Brake Squeal?

I got avout 4500k miles on my 07 NBS Rado. I started noticed a squeal when I come to a stop and its freakin annoying! Anyone have any ideas? I also need ideas on why I get so much brake dust on my wheels a few days after I clean my truck?

I got avout 4500k miles on my 07 NBS Rado. I started noticed a squeal when I come to a stop and its freakin annoying! Anyone have any ideas? I also need ideas on why I get so much brake dust on my wheels a few days after I clean my truck?

How hard you hitting the brakes, (short stops, gradual, even) and how frequently do you stop? (stop and go traffic or freeway)

My '07 NNBS Sierra GMC does the same thing. My driving is mostly highway. When I run into town, driving about 25 mph, and approach a stop sign, I slow down, and just before I come to a complete stop, the rear brakes squeak. Took it to the dealer awhile back, and they could not find a cause. Next time I go in, I'm going to complain again, because you are right -- it is annoying.

Yeah thats exactly what mine do, and it sounds like hoopity. That is one of my pet peaves, squeeky brakes. I HATE IT. And I dont know why I have so much brake dust.

Looked around, have not found any tsbs that apply specifically to this problem (yet).

Yeah thats exactly what mine do, and it sounds like hoopity. That is one of my pet peaves, squeeky brakes. I HATE IT. And I dont know why I have so much brake dust.

Noise and dust are both something common to brakes unfortunatly, in order to save money sometimes OEM's use cheaper pads. Some pads are noisy, some are very dusty, some are both the only real way to get rid of it is to try different pads. There are some made that are specifically low dust, and low noise pads.

Noise and dust are both something common to brakes unfortunatly, in order to save money sometimes OEM's use cheaper pads. Some pads are noisy, some are very dusty, some are both the only real way to get rid of it is to try different pads. There are some made that are specifically low dust, and low noise pads.

That is correct, GM mismatched the material on the pads to the rotors in the Cadillac lineup, causing those customers to complain about the brake squealing, and excessive dust buildup on the chrome rims. I spoke with a local shop manager here at the local Cadillac dealership, he suggested the same thing, swap pads, check rotors, and get specific pads that will reduce whatever problem is going on, he said it took him 6 different combinations to get the correct setup though so it may be awhile before GM solves your problem. (unless you want to start swapping pads out) - by the way Jameson, how is your truck coming with the modifications?

Doing good. All I have is the Evo and exhaust w/ some beauty mods. LOL. Next week the Reflex Liner and tint goes on. My truck wont be lifted until nextg year while im in Iraq. But its all planned out. 6" ProComp Coilover Performance kit, 35" Pro Comp Extreme Muds, 18" Pro Comp 107's, 4.56 gears, and some sort of aftermarket locker in the back (still deciding), along with the go rhino dominator steps, and katzkins leather. Thats the major plan. The rest (nav, system ranchand bumpers) arent as realistic. LOL.

Try making a few quick hard stops from various speeds, like you would do to seat new pads. That's what I've always done in the past and it works great. Ensures you don't have noise by keeping the brakes clean, keeps pads seated nice, and can improve stopping power.

The brakes on my YD don't make noise, but once I notice they aren't stopping quite as well, that just means I've been too nice on 'em recently. :driving:

Mine are pretty squeaky in the mornings, as well, or any time if I haven't driven it in the past several hours beforehand.

I've never had any issue with brake dust on any of my Z71s. My roommate had an 02 that constantly had black front wheels and he washed his at least once a week.. I wash mine maybe once a month. I honestly think its how you drive that makes the difference. I slow down before I get on the brakes, usually, and I think that helps.

Cheep OEM Pads go pick up some CarQuest Ceramics.

They will fix the squeal and get rid of the black dust crud.

Archived