Oil Capacity In 5.3l ?

There have been many threads and polls concerning oil capacity in the 5.3L. I have a link to a GM Media site and was doing a little research. You will see in the link below, according to this info, GM SUVs such as the Yuk and Burb show an engine oil capacity of 5.8 qts and the Pick Ups show 6.0 qts. I realize this is almost like splitting hairs but you have read posts, including mine, that claim 6.0 qts overfills the 5.3L. On mine, 6.0 qts puts the oil about 1/8" over the full mark on the dip stick. .2 of a qt would equate to 6.4 ozs, again not a big deal but I am betting this is where my over full issue is coming from.

I am assuming the oil pan must be a little different between the pick up 5.3 and the SUV engine due to differences in the front suspension??

Check the link out for yourself. GM Media You will need to click on the "specifications" and scroll down to the "capacities" section.

Whether it matters to you or not, the link contains other good info and specs.

Look in your owners manual under capacity's and it lists the engines and capacity for each. If the SUV and i don't know which one your talking about but it maybe different than the LS truck engines. The LS truck engines & C5& 6 Vett use 6 qts. Follow the directions on checking the oil, some are different.

That is what is odd. The OM with my 02 Yuk XL shows 6.0 qts and this GM media piece shows 5.8 qts.

I check it with engine hot and after sitting for a few minutes.

Hey Dave,

Glad to see you are the happy owner of a Tundra. No oil useage yet in my Yuk but you never know. My brother in law has now reached almost 300K on his 99 Chev 6.0L and it is now using about 1/2 qt between 5,000 mile changes. He has also had to replace one injector and the water pump. Completetly unacceptable GM quality. Especially when you consider the truck has had a 6K lb trailer behind it most of it's life. Hopefully they can improve on this and his next GM truck will run 300K with only a few broken camshafts :eek: , some transmission issues :cry: and frame that flexes severly :rollin: . And maybe if the General works at it really hard, they can make the next model Trucks butt ugly as well. :cry:

Thanks for the info you shared here and good day to you and your Tojo. :D

don't worry you will burn that extra oil and more in the first 50 miles

That's kinda strange....I ususally change my oil around 6K miles (when the oil life monitor gets to around 10%) and I always drain out between 5.5-5.75 quarts in both my '07 and '03 after filling them with 6.0 quarts (not sure how much is still in the oil filter, oil pan etc.). The calibration marks on my drain pan and 1 quart oil bottles must not be right then. :cry:

The only vehicle I've had that really burned a lot of oil was my '98 Tacoma with the 3.4L V-6. It would go through a quart about every 3000 miles (still not alarming, but the truck did this from Day 1 until I turned it in after the lease with 34K miles on it). Now my '75 Camaro would go through a quart every 500 miles, but that was from leaking all over the place. :rollin:

Your owners manual is more accurate than the media info. Marketing does a poor job of doing there homework. The OM is accurate and the SUV's Tahoe & Suburban have the same suspension in the front as the pickup along with the trucks. If you look at the Sierra you will see that the 4.8 - 5.3 - 6.0L use 6 qts oil

Your owners manual is more accurate than the media info. Marketing does a poor job of doing there homework. The OM is accurate and the SUV's Tahoe & Suburban have the same suspension in the front as the pickup along with the trucks. If you look at the Sierra you will see that the 4.8 - 5.3 - 6.0L use 6 qts oil

This is an excellent point as the media guides list my 6.0L engine as "iron block and aluminum heads" when it is clearly aluminum block and heads.

That is what is odd. The OM with my 02 Yuk XL shows 6.0 qts and this GM media piece shows 5.8 qts.

I check it with engine hot and after sitting for a few minutes.

Hey Dave,

Glad to see you are the happy owner of a Tundra. No oil useage yet in my Yuk but you never know. My brother in law has now reached almost 300K on his 99 Chev 6.0L and it is now using about 1/2 qt between 5,000 mile changes. He has also had to replace one injector and the water pump. Completetly unacceptable GM quality. Especially when you consider the truck has had a 6K lb trailer behind it most of it's life. Hopefully they can improve on this and his next GM truck will run 300K with only a few broken camshafts :eek: , some transmission issues :cry: and frame that flexes severly :rollin: . And maybe if the General works at it really hard, they can make the next model Trucks butt ugly as well. :cry:

Thanks for the info you shared here and good day to you and your Tojo. :D

Trey,

Excellent response to the troll. I'll add a few things you forgot.

Maybe if GM tries hard enough, they can also make a tinfoil tailgate that buckles, bends and tears when you sit on it or try to use it the way it's meant to be used. Then GM can use thinner sheetmetal so when you lean against it or step on a wheel well in the bed it will dent. Oh, and GM, don't forget to switch to cheap paint on the interior that rubs off when you look at it wrong. Oh, and get rid of this awesome remote starter you now use and go with one that shuts the engine off when you open the doors, that way you can make more money on replacement starters. Get rid of nice available features such as Autotrac 4WD, Rainsense wipers, Heated washer fluid, real locking rear diffs, Onstar, E85 and AFM.

Do all that and then you'll be a little bit closer to being as good as Toyota. :cry:

Trey are you calculating the oil filter being empty. I know you should fill it up before installing, but they may not account that in their figures.

This is an excellent point as the media guides list my 6.0L engine as "iron block and aluminum heads" when it is clearly aluminum block and heads.

The 6.0L are all aluminum now???

I am not sure where or how they came up with the 5.8 qts. You can look at the same engine on a pick up and it shows 6 qts. You can see Redvett's reply above and if anyone should know, he should.

I filled mine to the full mark a couple of times and it seems I had roughly 6 to 8 ozs left over. I have not worried about this since then and have been using the entire 6 qts which puts the oil about 1/8" over the full mark. I have never been into one of these engines and as long as the oil is not being hit by crankshaft, it will not matter. However, overfilling one to a point of the shaft "whipping" the oil is not a good thing and will eventually cause some damage.

don't worry you will burn that extra oil and more in the first 50 miles

:cry::rollin::D

Wait a second you traded your TRUCK for what???? A Toyota?? Toyota makes TRUCKS????

You sure traded up for a durable platform didn't ya? A frame that flexes like a slinky, a engine that's so good you can hardly keep a cam in'em, and O'ya the wonder trannie, yep ya gotta wonder if it's really a 6 speed.

Yea, I tell ya what if I had one of those things the first thing I do is go to a GM TRUCK board tell everyone there what a POS their trucks are. I guess I'd have to do something like that to make myself feel better for buying such a FUNKIN' ugly canker blossom...err...I mean truc....err.... what ever the hell the thing is.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info you shared here and good day to you and your Tojo. :flag:

Trey,

Excellent response to the troll. I'll add a few things you forgot.

Maybe if GM tries hard enough, they can also make a tinfoil tailgate that buckles, bends and tears when you sit on it or try to use it the way it's meant to be used. Then GM can use thinner sheetmetal so when you lean against it or step on a wheel well in the bed it will dent. Oh, and GM, don't forget to switch to cheap paint on the interior that rubs off when you look at it wrong. Oh, and get rid of this awesome remote starter you now use and go with one that shuts the engine off when you open the doors, that way you can make more money on replacement starters. Get rid of nice available features such as Autotrac 4WD, Rainsense wipers, Heated washer fluid, real locking rear diffs, Onstar, E85 and AFM.

Do all that and then you'll be a little bit closer to being as good as Toyota. :lol:

:D:eek::cry::cry::crackup:

Man....I can't stop laughing!!!

Now....On to the question at hand.....I've had a 4.8,a 5.3,and my current 6.0,all three take 6 quarts.

Oh,by the way,the oil pans are the same part numbers for a 4.8,5.3,6.0,A pickup or SUV,A 2 or 4wd.

Archived