Photo
- - - - -

Brake Squeal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#16 hoorders

hoorders

Enthusiast

• 659 posts
  • Name:Ron M

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:48 AM

My 2000 Sierra has the brake squeal too! But its only when you first start stopping. After a few stops it doesnt do it anymore.
It does it horribly in the morning in reverse. :thumbs:

My 2000 does that exact same thing......only in the morning on the first stop..................its definately the pads on the rear......and I just changed them no too long ago.........I also used the same pads I have always used.......this is the only set that has been noisy.

:cheers:
Posted Image

#17 Tigerado

Tigerado

Enthusiast

• 33 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:20 AM

The brakes on my 06 have been squealing for a while at 25k miles. Just turned the rotors and it seems to have solved the problem.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SLT CC/SB

Factory- 5.3 thru 3.42s, Tow Mirrors, Chrome Side Steps, Leather, Bose
Aftermarket- Access Tonneau Cover, Line-X, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, T-Bar Crank, 285/70/17 Cooper STT

#18 Z71chev

Z71chev

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,450 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

My driver rear drum squeals TERRIBLY. has been for awhile now. The fronts are fine, but when coming to a stop the rear squeals. Usually when theyre warmed up i hear this. ANyone have solutions for the rear drums?

I have the same problem...I thought it was the front but now im sure its the rear brakes...i wonder how we fix this..
Posted Image
Black 2007 Silverado Crew Cab GMT-900 1500 Z71 5.3 Alum. Block---
Cherry bomb Extreme single exhaust, True Flow air intake, Nelson Performance tune (93 oct) Corvette Servo, 3.73 gears, G80, Rough Country 2in Leveling Kit, Readylift 3in blocks in rear (not in sig), Line-X Xtra on both sides, AMI billet fuel door, Westin Bull Bar (black) with 2 6" KC slimlights.
BLACK TRUCK CLUB

Imperial Blue Met. 2008 Trailblazer LT. (stock)

Toys In Stock:
2006 Harley Davidson Road King Classic. Screaming Eagle Download, High flow Air intake and Rush exhaust.
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700FI Realtree HD hardwoods camo
2009 Yamaha Rhino 700FI Camo

#19 Punmax

Punmax

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,277 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

My rear brakes squeak in the mornings
Posted Image
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS RWD 3.6L

2007 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.2L Vortec
24" Dub Dirty Dogs (summer wheels) | 22" Boss 313 (winter wheels) | OEM Headrest DVD Screens | GMPP Cold Air Intake
2007 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 4x4 6.0L VortecMax - SOLD
Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | 8000k HID's (lows/fogs) | Debadged Tailgate | Jason Tonneau Cover | 20% Tint | WeatherTech Floorliner

#20 sillyazz

sillyazz

Enthusiast

• 531 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

Mine squeak too , sounds like the fronts but I guess it could be the rears. Thought about changing the pads to ceramic's.
Posted Image

#21 joe04

joe04

Enthusiast

• 156 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Took my 07 Classic in, and switched to GM Ceramics. NO MORE SQUEAK!!!!!!!!

#22 Rolling

Rolling

Enthusiast

• 209 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:02 AM

My GMT900 CC had the front pads de-glazed and the rear shoes cleaned and readjusted at about 5k on the clock. My shop also used a BG chemical on the pads itself that was supposed to reduce the squeak, and some antisqueal on the back of the pads. The front sqeal went away for a couple of months, but came back as soon as the weather got humid. Couple of quick hard applications seems to make it go away for a while, but I have to do this almost every time I drive the truck cold. Now that its cold and icy out, I cant stab the brakes hard, the abs just kicks in...
It will be going back in soon to have them looked at again, and unfortunately, there is a couple TSBs that address this concern as well as the dust on the wheels. GM says its normal, unless found to be abnormal, and then instructs cleaning or replacement as neccessary to bring to normal standards. :rolleyes:

#23 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,252 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:44 AM

My '06 crew cab brakes do not squeal at all. Must be "new and improved" pads for the '07 and later models? But, I must have cheap rotors, because one of them is somewhat grooved at 6500 miles. :rolleyes: For comparison, my '99 Mazda 626 V6 still has the original brake rotors at 181k miles and they are not grooved or scored and they have not been turned to date.

For squealing brakes on any vehicle, the first thing I do is coat the backs of pads (can also do backs of brake shoes) with an anti-squeal paste. That always takes care of it. Auto Zone sells the CRC brand anti squeal paste in a bottle for about $ 6.50. It is orange in color. They also sell little packets of brake grease that they claim can also be used as anti-squeal coating, but I would not trust grease. The paste is a lot better.

Edited by pm26, 30 November 2007 - 09:48 AM.

#24 shanegtd

shanegtd

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:11 AM

my 05 silverado vho has the same rear drum problem... even when my foot is not on the brake it squeaks its honestly embarassing to have that noise come from a truck that i paid so much for

#25 chevydriver37

chevydriver37

Enthusiast

• 78 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

My driver rear drum squeals TERRIBLY. has been for awhile now. The fronts are fine, but when coming to a stop the rear squeals. Usually when theyre warmed up i hear this. ANyone have solutions for the rear drums?

I had that on my nbs GMC since about 700 miles. In short, the tech pulled the drums and greased the shoes, where they make contact on the backing plates. Have about 6K now, and no issues at all.

#26 VMax2007

VMax2007

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

my 05 silverado vho has the same rear drum problem... even when my foot is not on the brake it squeaks its honestly embarassing to have that noise come from a truck that i paid so much for

PLEASE make that sig pic smaller. You are messing up the window.

Thank You!!!

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#27 VMax626

VMax626

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,173 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

I thought all VHO's came with the 20 inch rims, did yours come with the 17's stock?
Posted Image

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Vortec Max 6.0l L76 with Hydra-Matic 4L70E 4 Speed Auto With Overdrive
Mods: Black Bear Performance Tune, Debadged Except For V-Max Emblem, Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, AEM Cold Air Intake, 2 Belltech Drop Shackles & Removed Rear Lift Blocks, SilverStar Low Beam Bulbs, TS Shift Kit, Corvette Servo

#28 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,252 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Looks like this brake squealing problem is new for the NBS '07 + trucks. I have not noticed any brake squeal on my '06 crew cab.

I would try anti-squeal paste first. Auto Zone zone sells CRC anti-squeal paste in a bottle for about $ 6. It is orange in color. You smear it on the back of pads/brake shoes and let dry, then install. It stays somewhat tacky. Do not use the brake grease that they sell in small packets - they claim that it can be used as anti-squeal paste too, but I would try it.

If the anti-squeal paste fails, I would explore different brand pads/shoes. If you take it to the dealer, they will give you the same pads/brake shoes and turn your rotors, so in addition to not fixing the squealing problem, you'll have a rotor warpage issue too.