6.2 Diesel To Gas Engine Swap

Hi,I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1992 GMC 1500 P/U with a 6.2 diesel.The block is cracked.

My question is can I swap in a gas engine?Is a Oldsmobles engine a direct bolt in?wwWhat about the transmission and torque converter,I'm not sure if the stall speed is the same from gas and diesel.

I was thinking of Oldsmobile 350 or a 403 to replace the 6.2.What do you guys think?

Hi,I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1992 GMC 1500 P/U with a 6.2 diesel.The block is cracked.

My question is can I swap in a gas engine?Is a Oldsmobles engine a direct bolt in?wwWhat about the transmission and torque converter,I'm not sure if the stall speed is the same from gas and diesel.

I was thinking of Oldsmobile 350 or a 403 to replace the 6.2.What do you guys think?

Does anybody know the answer to my question.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure about the 6.2 litre motor about it being a direct swap to and olds motor but i think you may be thinking of the origianl 5.7 litre gm put out inthe early 70's i do believe an olds 350 gas was a direct bolt in replacement for that one

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure the transmission will bolt up to that, seems like you'd have to change out almost everything in your drivetrain to make it work. Also would have to run new fuel lines and get a new tank.

• 3 months later...

Actually your trans should bolt right up, but you will have to change the exhaust headpipe placement, and your complete fuel system, and I would change the converter. I'm considering doing the reverse swap in my old 76 Jimmy (gas to diesel), I'm sure you will need the computer, wiring harness, and the gas gauge cluster for the gas engine, for it to function properly. I know that diesel fuel is more per gallon than gasoline, but the mileage in my old Jimmy is almost at single digits, and I know of people squeezing mid 20's out of similar diesel powered trucks. But my swap won't require near the electronics that your will.

Pat

Edited by autopat

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Good day Frank,

I am in the shop changing out a 6.2 diesel to a 5.7 gas. I have two trucks. 1993 with a blown diesel which i pulled out motor trans exhaust wiring harness to engine and wiring to rear tail lights. removed diesel fuel tank as well. i put in the 5.7 gas engine and transmission out of my 1992 truck, along with wiring harness for engine and rear tail light which has gas tank conections. i had to remove the diesel fuel line and replace with the gas lines.

I still have to remove the extra battery plate so i can out in the polution control gas breath jug. I will have to remove the diesel interior gauges and replace with my instrument cluster from the gas truck. I have the competer to plug in.

I did find that the compressor on the 93 for the AC has a different plug for the connector and has another electrical connector on it as well. Anyone know about this item?

I left in the hydrualic brake system instead of changing to the engine vacuum assist unit. on the fire wall there was one extra relay I had to remove as it is no longer needed.

I am not sure if the rear end has the same gearing. So if anyone know! the info would be helpfull.

One other thing. the diesel has heavier front suspension spring which hold the frontend up a couple inches higher.

I had to use the motor mounts (top half/engine side) but don't remove the frame side mounts unless you have to. not fun to get to the nuts.

FYI the Diesel had a good body no rust (1993) and the 1992 was very rusty (from Ontario) road salt.

this is why the switch.

Thanks for any good inforamtion!

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...