How Many Quarts Of Oil Does A 1998 Silverado With The 5.7 Vortec 350 H

Hi there. I got a new chevy truck it is a 1998 silverado x-cab 4x4 automatic 1500 with the 5.7 vortec 350. I am changing the oil in it but the oil is so clear on the dipstick I cant tell exactly what its registering.

How many quarts does this engine hold? I think its about 5. is it exactly 5 or?

I would just try to read the dipstick but I just cant tell what it says.

I put exactly 5 in so far.

Thanks for the help. :dunno:

I always just put 5 quarts in mine all the time, that is what the manual calls for. I find that with five quarts it puts it over the Hatched area on the dipstick so I mainly use it see if the engine is using any oil between changes.

Congratulations on the purchase by the way, I hope that you have as good of luck with yous as I have had with mine.

I always just put 5 quarts in mine all the time, that is what the manual calls for. I find that with five quarts it puts it over the Hatched area on the dipstick so I mainly use it see if the engine is using any oil between changes.

Congratulations on the purchase by the way, I hope that you have as good of luck with yous as I have had with mine.

Thank you. I love the truck it is awesome. :dunno:

So do you put in 5 quarts total with the oil filter? When I changed it I didn't put anything in the filter. I just put exactly 5 in the oil fill.

Does the manual call for 5 quarts total or 5 + whatever it takes to fill the oil filter?

Wish I had a manual now that I think about it lol.

Thanks for the help. :lol:

The manual just says 5 quarts for the crankcase. I put 5 quarts in the crank and let the pump move it through the filter and there is still plenty of oil according to the dipstick. I have been doing this for over 4 years now and have not had any problems with low oil.

Ok ya that sounds right. I have one more question. I put Valvoline 10w-30 in it is this ok?

Am I supposed to be using 5w-30 in it right now since it's winter? The people at the auto parts store told me to put 10w-30 in it but im not sure. I live in utah and it's pretty cold here right now. Is 10w-30 ok for it or should I put 5w-30 in it?

Businesses have tried to sell me 10W-30 as well. The GM manual "recommends" that 5W-30 for all temperatures, and 10W-30 for 0 F and up. But those recommendations are just for easier starting and best fuel economy. I would say leave it in it won't hurt anything, then use 5W-30 next time.

Ya I'd say your okay with the 10w-30 for now. I'm in NH and its pretty cold here too, I run 5w-30 year round, but for many years all I ever ran was 10w-30 and never had any issues.

When I change oil on small blocks I like to fill the filter before I screw it on. I find the engine gets oil pressure faster that first start up after the change.

Archived