What Kind Of Antifreeze Should I Put In A 1998 Silverado?

Hi there. I have a question about the 1998 Silverado 4x4 vortec 350 automatic that I just bought. It is low on antifreeze and I am going to do a full drain and fill in a couple weeks but cant do that right now because it is going into the shop for a couple days for the transmission. I just need to put some antifreeze in it for now until it's done at the shop getting the transmission fixed. I need to drive it about 20 miles or so to the shop.

What's a good antifreeze to put in it for now? I dont know what's in it right now and I heard it's not good to mix?

Should I just put normal prestone in it for now or is there something else I should be putting in it?

Thanks for the help.

Ok I just looked and it does look green. It is kind of hard to tell but it looks kind of like a thick sludgy green. It says to put dexcool only in it in the manual and under the hood on a sticker.

It's kind of hard to tell what color it is because it's so low. I can barely see down there and there isn't any in the overfill container.

I think it is green. Should I probably put some more green prestone in it to top it off? Or dexcool?

No '98 has dexcool, not green. For now to be safe run the stuff that can go with any color. Once its drained and flushed choose what you want to run, dexcool or green, and stick with it. Don't mix them.

Also, personally I wouldn't run the stuff that mixes with everything. Okay in a pinch, but its probably giving up something to be compatiable with everything.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are asking for now or temporary go ahead and color match it.

If you plan to keep the truck, you should take a careful look at the condition of your cooling system FIRST. Some 1996 and ups developed some serious cooling sytem issues. That includes clogging radiators, leaking heater cores, breaking heater hose fittings and leaking intake manifold gaskets (pressure test the cooling system).

So if you plan to keep the truck plan to give these items lots of attention.

Archived