Photo
- - - - -

Oil Capacity/'07 5.3l

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tman

Tman

Enthusiast

• 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

I've changed my oil twice now on my '07 nbs/5.3l. The owners manual states the oil capacity is 6qt. I took my time filling it then let it run and drain back in to the pan overnight before checking the dipstick. When cold after sitting, 5.45qt's puts the oil level at the top of the cross hatch marks. This is with the oem PF48 filter. I also checked to make sure the dip stick tube is properly seated in the block.

When I took delivery on the truck I checked my oil and it was about 1/2 inch above the cross hatch marks.

Anyone else notice this?

#2 sparkstech

sparkstech

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,722 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

You will never get all the oil out of every engine with an oil change unless you disassemble it. That spec is a dry spec(if the engine never had oil in it).
The tech who thinks he knows it all hasn't begun to learn.
and
If at first you don't succeed suc harder.

#3 hubbycap

hubbycap

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,404 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

That explains why my Chevy dealer overfilled my truck by 1/2 qt.
Posted Image
Leaving a 50 acre carbon footprint with every tank.
2007 GMT900 LT2, 5.3L iron, 3.42 locker, 17" OEM alloys, heavy duty trailering. Added AM: SS fender trim, bed & tailgate mats, 2" drop-shackles, bed rail covers, EZDown tailgate dampener, Husky mud guards, WeatherTech Floor Liners, OEM rear wheelhouse liners, homemade cargo mgmt (instructions courtesy this forum,) AVS window visors.
My Garage

#4 Rocco715

Rocco715

Enthusiast

• 616 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

I can't say I've noticed that. I just put 6 qts in and K&N HP1017 filter on and make sure it registers at the proper level on the dipstick
2007 GMC Sierra SLT z71 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2743560

#5 iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire

Enthusiast

• 530 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:48 AM

Using a Mobil 1 M113 filter, the dipstick reads spot on here.
2007 GMT-900 5.3 RCLB Silverado
Not stock

#6 dznj

dznj

Enthusiast

• 21 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:35 AM

Did your dealer add anything prior to delivery to you? My NBS 07 came with a "250K Warranty" if you used some additive. Pretty sure they added the additive to the truck prior to it being delivered to me. When I did my own change with a stock filter and Mobil-1, it hit the top of the cross hatches exactly.

#7 Z71chev

Z71chev

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,450 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:22 AM

Did your dealer add anything prior to delivery to you? My NBS 07 came with a "250K Warranty" if you used some additive. Pretty sure they added the additive to the truck prior to it being delivered to me. When I did my own change with a stock filter and Mobil-1, it hit the top of the cross hatches exactly.

250K???? what kind of additive will give you another 150 thousand miles of warranty?? your kidding right?
Posted Image
Black 2007 Silverado Crew Cab GMT-900 1500 Z71 5.3 Alum. Block---
Cherry bomb Extreme single exhaust, True Flow air intake, Nelson Performance tune (93 oct) Corvette Servo, 3.73 gears, G80, Rough Country 2in Leveling Kit, Readylift 3in blocks in rear (not in sig), Line-X Xtra on both sides, AMI billet fuel door, Westin Bull Bar (black) with 2 6" KC slimlights.
BLACK TRUCK CLUB

Imperial Blue Met. 2008 Trailblazer LT. (stock)

Toys In Stock:
2006 Harley Davidson Road King Classic. Screaming Eagle Download, High flow Air intake and Rush exhaust.
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700FI Realtree HD hardwoods camo
2009 Yamaha Rhino 700FI Camo

#8 Three6GMC

Three6GMC

Enthusiast

• 31 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:47 AM

I've changed my oil twice now on my '07 nbs/5.3l. The owners manual states the oil capacity is 6qt. I took my time filling it then let it run and drain back in to the pan overnight before checking the dipstick. When cold after sitting, 5.45qt's puts the oil level at the top of the cross hatch marks. This is with the oem PF48 filter. I also checked to make sure the dip stick tube is properly seated in the block.

When I took delivery on the truck I checked my oil and it was about 1/2 inch above the cross hatch marks.

Anyone else notice this?

Im a Tech at a GM dealership here in Corpus and all the ls motors 4.8 to 6.2 take six quarts of oil unless your not replacing the oil filter... every vehicle that i have changed the oil in i put six quarts in it and it gets up right on the top line.....if yours is showing a little above drive it for a week or so and it should go down

Edited by sstruck1, 21 January 2008 - 02:49 AM.

Posted Image

#9 sillyazz

sillyazz

Enthusiast

• 531 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

Changed mine Saturday took exactly 6 quarts.
Posted Image

#10 slomo007

slomo007

Enthusiast

• 872 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

Changed mine Saturday took exactly 6 quarts.

Same here.
2007 Silverado LT1 Z71~Blackbear Tuned~RC Leveling Kit~3M Protective Film on Hood and Bumper Corners~Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau~Raptor Step Bars~Mamba M3 Wheels~265/70/18 Revos~PIAA H11 Headlights~GMPP Performance Exhaust~Painted Front Bowtie~Removed Rear Bowtie~LED Interior Lights~GM Stainless Door Sill Covers~CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

#11 Woodcutter

Woodcutter

Enthusiast

• 462 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:55 AM

Anyone else notice this?

I always use what the manual specifies. With 6 quarts, from the factory and after myself changing the oil, the level on the dipstick is slightly high.

As far as oil additives go, I recall the owner's manual specifically advising against using any additives at all.

Edited by Woodcutter, 21 January 2008 - 08:56 AM.

'07 Silverado Ext. Cab 1/2-ton 4x4 | 5.3 V8 w/ AFM | 3.73 | G80 | Z85 Suspension | HD Towing Pkg | Journey HD Trailer Brake Controller | Silverbirch Metallic | Trailmaster Add-a-leaf | Husky Mud Gaurds

Posted Image

#12 the hammer

the hammer

Enthusiast

• 515 posts
  • Drives:2006 Silverado Z71

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

It takes 6, but you do need to make sure you are lettign the oil drain long enough time that it stops fast dripping, and I would say definitely make sure it is level or above to make sure oil drains prop=erly. Also, I noticed the oil filters do make a difference as some are a little larger than others. My Mobil 1 filter I am using right now was larger in diameter and length than the K&N one I used previously, so mayby that could be a reason too.

#13 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

There have been other threads addressing this and you will see some where 6 qts fills it to the mark and others where it is above the mark. On mine, 6 qts puts my level about 1/8" to 1/4" over the full mark. This is on an 02 using the longer filter.

I did find some info not long ago where GM specified 5.8 qts on certain SUVs but only for a couple of years. This was on an official GM literature website. My Owner's Manual states 6 qts as does every other spec you can find.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!