Fix For Po442

sledr

Instead of using the Silverado solenoid which runs about $300 bucks, a mechanic at the dealership did some testing and found you can use the Cavalier solenoid which retails for 32 bucks. Swap the old part for the new one and you're good to go.

The truck he is testing on has run for 2 months without the check engine and code coming back.

Instead of using the Silverado solenoid which runs about $300 bucks, a mechanic at the dealership did some testing and found you can use the Cavalier solenoid which retails for 32 bucks. Swap the old part for the new one and you're good to go.

The truck he is testing on has run for 2 months without the check engine and code coming back.

What is Po442??

Sounds too good to be true. Why would GM go to all the trouble to use a part that costs $300 when they already have a mass-used part that costs $30? GM has TONS of folks designing, reviewing, and analyzing the costs to produce every vehicle. Something doesn't sound right - I'd be weary of such a fix. There is likely a very good reason the more expensive part was used in the original assembly.

Like bubble gum will fix a leak in a bicycle tube - it will for a little while, but...

Sounds too good to be true. Why would GM go to all the trouble to use a part that costs $300 when they already have a mass-used part that costs $30? GM has TONS of folks designing, reviewing, and analyzing the costs to produce every vehicle. Something doesn't sound right - I'd be weary of such a fix, there is likely a very good reason the more expensive part was used in the original assembly. Like bubble gum will fix a leak in a bicycle tube - it will for a little while, but...

It does sound too good to be true. But the tech I was speaking with had a theory that this this would work as a solenoid is either open or closed - nothing more or nothing less. As I have been a customer at this dealer for over 20 years now we were talking in the summer and he said he would look up the part number for a piece he thought would be the best match and then use my truck as the test mule. Well I was in this morning to get my rust proofing inspected and he told me he had the part number and had installed it on another truck and it has been 2 months and all is good. To me it is a cheap experiment. There is no drivability issues now with a faulty part so an incorrect part should be no worse. Time will tell.

sledr

Just becuase you have a p0442 doesn't mean that its the solenoid, the easiest fix for any type of evap leak is to take the schrader valve out of the evap line and run smoke through it to find your leak

That is exactly what the tech did to pinpoint the leak. For 27 bucks this is a cheap test.

Like I said earlier I have been using this dealership for 20 years and they have never let me down.

Time will tell.

Just becuase you have a p0442 doesn't mean that its the solenoid, the easiest fix for any type of evap leak is to take the schrader valve out of the evap line and run smoke through it to find your leak

That is exactly what the tech did to pinpoint the leak. For 27 bucks this is a cheap test.

Like I said earlier I have been using this dealership for 20 years and they have never let me down.

Time will tell.

Ohh ok so you already knew it was the solenoid, well I would try it, even if it didn't work for ever and someone was tight on cash its a quick fix.

Interesting discovery. I'm curious. Ask the Tech if he compared the two parts physically, side by side.

When I picked the truck up today I asked about the difference between the parts and the Service Advisor said they were almost identical. The difference in price is because the Silverado part comes as part of a kit ( extra hoses etc.) in order to relocate the valve. These instructions to relocate the venting comes straight from a service bulletin. I can't remember the bulletin number but I can post it tomorrow from work. The bulletin calls for a relocation to over the tranny, which requires the tranny to be dropped. All this costs $$$. By the time you buy the kit and pay the labour you could be looking at 500-600 bucks. My bill came to $95 for a straight up part swap.

Here is the Candaian part numbers

Solenoid 10382105

Clamp 744243

Again, time will tell but the truck they tested with has run 2 months with no problems.

Interesting discovery. I'm curious. Ask the Tech if he compared the two parts physically, side by side.

When I picked the truck up today I asked about the difference between the parts and the Service Advisor said they were almost identical. The difference in price is because the Silverado part comes as part of a kit ( extra hoses etc.) in order to relocate the valve. These instructions to relocate the venting comes straight from a service bulletin. I can't remember the bulletin number but I can post it tomorrow from work. The bulletin calls for a relocation to over the tranny, which requires the tranny to be dropped. All this costs $$$. By the time you buy the kit and pay the labour you could be looking at 500-600 bucks. My bill came to $95 for a straight up part swap.

Here is the Candaian part numbers

Solenoid 10382105

Clamp 744243

Again, time will tell but the truck they tested with has run 2 months with no problems.

Dude, that's exactly the same part# listed on the TSB for our trucks. They should look identical. :thumbs:

Archived