Hid Or Hir

Ok I was doing some more reading on head lights and came across Toshiba HIR 9006 and they seem to be the best alterative to HID here is what I found. Has any one tried these and if so where did you fet them and how much? Thanks

Standard 9006 halogen (low beam): 1000 lumens, 800 hour rated life $6

Sylvania 9006 Xtravision (low beam): 1060 lumens, 300 hour rated life $10

GE 9006 Nighthawk (low beam): 1150 lumens, 250 hour rated life $14

Toshiba HIR 9006 (low beam): 1800 lumens, 800 hour rated life $27

Sylvania 9006 Silverstar (low beam): 910 lumens, 150 hour rated life $20

There really is no "alternative" to HID lights in terms of performance. For example, the McCulloch 6000K HID kit I installed on my truck has a luminosity of 2800; the McCulloch 5300K kit has a luminosity of 3200. So although some aftermarket bulbs can give you that bluish tint, and some aftermarket bulbs are quite a bit better than the OEM lights, nothing really compares with actual HIDs. Having said that, if those HIR bulbs really output 1800 lumens with and estimated 800 hour life, that would certainly be impressive for non-HID bulbs.

There really is no "alternative" to HID lights in terms of performance. For example, the McCulloch 6000K HID kit I installed on my truck has a luminosity of 2800; the McCulloch 5300K kit has a luminosity of 3200. So although some aftermarket bulbs can give you that bluish tint, and some aftermarket bulbs are quite a bit better than the OEM lights, nothing really compares with actual HIDs. Having said that, if those HIR bulbs really output 1800 lumens with and estimated 800 hour life, that would certainly be impressive for non-HID bulbs.

Well its true they do what they say they will, BUT they don’t have them in H11 they have only just come out with the H9 so it will be some time before they have them for my truck : (

I looked into the HID conversion kits but in the end decided against them 1) proper HID has a specific reflector design to disperse the light properly 2) with day time running lights the bulbs run at a lower wattage which increases the amperage and the ballast can run hot some mentioned fuses starting to blow. HID conversion kits have good light right in front of the vehicle but don't shine as far as a standard bulb.

The H9 will work but you have to slightly modify the plug also the H9 is 65 watts vs. 55 for the H11. I bought Xenon 65w H9 bulbs for my truck just haven't put them in yet but my brother did his and they work well.

I have real HIDS in my truck and they are deffinatley worth it, Also for those of you who don't like your DRLS the HID's cancel those out aswell. Bought mine on Ebay for $87.00 shipped with a 1 year warranty, can't beat that. Also surprisingly as stated above about the reflector and light dispersment I was concerned that the light would glare at on coming drivers and not be directed at the road, wrong directs the light like a stock halogen but with the intensity of HID.

I have HIDs installed in my truck.....would not want to go back to stock.

I use the Sylvana SilverStars for high beam....which I don't use much anymore since the HID's are better. ;)

DRL is not an issue with my 2002 as the DRLs are a seperate bulb. :crackup:

I looked into the HID conversion kits but in the end decided against them 1) proper HID has a specific reflector design to disperse the light properly 2) with day time running lights the bulbs run at a lower wattage which increases the amperage and the ballast can run hot some mentioned fuses starting to blow. HID conversion kits have good light right in front of the vehicle but don't shine as far as a standard bulb.

The H9 will work but you have to slightly modify the plug also the H9 is 65 watts vs. 55 for the H11. I bought Xenon 65w H9 bulbs for my truck just haven't put them in yet but my brother did his and they work well.

I haven't experienced any "light dispersal" issues, and I don't think anyone else has either with these NBS trucks. Glare and dispersal issues may be the case on some other vehicles, but it seems as though the stock headlight enclosures (including the reflectors) of the NBS GMCs and Chevys are well suited to aftermarket HID kits. The DRLs using the low beam bulb are an issue, but they are easily disabled by pulling two fuses. And if you still want some type of daytime running lights, just turn your fogs on; better yet, do Daddy's fog light mod and then turn them on.

How did you get them for 87? I'm seeing HID's for like 119, with 38 for shipping, which is crazy

look up the seller japanimportshop $48.22 for the kit and $38.99 for the shipping. I chose this seller becuase he has 100% positive feedback with over 2000 remarks left

I put a set of the Toshiba HIR bulbs in my high beams and they are much brighter than stock. There is about a 5 minute modification that you need to do to the base of the bulb, but anyone with a file or Dremel tool and any sort of hand/eye coordination can do it with little trouble. I wanted to start with the high beams as on my last 3 previous trucks I've had a set of Hella 4000 driving lamps, so I got spoiled with having LOTS of light when I wanted it. I decided I didn't want to clutter up the front of my new truck with the driving lamps, so this was a fairly cheap experiment to try and improve the stock lighting. I've had a few buddies ride in the truck with me at night and they have all commented on how my lights were so much better than theirs.

There is a lot of good info at hirheadlights.com, and this is the same guy I bought them from through ebay. I'm happy enough that I'll most likely be ordering two sets for the low beams for my truck and my wife's 04 suburban, as well as another set for her high beams.

I realize that the HIR bulbs aren't really a substitute for a good HID setup, but it was a lot cheaper and easier mod and I guess I'm a bit leery of the cheap HID setups that are selling on ebay.

I have HIDs installed in my truck.....would not want to go back to stock.

I use the Sylvana SilverStars for high beam....which I don't use much anymore since the HID's are better. ;)

Me too :uhoh:

I put McCulloch 5300k HIDs in my truck a couple weeks ago. The factory reflector housing disperses the light perfectly. No offensive glare, and the light dispersment is perfect. Some vehicles do not have good light dispersment for HIDs. they have alot of glare. Not the case with my 08 Denali.

My HID kit came with harnesses for relay control of the HIDs, which eliminates the DRL problems.

I also did Daddys(member here) fog light mod with silverstars. What a difference. Thanks Daddy.

I put McCulloch 5300k HIDs in my truck a couple weeks ago. The factory reflector housing disperses the light perfectly. No offensive glare, and the light dispersment is perfect. Some vehicles do not have good light dispersment for HIDs. they have alot of glare. Not the case with my 08 Denali.

My HID kit came with harnesses for relay control of the HIDs, which eliminates the DRL problems.

I also did Daddys(member here) fog light mod with silverstars. What a difference. Thanks Daddy.

You're 100% correct on that. Unfortunately there are some people on this forum who think that people like you and I are raging douchebags for putting HID lights in non-HID assemblies because they think we're blinding everyone else on the road for our own selfish pleasure :uhoh:

Archived