Power Steering Problems

I have a 2004 Silverado ext cab 4x4 and I'm having power steering problems. I started having problems turning at low speeds and assumed the pump was bad. I replaced the power steering pump, but am still having problems. Stopped or at very low speeds, it is very hard to turn to the left. It turns fine to the right, but from whatever position, it is very hard to turn left. I'm thinking possible steering gear. Any ideas or suggestions?

Theres a bulletin on this from GM,I had my '04 K1500 done before I traded it......

Document ID# 1998821

Subject: EI06002 - 670 Gear Box Power Steering Pump, P/S Performance Concerns #05-02-32-008B - (07/18/2007)

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban (2500 Series Only)

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon XL (2500 Series Only)

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a lack of steering assist when stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers. A lack of steering assist could occur if the brakes are applied and turning the steering wheel with the vehicle stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers. This condition will go away or greatly improve once vehicle begins to move or is above parking lot speeds. This concern can be aggravated by worn tires, low tire air pressure, low power steering pump pressures, and tires larger than stock size.

Correction:

Important: In all cases, it is recommended that the proper tire size and the maximum tire pressure is set according to the manufacturer’s specification as noted on the door placard; especially for the front tires.

Perform the "Power Steering System Test" found in SI. Make any necessary repairs based on system diagnosis.

1.1. FOR 2500 AND 3500 VEHICLES ONLY - If diagnostics did not lead to any repair, this concern is a normal operating characteristic. No further repairs should be made. A Field Product Report should be submitted - refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-00-89-002D.

1.2. FOR 1500 SERIES VEHICLES ONLY - If diagnostics did not lead to any repair, this concern is a normal operating characteristic.

If the vehicle is equipped with a 670 gear box, replacing it with a 680 gear box may increase the customer satisfaction.

To determine if the vehicle is equipped with a 670 gear box, inspect the mounting bolts that attach the stub shaft housing. A 670 gear box will only have 3 mounting bolts. If the stub shaft housing does not have any mounting bolts or has 4 bolts - DO NOT PROCEED WITH THIS BULLETIN. The vehicle is not equipped with a 670 gear box.

If replacing a 670 gear box with a 680 gear box, it will be necessary to replace the power steering gear, union fitting and both inlet O-ring seals.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Power Steering Gear

Union Fitting

Inlet O-ring Seal

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, choose the one labor operation that reflects the corrective action:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

E9050

Pump Assembly, Power Steering - Replace

Use Published Labor Operation Time

E9740

Gear Assembly, Power Steering - Replace

Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1998821

Thanks for the fast response. I just looked at my steering box and it looks like I have the 680 box. I'm assuming the 4 bolts is referring the the bolts on top of the stub shaft housing as looking down on it from the hood. As said before, I replaced the pump and that did not fix the problem. I'm thinking I may have to replace the steering box next. What do you think of getting one from a junk yard?

Archived