Sle-1 Vs Sle-2

Yeah, been thinking about upgrading out of my 2006 Sierra Sle-2 truck.

Been a real tough debate though...on the NBS trucks...is it really WORTH almost $2000 difference between the sle-1 trucks and the sle-2 trucks??

Sle-1 has alot of standard features, and sle-2 is just an expansion of those features.

At our local GM truck dealers, the 5.3 is pretty much standard fare. So, the only REAL difference is dual power seats, and a big plastic console. Wheels are another area of difference between the sle1 / sle2 trucks, but dealers around here usually just order standard alloy wheels.

So...a console and power buckets...and a difference of $1,960 :lol:

What do ya think guys?? See...my 2006 is a SLE-2 loaded; and I sorta hate to go "backwards"

I'm really looking for the "best bang for the buck". And, I'm really diggin' these DIY articles with the d.i.c., and steering controls, and consoles...............

Yeah, been thinking about upgrading out of my 2006 Sierra Sle-2 truck.

Been a real tough debate though...on the NBS trucks...is it really WORTH almost $2000 difference between the sle-1 trucks and the sle-2 trucks??

Sle-1 has alot of standard features, and sle-2 is just an expansion of those features.

At our local GM truck dealers, the 5.3 is pretty much standard fare. So, the only REAL difference is dual power seats, and a big plastic console. Wheels are another area of difference between the sle1 / sle2 trucks, but dealers around here usually just order standard alloy wheels.

So...a console and power buckets...and a difference of $1,960 :lol:

What do ya think guys?? See...my 2006 is a SLE-2 loaded; and I sorta hate to go "backwards"

I'm really looking for the "best bang for the buck". And, I'm really diggin' these DIY articles with the d.i.c., and steering controls, and consoles...............

It's a matter of preference. I went with SLE1 package because of $$ but also because I preferred the 40-20-40 seat configuration with storage under middle seat. Seems to me the big console on SLE2 and SLT leaves you with much wasted space. I added on power driver seat and preferred package which gave steering wheel radio controls and auto temp controls.

If you want it and dont care about the wasted space, then talk the dealer down $2,000.00 if you buy it (if you can). I think it is worth it because I got the 40/20/40 bench, and I hate it (cannot mount a CB/Scanner/Speaker or anything else without retrofitting with an aftermarket console (stupid when kits are made for the OEM console). It is entirely up to you.

Even though the "5.3 is pretty much standard fare" it is still an extra cost option of $600.00 on the SLE1 since the SLE1 comes standard with the 4.8L. You also get the premium cloth over the select cloth seating, 6 way power bucket seats w/console, aluminum wheels, 3.42 or 3.73 instead of the useless standard 3.23 rear gearing on the SLT1, Dual auto climate control and steering wheel controls. There may be others that I can't think of right now but I say it is worth it.

Not sure what rear end you have in your existing ride, but the options listed above was worth it enough for me to order the SLE2 and the 5.3L and 3.73 gearing being the biggest part of the decision. Those 3.23 are not worth the metal they are made of. I am also giving up my 2005 SLT and the only thing I'm going to miss is the heated leather seats. Not so much the leather (since it reminds me of vinyl in the hot summer months) but the heated part in the winter months. Of course the SLE2 I have on order has all the options which makes it, to me anyway, an SLT with leather delete.

Good Luck

For 2008 there are now 5 different trim levels WT 1SA, SLCREW 2SA, SLE 3SA, SLE 3SB, SLT 4SA. What you are describing is the SLE3A vs SLE3B. I think the added extras such as power adjust seats, floor console, steering wheel mounted radio controls, better cloth seats are well worth it. In the Chevy I saw some dealers oredering the LT1 and then adding the power driver's seat, the 1LT convience pkg- which added the dual zone climate control, wheel mounted radio controls, and the enhanced DIC. That pkd was only a few hundred $$ less than the LT2 - and they still did not have a power pass seat. Don't know about you but my DW loves to be able to adjust her seat in all six directions. - she also likes control of the heat on her side. We both love the console as there is a nice place for drinks. We had a Tahoe with the bench front seat and this is so much of an improvement.

i plan on going with SLE2, and adding the leather seats, they wont be heated because thats only a SLT option but i think its worth it, i wanted the counsle in the middle, dual climate control and the other perks that sle2 offers, I was looking at the sle1 preffered package but i thought it wasnt worth the money and offered things i didnt really care to have, so SLE2 for me, plan on ordering before the cutoff date in may!!!!

For 2008 there are now 5 different trim levels WT 1SA, SLCREW 2SA, SLE 3SA, SLE 3SB, SLT 4SA. What you are describing is the SLE3A vs SLE3B. I think the added extras such as power adjust seats, floor console, steering wheel mounted radio controls, better cloth seats are well worth it. In the Chevy I saw some dealers oredering the LT1 and then adding the power driver's seat, the 1LT convience pkg- which added the dual zone climate control, wheel mounted radio controls, and the enhanced DIC. That pkd was only a few hundred $$ less than the LT2 - and they still did not have a power pass seat. Don't know about you but my DW loves to be able to adjust her seat in all six directions. - she also likes control of the heat on her side. We both love the console as there is a nice place for drinks. We had a Tahoe with the bench front seat and this is so much of an improvement.

That's excatly what I have, an LT with the LT convenince package and a power drivers seat. Suits me just fine even if I only saved $50 or whatever the price difference is as no one but about 50 hydraulic hoses will ever sit on the passanger side :lol:

I completely agree that the you don't get much for the SLE2 upgrade... If you get the SLE 1 with the convience package its a nicely equiped vehicle for the extra $680.. and yes it comes with heated power mirrors, remote start, power driver seat, duel zone climate control, Driver information center, fog lights, radio controls on the steering wheel... am I missing anything?

I don't need power folding mirrors so that was something I could do without, however I am a big bucket seat fan! The way I priced out everything a SLE 2 with the SLE 2 convience package was the same price as a SLT base, in which case you might as well get the SLT with the different dash configuration and painted exterior accents, leather, 12 way heated seats etc.

If you don't like the 40/30/40 bench seat, don't worry.. you can always get the console off ebay for $300.... the seats are the same. 6 way power driver with the SLE1 convienence package, but your passanger will have to do without...

I couldn't figure out why a SLE 2 with SLE 2 convience package was just as much as a SLT? makes no sense, but if you look the bottom line numbers GM made some changes with their pricing structure. There was more margin baked in my 2005 crew cab SLE2 window sticker then there was in my new 07 crew cab window sticker. and GMT800 SLE1s didn't have nearly the options that the SLE 1's can have in the NBS...

Just food for thought.

I have an SLE2 (2007). I, too, pondered between the SLE1 and SLE2. Initially I was looking at the "bench" style seat vs the console+buckets. The SLE1 I looked at had the smaller wheels and NO trailering package. Both were 4WD.

My WIFE actually was the one that said she liked the buckets + console over the bench. I can't recall exactly what MORE was in the SLE2 vs. the SLE1, but, in the case of the SLE2 I purchased, it had the 20" wheels with the big Goodyear Tires. It has Remote Start, heated mirrors, steerwheel controls and the XM radio. It also had the heated washer fluid feature.

The SLE2 had the trailering package. The trailering package, combined with the 20" wheels, made for a MUCH better ride and firmer feel (I drove both the SLE1 and SLE2 several times).

Thus far, I have NOT regretted going with the SLE2.

For various reasons, I am one of those that is NOT a fan of leather seating. Thus, I wanted a premium interior WITHOUT leather. The upgraded cloth of the SLE2 was, in my opinion, a significant improvement over the standard cloth in the SLE1.

Now, combined with the fact that the SLE2 was Stealth Grey, and the SLE1 was fire engine red, sealed the deal. I like red, but the frst time I saw the stealth grey in the sun, I was sold. An awesome color IMHO. Also, I'm sure it's no accident that every Sierra commercial features at least ONE stealth grey truck. :crackup:

Now, I have never had a vehicle with remote start. My last Ford truck had heated mirrors, which, in the winter became a "must have" in my mind after having a truck with that feature. I have never had a heated washer fluid reservoir. Have used it a few times on cold mornings thus far---must say, cool feature---works GREAT. I even used it once to see if I could get a little tree sap off of the window, and it worked like a charm.

Anyhow, :lol: , went SLE2 over SLE1, and have never looked back or regretted it. I like consoles to stash "important" shtuff around me. If you like all kinds of hidden places to sotre stuff, the console is for you.

I have a back problem, and the 6-way adjustable electric bucket is a god-send on longer trips.

Just my $0.05. Cheers !

Archived