Please Help - Tow Rating

New to the forum. Looks like I'll be hanging out here a lot. I am trying to buy a new 2007 (new body style) Silverado - Crew Cab LT1, 4x4, Z71, 5.3L, 3.73, tow package. I have asked 4 different dealerships what the towing capacity is and I've received 4 different answers, ranging anywhere from 7400 - 9600 lbs. Does anyone know what the actual capacity is for this vehicle? I currently have an 4x2 '01 1500 with the 5.3L and 3.42's that I tow my 6500lb boat with. The truck does ok, but just OK. I want to upgrade to a 4x4 crew cab, but I want it to do a better job pulling my boat. What is everyone's opinion? I will be towing the boat on relatively flat roads, distance of approximately 30 miles each way, probably 30 times a year. That's just the boat, I'll also pull smaller utility trailers etc. Somebody help me find an accurate answer. Thanks, Al

New to the forum. Looks like I'll be hanging out here a lot. I am trying to buy a new 2007 (new body style) Silverado - Crew Cab LT1, 4x4, Z71, 5.3L, 3.73, tow package. I have asked 4 different dealerships what the towing capacity is and I've received 4 different answers, ranging anywhere from 7400 - 9600 lbs. Does anyone know what the actual capacity is for this vehicle? I currently have an 4x2 '01 1500 with the 5.3L and 3.42's that I tow my 6500lb boat with. The truck does ok, but just OK. I want to upgrade to a 4x4 crew cab, but I want it to do a better job pulling my boat. What is everyone's opinion? I will be towing the boat on relatively flat roads, distance of approximately 30 miles each way, probably 30 times a year. That's just the boat, I'll also pull smaller utility trailers etc. Somebody help me find an accurate answer. Thanks, Al

My opinion? Screw the 5.3, get the 6.0 Vmax. Not only for the power, but it's a better engine. It has VVT and a beefier (6-bolt mains) deep-skirt block. It also includes an ext engine oil cooler, ext tranny cooler, HD rear end and 4 wheel disc brakes (assuming you get a Crewcab or ext cab with Stabilitrak).

Here is a break down of the vehicle and their capacities:

Use one of the following charts to determine how much your vehicle can weigh, based upon your vehicle model and options.

K-1500 Crew Cab Short Box (4WD)*

Axle Ratio Maximum Trailer Weight GCWR+

4.8L V8 3.42 5,400 lbs (2 449 kg) 11,000 lbs (4 989 kg)

4.10 7,400 lbs (3 356 kg) 13,000 lbs (5 897 kg)

5.3L V8 3.73 7,500 lbs (3 402 kg) 13,000 lbs (5 897 kg)

4.10 8,500 lbs (3 855 kg) 14,000 lbs (6 350 kg)

6.0L V8 3.73 8,500 lbs (3 855 kg) 14,000 lbs (6 350 kg)

6.0L V8** 4.10 10,500 lbs (4 763 kg) 16,000 lbs (6 257 kg)

6.2L V8 3.42 8,500 lbs (3 855 kg) 14,000 lbs (6 350 kg)

*This model is neither designed nor intended to tow fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailers. **NHT Enhanced Trailering Performance Package required. +The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for your vehicle should not be exceeded.

Thanks for the quick replys. I'd love to go with the 6.0L, but I'd don't have that kind of money to spend. How does yours do on gas mileage? I hope I'm not breaking any rules or asking the wrong question, but why does the new F150 have a higher towing capacity? Don't get me wrong, I've driven both and really want the chevy, but according to ford's website, the 4x4 SuperCrew F150 with the 5.4L and 3.73 gears has a maximum conventional tow rating of 9200lbs. Why is the Chevy rated for almost 2000lbs less? Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the quick replys. I'd love to go with the 6.0L, but I'd don't have that kind of money to spend. How does yours do on gas mileage? I hope I'm not breaking any rules or asking the wrong question, but why does the new F150 have a higher towing capacity? Don't get me wrong, I've driven both and really want the chevy, but according to ford's website, the 4x4 SuperCrew F150 with the 5.4L and 3.73 gears has a maximum conventional tow rating of 9200lbs. Why is the Chevy rated for almost 2000lbs less? Thanks again for the help.

F-150 different setup? I dont know and I dont care, but to answer your question, the 5.3 with the 4.10 gears will get you 8,500 lbs and the 6.0 with the 4.10 will get you 10,500 lbs, ever wonder why Drof dies quickly? probably has to do with them overrating their truck. If you are worried about gas mileage, get an intake, exhaust and tuned PCM because that will really let you use the engine better under towing conditions and give you better fuel economy than stock.

Al, if you cannot do the V Max, I would encourage you to seriously consider the 4.10s. That is what I have in my YUK XL and when I am pulling my camper, I am very glad they are back there.

The 4.10s could affect your MPG a little either way depending on your dirving. If you run a lot of Interstates at 75+, the 4.10s will have a negative affect on your MPG. However, if you spend a lot of time on 2 lane roads at lower speeds, it is my opinion that the 4.10s could actually offer better MPG than the 3.73s. Eihter way, I can promise you the 4.10s will put the little 5.3 in it's "sweet spot" for towing.

I am averaging 18.4 MPG with my Yuk XL right now with mixed rural driving. It will get just over 20 if I am driving hwy only.

I didn't mean to, and I'm not trying to start a Chevy vs. Ford debate/battle. I just need to buy a new truck, and I want to be as informed as possible and compare apples to apples and not go on the word of a bunch of blood thirsty salesmen. Thanks.

I didn't mean to, and I'm not trying to start a Chevy vs. Ford debate/battle. I just need to buy a new truck, and I want to be as informed as possible and compare apples to apples and not go on the word of a bunch of blood thirsty salesmen. Thanks.

thats cool, you may seriously want to consider the VMax with the 4.10s because that will really let you tune the truck later on.

Well for what is worth I had an 06 crewcab 5.3 with 3.42's and I am averaging the same gas mileage with my new 08 crew with 6.0L and 3.73's 16.1mpg mixed city and some hwy. The 06 had an intake, exhaust and programmer I only have a intake on my 08 waiting on the programmer.

Al, You will not start any Chevy vs Ford Battle or debate here. That battle and debate has already been won long ago. That is why you will find all of us intelligent guys here on this forum. Besides, the public's wallet has really decided the battle. Compare GM 1/2 ton truck sales #s to Fords' 1/2 ton #s and you will see who won the battle.

BTW Welcome to the forum. You can find a lot of good info here and a little BS as well.

If nothing else, get the 5.3 with the 4.10s, yes you will loose a little highway MPGs, but if you are gonna actually use it, then I would recommend it, I got the 4.8 with the 3.23 gears, and I can tell you my actual tow rating is 6500 lbs with a 2WD truck (shoulda gotten the 3.73 or the 4.10s to help with towing) but I drive 95% highway and rarely pull anything.

It's really no surpise you got different answers from the dealership. In my owner's manual one value is printed - then there's an addendum sheet stuck in there with another. I have the brochure deal for my truck as well - and it list a 3rd value as well.

So even if someone "looks it up" no telling what they get.

Archived