallons as well.

Yep,26 gallon tank on the short-bed & standard-beds,and 34 gallon tank on the long-beds.

My mistake, it is indeed a 26 gallon tank. That would put a safe estimate, as you mentioned above, right at about four gallons.

--Jay

I had the low fuel warning come on the HD once, and when I finally got to a gas station (was stuck in rush hour traffic after pulling a heavy trailer) I had about 2.5 gallons left.

Agreed, don't let your tank go empty like that (unless it's just completely unavoidable). I don't think I've ever had a vehicle that I ran down to "E," let alone below E. I'll head for a gas station by the time I see the 1/4 tank mark, or sooner. I never understood the need to constantly wait until you're running on fumes to add more gas. Those poor, abused, and unloved vehicles.... how sad... :dunno:

Archived