2006 Suburban 2500 P0449 Code

jaredaggie

Question

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4x4 with 60K miles. I have a P0449 code that I am not sure how to get rid of. I have read this and other forums but I'm having trouble locating my EVAP can or purge valve. I've read on other forums that it is an electrical problem and I've seen that most are able to fix it relatively easily by replacing a few cheap parts.

I am not sure if this impacts my mileage, but with this tank every little bit helps, plus the check engine light being on really bugs me.

Also a lot of the forums I've read say to get a repair manual. Anybody have any recommendations for which one and where to get it? I would love to have one of them, just wanted some advice on the best one.

Thanks,

Jared

I'm not sure how someone on here got both parts for $50. I priced just the EVAP vent valve solenoid, and it's $190 at the dealer ($98 at GM Parts Direct). Anyhow, I have a 2003 Silverado 1500, and I got the P0449 CEL last week. First, what are the ramifications of not fixing this? I think I do smell gas stronger now, though. Second, I think (as my luck would have it) my solenoid is located between the cab and the bed of the truck. Does this mean the bed or fuel tank has to be removed to replace this? Sounds difficult.

Thanks.

i replaced the parts as mentioned above... I got both parts for about $130. I replaced them myself in about 5-10 minutes total. I own a odb ii reader and recent the codes myself.... we'll see if they come back on. Hopefully not. I actually paid about $40-80 less than I would have paid normally for parts... the lady at the counter was in a good mood I guess. They would have probably charged me about $100-300 just for labor on top of parts...

I have a 2006 Tahoe Z-71 and the code from the OBD-II code reader was the P0449... I replaced with the part it called for, same as the Suburban and it is a direct replacement. It took all of 5 mins to replace. I reset the light and have driven about 90 miles with several starts and the light has not come back on. I only replaced the EVAP at the rear, nothing done on the front of the engine. On the Tahoe it is located at the rear of the fuel tank, up high, near the floor of the rear compartment. The part was about $24 at the Chevy dealership...they have them in stock as they sell a lot of them. It was very easy, cheap and now maybe I will see a small improvement in fuel mileage. Note there is no relocation kit for this Tahoe, like there is with the p/u trucks, so a very simple repair... Thanks to all who have posted related items, pics and experiences as I used all of it to diagnose and replace....

Im reading a p0449 and 455, I think this is the vent solenoid on my 2003 extended cab 5.3 Silverado, loc ated between the cab and bed, above the fuel tank. Im having a problem finding a "look alike" replacement. Anyone have a part number/ idea of where I can get it other than my dealer? they supposedly dont sell parts to the general public, I think its BS. Here is a picture:

post-54210-1252553901_thumb.jpg

post-54210-1252553971_thumb.jpg

Just got the P0449 code on my 2006 Suburban with only 28,000 miles on it. Picked up both parts at my local Chevy dealer for $75 bucks with tax. You only need a screw driver to work the hose clamp on the purge and a 5/16 socket to get the top plastic off the engine and then to pull the vent valve. Very easy fix. After I got the old ones out I decided to find out which was bad. 12V across the pins and found that it was only the rear purge valve. Oh well, got a spare valve if anyone needs the one under the hood. I've attached some pics to help out anyone with a suburban. Funny thing was that the guy in front of me at the parts counter was buying the same parts. Thanks for the help guys.

post-88463-1296941383_thumb.jpg

post-88463-1296941391_thumb.jpg

I wish i knew where they were on your vehicles, but yea i'd say if thats the code your getting that it's probably the problem. Mine is still working great. It really is a poor design. I would just call the dealership and see if they'll tell you where its located. I may have a trick, when I went to buy the part from the GM house, they pulled up a sort of map of my vehicle... and on there it had exactly where it was located. Try that and see if they will show you if you buy the part from them. I am surprised there aren't more people on here who are able to tell you where its located. I paid 20 bucks for a Chilton's online manual, and it was crap, didn't have anything useful to help with it. Keep me posted if ya'll get it fixed.

Jared,

An update: I found the vent valve and solenoid exactly where yours is. Your pics made it a snap in identifying the right part. Off to the dealer tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Many thanks,

Steve

I wish i knew where they were on your vehicles, but yea i'd say if thats the code your getting that it's probably the problem. Mine is still working great. It really is a poor design. I would just call the dealership and see if they'll tell you where its located. I may have a trick, when I went to buy the part from the GM house, they pulled up a sort of map of my vehicle... and on there it had exactly where it was located. Try that and see if they will show you if you buy the part from them. I am surprised there aren't more people on here who are able to tell you where its located. I paid 20 bucks for a Chilton's online manual, and it was crap, didn't have anything useful to help with it. Keep me posted if ya'll get it fixed.

I also had a recent 0449 error that turned out to be the valve.

On the 2007 Suburban, it is just in front of the spare tire.

Popped it out, $36 for the part at the dealer, and popped the new one in.

Cleared the code and away we go.

Thanks for the news folks.

As an aside, and the main reason for the post, my auto start stopped working once the check engine light came on. Once I changed the valve and cleared the error, the autostart magically started working again - first time I had ever seen this.

CHeers.

I'm getting a "Tighen Gas Cap" on my digital dash display and a short time later my check engine light comes on. My gas cap is tight and I have to clear the code with my scanner. The light drives me nuts. So what do I need to replace?????????

Archived