How-to On Replacing The Front Axle End Seals

Fortune50

Question

My buddy's '02 Tahoe Z71 and my '01 GMC Sierra 2500 HD have oil coming out of the end seals on the front IFS diffs. His aren't leaking too bad but enough to throw some oil around, the driver's side one on mine is pretty messy, the pasenger side not as bad. Any tips or experience would be helpful. Do you think they'll just leak again? I'm reading on here that it's just a matter of time before they start leaking again...

0 answers to this question

I need to do this on my 04 Silverado as well. My wifes 04 Trailblazer was fixed under warranty, and my work truck, an 05 Dmax was just fixed for the second time. I know several others that have had the same problem with under 50k miles. That's 3 in my driveway!!

Unbolt the cv joints from the axle flanges. Remove the front drivshaft at the front pinion flange. Remove 2 bolts from the right axle tube mount to the frame support. Remove the upper left differential mounting bolt. Remove the steering center link from the pittman arm OR remove bolts from the steering box and pry box forward {shaft will telescope} . Loosen left rear lower differential mounting bolt and lower front differential from vehicle , it will be hanging from the rear mount mount bolt on the left side. Put truck in 4wd with key on , wiring still hooked to axle. Tap axle flanges with a hammer to remove, they are held in by internal snap rings that will dislodge {maybe}. If unit is not in 4wd there is a thrust washer that can fall out of place on the right axle shaft where the disconnect is. Replace axle seals and reassemble. This can be done in well under an hour by a experienced GM tech with the right tools. I've done them in 8 minutes on a hoist.

I'm beginning to think these seals are prone leaking and in fact are actually a standard feature of GM IFS front diffs :cheers: . I think what I will do if this will be either an expensive or difficult task is monitor the oil level. If it really doesn't drop by any detectible amount at each oil change (I do my own), then I'm probably not going to worry about too much about it at this point :cheers: ....

my front passenger side seal was leaking slightly and I had it fixed at the dealer about 2 months ago and cost me $350 total. I think most of the charge was labor and the seal and new gear oil was only about $30. They have to drain the differential, remove the cover, remove the brake caliper, remove the axle, replace the seal, then put everything all back together

I think that dealer ripped you off. I had BOTH of mine done by my local guy, he used oem seals and charged me $190.00. They dont have to remove/replace all that stuff you list. They also dont have to drain the diff.

my front passenger side seal was leaking slightly and I had it fixed at the dealer about 2 months ago and cost me $350 total. I think most of the charge was labor and the seal and new gear oil was only about $30. They have to drain the differential, remove the cover, remove the brake caliper, remove the axle, replace the seal, then put everything all back together

Archived