Suburban Power Seats Move 1/2 Inch - Help!

Drivers side power seat in 2000 Chevy Suburban has developed a "slip" or "slack" of about a 0.5in. in the glide/track.

Very annoying, as you are constantly sliding back and forth, about a half an inch.

Removed seat, can see screw drive within track. Cannot tell if screw is worn.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Would anyone have the exploded diagram on the door track for this 2000 LT Suburban?

Thanks.

CB

• 3 months later...

Found this. It might apply.

Subject: Unwanted/Loose Seat Movement (Apply Adhesive and Install New Bolts in Seat Mounting Rails) #05-08-50-012 - (10/06/2005)

Models: 2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003-2005 Cadillac ESV

1999-2005 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Models

2000-2005 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2005 GMC Sierra Pickup Models

2000-2005 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2005 HUMMER H2

with Power Driver Front Seat Power Adjuster (RPO AG1) and/or Passenger Seat Power Adjuster (RPO AG2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers may comment on unwanted seat movement in the front power bucket seat (driver or passenger) during fast acceleration or hard braking. A metal to metal clicking noise is often heard at seat "stops."

Cause

The threads of the two zinc nut retainers (one on each side of the seat adjuster) may creep over time, causing a loss of self-rolling screw clamp load and ultimately causes relative rail and vehicle seat motion.

Correction

Apply adhesive and install new bolts in seat mounting rails using the following procedure.

Remove the front seat and invert onto a flat surface covered with a clean, non-scratch material (soft cloth or similar). Refer to the applicable Seats sub-section in SI. Adjust so that the seat mounting rails are at 45 degrees.

Remove the upper M8 mounting bolt from one rail and discard. Leave the other bolt intact as this will hold the track in place while working. Wipe the bolt hole area with a clean rag.

Important: Only use the adhesive provided in the repair kit. Do not substitute with other adhesives.

Take one of the adhesive sachets and carefully cut the flag tip off the notched end spout in line with the notch.

While holding the sachet vertical, slowly dribble the adhesive into the edge of the bolt hole as shown, ensuring that the adhesive flows into the joint between the seat rail and the zinc block. DO NOT pour the adhesive down the center of the hole. The object is to let the adhesive "wick" between the zinc block and the seat rail in order to bond the two pieces together.

Important: If the bolt thread strips or the proper torque cannot be achieved, then the entire seat adjuster mechanism must be replaced.

Replace the previous bolt with a new M8 bolt (1) (included) and install using a "click torque wrench" preset to 9 N·m (79 lb in).

Remove the second M8 mounting bolt from the rail and discard.

Repeat steps 2 through 5 for the second bolt.

Repeat steps 2 through 6 for the opposite mounting rail.

Before installing the seat into the vehicle, verify that the seat will function correctly and does not make any unusual noises during forward and rearward travel motion.

Install the seat. Refer to the applicable Seats sub-section of SI.

While sitting in the seat, verify seat function and listen for any unusual noises.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Adhesive Kit, D/Seat Adj Bolt

1 kit per seat

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
My seats do the same thing and I can't find anyone that knows how to fix the problem. I have a 99 Silverado and the seats slide back and forth when I accelerate and brake. Does anyone have an answer? Please help!!!!

Go to tech Wiki at top of page. Click. choose Veh.

on page 1 it mentions seat movement, and fix

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
My 2000 silverado with full power drivers seat moves back and forth about an inch when I hit the brake and then the gas. Anyone else seen this? Thanks.

Check this out my seats drove me insane so I made a tech wiki just on this subject. http://wiki.hurstolds.org/GM_Power_Seat_Fix_page_1.html mine started it in the passengers seat (I rarely have anybody in that seat and it started about 2002 or 2003 just out of warranty). The drivers seat starting doing it and a year later I got pissed one day and went to taking the blasted thing apart. Four crummy rubber spacers cause some really irritating seats movements.

Jbo

• 1 year later...

I had this same problem in my 2000. A guy on ebay is selling repair kits with instructions for these now, I bought one, took me about 4 hours, eliminated the slop in the seat track. It was $15 or so. If you type in GM/Chevy Power Seat Movement Repair Kit it will come up.

• 2 years later...

I bought the kit and will try it on the passenger seat 1st. Looks pretty involved, but well worth several hours to fix the problem. The kit comes with very good documentation and other than the tools needed, requires quite a bit of patience. I'd like to see the guys on Powerblock tackle this project.

Archived