2006 Suburban 2500 P0449 Code

jaredaggie

Question

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4x4 with 60K miles. I have a P0449 code that I am not sure how to get rid of. I have read this and other forums but I'm having trouble locating my EVAP can or purge valve. I've read on other forums that it is an electrical problem and I've seen that most are able to fix it relatively easily by replacing a few cheap parts.

I am not sure if this impacts my mileage, but with this tank every little bit helps, plus the check engine light being on really bugs me.

Also a lot of the forums I've read say to get a repair manual. Anybody have any recommendations for which one and where to get it? I would love to have one of them, just wanted some advice on the best one.

Thanks,

Jared

Thanks to everyone on this forum. I have an 06 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with a 5.3 and 75k miles. Got the 0449 light and took the advice offered here and replaced the solenoid valve which on my truck is located right in front of the gas tank on the driver's side. Whole job took about an hour, including running to the hardware store to get some tubing to replace the heat shrink tubing on the original. Went to the GM dealer and they quoted me 150 bucks. Got the part on line (amazon.com, believe it or not) for 14.99 + shipping, less than 20 bucks. Have included a photo of the part (the old one) and the box the new one came in - if you can't read it, AC Delco Part #214-2149, GM Part # 25932571. I didn't reset the CEL, but it went out on it's own after less than an hour of driving and has remained off. NOTE: like one of the guys on the forum said, the site I got this from said it wouldn't work on my '06, but it was exactly the same except for the fitting where the tubing attached - fitting was same size, and takes same size tubing, just a slightly different style.

Thanks again everyone, saved me $130 + GM Labor rate.

post-85402-1293119301_thumb.jpgpost-85402-1293119311_thumb.jpg

post-85402-1293119301_thumb.jpg

post-85402-1293119311_thumb.jpg

can someone post part#'s and how much, cause i have the extended warranty but i have to pay 100 bucks for the co pay thing. So im just trying to see which will be easier.

hey i founf the one in the engine easily but not the other one i have a silverado 1500 too u think you could explin a little more sorry im a newbie :thumbs:

Here is what I got. I have a 2006 Silverado quad cab with 4.8V8. This works on all of the 1/2 ton, maybe 3/4 also. The Evap Vent Solenoid I got at my GM dealer was part number 25932571 and cost me $28 + tax. I was getting the PO449 code. Replaced my Gas cap first and that didn't fix it. Got the above Solenoid and put it in today and that fixed it. Mine was located in front of the left rear tire under the cab. I unbolted the bracket with a 13mm socket because I couldn't see how to take the unit off the bracket arm. After taking out the bolt, I disconnected the electrical connection and then disconnected the fitting going into the canister so the solenoid, hose and cainster fitting all came off as a unit. The hose is a hard heat shrink plastic tube. I tried heating it with a lighter but that didn't work so I just made a careful slice in the end of the hose on the canister fitting and it pulled right off. Since I wasn't going to reuse the hose or the old solenoid I tossed them in the trash but not before opening the filter top and knocking out the dust. There was alot of it and it was very fine. I can imagine that the very fine dust is what is keeping the solenoid from working properly. I then went to the auto parts store and bought 12" of 5/8 heater hose and two hose clamps. I bolted the bracket back in place and then reattached the solenoid to it. You have to bend the little tab in the center of the bracket back in slightly so it will lock the solenoid in place. After that, I reconnected the canister fitting back in place and connected the heater hose to the cainster fitting and the solenoid and tightened up the hose clamps. I had previously cleared the code and after starting the truck and driving it around town, no code. It works. It actually took less time to do than it took for me to write this discription. Hope this helps.cc

where is it located?

Howdy Thors, The vent solenoid is located behind the spare tire next to a good sized plastic box. Mine was dirty and dust went everywhere when I pulled it out. It is cylindrical in shape maybe three inches high. It has a black flexible hose and one electrical plug on it. See attached pics.

The purge valve though is up under the plastic housing on top of the engine. It has one small bolt that has to be removed, and again one wire. It is very readily accessible and can be replaced in less than five minutes. From what I have read for the P0449 this is the more likely problem, but since my evap vent was so dirty I'm glad they were both changed. See the attached pic. It's small and oddly shaped, but really is easy to replace.

Let me know if these aren't clear enough and I can email them too you.

Jared

post-44224-1197920205_thumb.jpg

post-44224-1197920218_thumb.jpg

post-44224-1197920227_thumb.jpg

Well, cool... I got it fixed, I think. I replaced the EVAP vent solenoid and the purge valve. Both took 3 minutes each and cost 50 bucks total. So far no new CEL.

Hi how are you guys I just purchased a Escalade 05....and i have the same code i figure it was the same thing....any ideas on the part number? will it work the same ? or i need to buy a cadillac one? i got an idea of the one on the rear of where is located...and the one on the front? where should i look for?

tks

I hadthat problem on my 2001 Z-71 that code would appear after my wife drove the truck. She wasn't tightening the gas cap enough (till it clicks), after a lesson in gas cap installation I didn't have a problem again (she told me to put in my own damn gas).

where is it located?

Howdy Thors, The vent solenoid is located behind the spare tire next to a good sized plastic box. Mine was dirty and dust went everywhere when I pulled it out. It is cylindrical in shape maybe three inches high. It has a black flexible hose and one electrical plug on it. See attached pics.

The purge valve though is up under the plastic housing on top of the engine. It has one small bolt that has to be removed, and again one wire. It is very readily accessible and can be replaced in less than five minutes. From what I have read for the P0449 this is the more likely problem, but since my evap vent was so dirty I'm glad they were both changed. See the attached pic. It's small and oddly shaped, but really is easy to replace.

Let me know if these aren't clear enough and I can email them too you.

Jared

Thank you so much Jared my 2006 silverado had the same code replaced both and everything is good,thanks also for the pictures helped a baunch.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to add one thing from my experience.... I have a 2006 silverado 1500 and the items were in a similar place to the ones mentioned above... the one under the plastic covering of the engine is up front and easily removed with one bolt... i used an 8mm socket and it came out simple. The other piece is next to a plastic box as mentioned before only, that it wasn't next to the spare tire... it was about 1-2 feet up from the driver side rear wheel. Its right up against the frame. Pretty easy to remove also. I'd suggest using a jack to lift the truck a bit so you can get a good eye on it. If you have nerf bars, your going to need to lift it a bit. 2-3 inches should be enough to get a hand on it and maneuver around a bit. Hope this helped anyone else that needed help finding this crap pieces which are now mandatory on cars/trucks. Good luck everyone.

Archived