Sonoma Trailer Wiring?

I just bought an 02 Sonoma from someone and noticed it doesnt have a plug to plug trailer lights into. Does anyone know how to add a plug? Thanks

i'm pretty sure gm makes a harness that should have been in the glove box if the hitch was original equipment... but the old owner may have gotten rid of it... if not i'm sure somebody on here has the schematic to help u wire one up! you can get one of the plug style hitch plugs online on ebay for pretty cheap... i'm pretty sure those will come with a wiring schematic to help you install it..

good luck!

steve..

You can buy aftermarket wiring harness that plugs into the existing wiring at any autoparts store. With the kit, you just have to unplug the wire connections behind the bumper and plug the wiring harness inbetween the two sides. I think the kit only has the 4-prong connector.

• 2 months later...
You can buy aftermarket wiring harness that plugs into the existing wiring at any autoparts store. With the kit, you just have to unplug the wire connections behind the bumper and plug the wiring harness inbetween the two sides. I think the kit only has the 4-prong connector.

I recently purchased a 2003 Sonoma that was not used as a tow vehicle, hence no hitch or wiring. I installed a hitch and purchased a "Trailer wiring adapter " connector from an autoparts supply company (Canadian Tire here in Canada) for $19.99. You can probably get it an one of the many parts outlets if you are in the USA (Pep Boys, NAPA, etc.)

The rear lights wiring harness runs along the driver's side frame rail and near the point where the bumper bolts to the frame, there is a weather tight connector. In the Navy we used to call these "Breakout Connectors". The "T" connector I bought fits into this connector.

It is a simple process to pull the connector apart, install the "T" to the feed from the front of the truck. Then plug the lighting harness into the other side of the "T" connector. It is specifically made to fit and it is weather proof with rubber seals just like the factory plugs and connectors. It is pre-wired with a 4 pin connector. I had to drill a 1/8 hole in the frame rail for the ground wire but that was the extent of the modifications to the truck. The whole job from start to finish took 10 minutes. Most of that time was spent trying to locate my cordless drill!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hooty

• 1 month later...

Archived