2005 2500 Hd Speedometer Stuck!

Well I recently went on a short 500 mile trip to Las Vegas from my hometown of LA, and on my way there no more than 1 hour into the 4 hour drive to get there I have the truck set @ 70 mph cruise control. As I drove almost everyone on the road was passing me up! I then accelerated up to 80, then 90 then all the way past 120 mph! i slowed down almost to a stop and the speedo still read out at 70. Since then it has went back down to 0 and is normally reading, but now I have a loud noise coming from the lower portion of the truck, one of my friends (who happens to be a certified mechanic) said that it's the speed cable and that it will need to be replaced.

Can anyone chime in and let me know if this is it for sure? The noise only starts after 20 mph and is a continous clicking noise it is getting really annoying!

Thanks alot and no worry about where I can get the work done cheaper becuase the truck is still under warranty!

They are replacing the instrument cluster for free even if you are out of warrenty. Mine did that also (stuck at 120) and they replaced it. But now that you mention it, I have the same type of noise that started about the time the speedo broke - I was thinking it was the hub bearings - it does sound like a bad speedo cable though. I am now also curious if there is any connection between the two.

I went to a Chev dealership yesterday and they are replacing these because of bad stepper motors. Delphi settled a lawsuit with GM and will replace these withing a 7 year / 70,000 window. The dealership I was at says that they have been replacing everyone of them they have seen --- even trucks with 180,000 miles! The service manager agreed that it is total BS that GM would put a mileage limit on this problem since most of the problems begin after 80,000 miles. I'm taking mine in hopefully on Thursday to have it swapped out.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is doing the same thing (2005 Silverado, 2wd Crew Cab, 5.3 LT).

Started a couple of days ago. Sometimes works fine, other times I can be on the Interstate getting passed by others and it reads 20mph, or can be going through a schoolzone at and it reads 120.

Always been a Chevy fan, and am on my 4th Silverado since '93, however, very frustrated with this one. The extended warranty has paid for itself almost 4 times over already at 60K miles. Not to mention the steering shaft being replaced/repacked/tightened/whatever at EVERY oil change (every 5K miles) at no chaarge...Very disappointing.

• 1 month later...

Archived