Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Tint Pictures & Suggestions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#16 Josh H

Josh H

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

If you are going through the trouble of tinting it, you should go as dark as legally possible. Any tint shop will know the law and fix you up.

#17 Lincoln

Lincoln

Enthusiast

• 492 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

also in Texas and mine are 20% for the rear doors and rear glass, the front is 25%, no real problem here in Texas.....

Not UNTIL you have to get a state inspection. They have to meter the fronts now and they can't be beyond 35%. I have 20% on my fronts but a new truck comes with a 2 year insp sticker so I'll probably trade it before it is an issue.

Getting an inspection is not really a problem in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I've had 20% or darker on just about every car I've owned in the past 22 years and only once has someone pulled out the meter to check the tint during a state inspection. I just had two cars done in October. I know some places follow the law but it's not difficult to find places that don't check it. I've found that independant gas stations and oil change places in the wealthier neighborhoods are more likely not to check this...I guess the places in "da hood" have more eyes looking at them???

Even if inspections were a problem I'd still run 20% and just have the front doors stripped and retinted every year. If you strip it yourself it only cost $40-50 to have the doors tinted again around here.
08 GMC Sierra Denali - White/Black AWD, 20x9.5 BBS RD-Truck, 305/50/20 Terra Grapplers, 2" RC Level, V1 hardwired w/ remote display, debadged, 20% tint, Line-X Xtra, CMS Side box, wheel house liners, bed rail caps, Lockpick, Rostra Rear Cam, Raytel Televid5000 bluetooth (POS-removed), Clifford 50.5X 2-way alarm/remote start, Blinder M45, Vararam, Frontier-Gear Xtreme Bumper, "Dallas" Blackbear Tune.
99 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 ECSB - White/Graphite, lots of mods
97 Mercedes SL500 - Silver/Ash, weekend toy, 19" AMG replicas
03 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Silver/Charcoal Pano-roof - my dealership demo

#18 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

Senior Enthusiast

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

nope, I just got my state inspection yesterday on both my 1993 cavalier and 2006 silverado (silverado having 20% up front and the cavalier having 5% all around) and they passed inspection. the guy said that he didn't have the equipment to check that, but "it looks legal" so it passed. keep in mind this is the same shop that the DOT put there and staffed by a uniformed officer.....goes to show you the retardedness (if that is a word) of the TXDOT....and not to mention that all he really checked was the safety and emissions portion of the vehicles.

Edited by M. Cueva, 06 December 2007 - 06:55 PM.

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#19 Zembonez

Zembonez

Senior Enthusiast

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,080 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

nope, I just got my state inspection yesterday on both my 1993 cavalier and 2006 silverado (silverado having 20% up front and the cavalier having 5% all around) and they passed inspection. the guy said that he didn't have the equipment to check that, but "it looks legal" so it passed. keep in mind this is the same shop that the DOT put there and staffed by a uniformed officer.....goes to show you the retardedness (if that is a word) of the TXDOT....and not to mention that all he really checked was the safety and emissions portion of the vehicles.

HA! That's just plain cool... When the time comes for me I just might need you to PM me the name of that excellent establishment!

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#20 Zembonez

Zembonez

Senior Enthusiast

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,080 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

Even if inspections were a problem I'd still run 20% and just have the front doors stripped and retinted every year. If you strip it yourself it only cost $40-50 to have the doors tinted again around here.

I am in total 110% agreement with you on this. I run 20 on the fronts on everything I have. Never had a problem getting pulled or anything. I have had several that didn't pass inspection, so I stripped the tint off the fronts and got the sticker... then off to my tinter for a quickie redo.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#21 driver456

driver456

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

Did 20% on the side windows. Happy I went dark exept Im little worried that I will get my balls broken by a cop if they have nothing beter to do
sweetPosted Image

#22 LouisianaGuy

LouisianaGuy

Enthusiast

• 211 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:02 AM

Here is mine, as posted earlier i have 20% on the fron equalling out to roughly 16% total VLT. I placed 35% over rear windows to equal 7% total VLT. It looks darker than it really is but you can see out of it perfectly even at night backing up. I did the tint job myself and I have had people ask which store installed it. If you take your time it is something that you can do and be proud of. I used Gila Tint Window Film. There is a lot of reflection from being in my garage. Secondly it was taken on my cell phone, I will put better picture up later once I get my camera back from the shop.
Posted Image

Posted Image

MODS: Line-X over-rails, carpet flooring, 20% Front tint, 35% Rear over factory Tint, Hood and window deflector, Rear Mud Flaps, K&N Filter, DIC upgrade, Xentec HID, Rough Country leveling kit, Clarion security system, G4-Elite Bed Cover, bed lights, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO

NBS, 4.8L V8, 3.23 Gear Ratio, Crew Cab, WT with LS upgrade
My Truck Garage

#23 supermans046.0LHD

supermans046.0LHD

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

Cops only pull over for tint if their really bored or if its on a "Kid" looking car. Put limo on a relatively stock 2008 1500 and you wont have a problem. I have put limo on every car and truck I have owned. The only cars I got tickets in was a lowered 92 S10 with air bags, a 92 honda accord with 18" wheels tucked, and a 94 accord. Now my 2001 F150 fx4 no problem, 2004 silverado 1500 no problem, my 2006 2500hd 4x4 no problem, my BMW 5 series no problem. Tint is the least of a cops worries. Do what you want on your truck. And if you get pulled over tell them you drive you 80 year old aunt to bingo 3 times a week and she has sensitive eyes.

#24 camnut

camnut

Enthusiast

• 69 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:55 AM

I've got 35% front tint and 5% over factory tint in the rear. The rear windows are solid and are a little difficult at night but not too bad and I wish I could go darker than 35% in the front but in michigan no tint on the front windows is allowed and anything less than 35% is pushing my luck

Posted Image

Do you have any side shots of your truck? Was thinking of having the similar setup...

I have 30% on my front sides but will be going darker all around.

Attached File  dupi.jpg   189.56KB   25 downloads
Posted Image

#25 RB Racing

RB Racing

Enthusiast

• 113 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:02 PM

The law here is 50% for fronts I went with 35%.
Posted Image

#26 cambo

cambo

Enthusiast

• 640 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

I dont know what the law is in Florida, but I went with 8% in the front, 8% in the back, and a 8% strip on the front window to the AS1 line, but I wanted to go an inch lower, but wouldn't do it cause of the AS1 line. I am going to go darker when I get the money.

I just realized how old this picture is of my truck.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Barth Syndrome Foundation

Please donate your blood. My blood saved a child from having a heart transplant.

#27 cerbomark

cerbomark

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,687 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

I told the guy to match the front sides to the rear sides. I think he did one lighter than limo tint. Illegal in NJ. :cheers:
Posted Image
2009 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

#28 Ghost3B

Ghost3B

Enthusiast

• 21 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

OK, I matched the back windows with my front's and I had them put 15% across the back. I'll take some pictures later this week after I get my side-steps installed and post some pictures. I don't plan on doing much more to the truck at this point...it's fairly stock. I do have a set of GMC 22's on it, will have the side-steps, and then the tint. I really like the look of the truck as it is, and I think if you try to do too many mods it starts to look like crap. :cheers:

#29 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

Senior Enthusiast

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

good deal, would like to see how it turned out.

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#30 NGA PLZ

NGA PLZ

Enthusiast

• 113 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:23 PM

I got 20% all around. It's perfect...not too dark at night and dark enough to block most of the sun during the day.

Posted Image
Posted Image
2007 Silverado Vortec
Max
2" RC leveling kit
AEM intake
20% tint
Yellow output fogs
Blackbear tune