Rap #1 Fuse

My 1999 Silverado started eating batteries!! I put an amp meter on it and there is .05 amp draw for awhile then it suddenly goes up to 9.8 amps of draw with everything off!! I pulled the RAP fuse and it stopped, anyone know what this fuse does or what could be causing the draw???

My 1999 Silverado started eating batteries!! I put an amp meter on it and there is .05 amp draw for awhile then it suddenly goes up to 9.8 amps of draw with everything off!! I pulled the RAP fuse and it stopped, anyone know what this fuse does or what could be causing the draw???

RAP stands for Retained Accessory Power. It is the circuit responsible for powering accessories when the key is off. Sounds like something is staying on that shouldn't. Hard to say what though with the information here.

RAP stands for Retained Accessory Power. It is the circuit responsible for powering accessories when the key is off. Sounds like something is staying on that shouldn't. Hard to say what though with the information here.

A 10 AMP drain?? :D Do you have any aftermarket stuff like audio equipment tied into the RAP circuit? 10 amps is a very large draw for anything that the factoty put on the truck. Things like heated seats, rear defogger should operate off of the RAP circuit. RAP #1 also is the circuit for Power Mirrors, Power Door locks and Power seats.

Have you noticed if the seats stay in the same position? It could also be a relay for the power seats that is sticking. But the 10A draw is strange. Even the power seats don't take that much power to operate.

Archived