High Mileage? Good Trade?

Hi all, I'm new. Currenty drive a '99 trans am ls1/6 speed. Looking to get into a truck thats 4 wheel. My dad has a 01 sierra and I like driving it but his is 2 wheel. I found a guy though that is willing to trade his '01 z71 with 155k 5.3 for my car. I've never really owned a high mileage vehicle so makes me uneasy. He says it was well maintained. Anything I should watch out for? Should I be concerned with that many miles? My car only has 79k. Any unbiased opinions on whether I'd be getting a good deal or screwing myself. Book wise they are about the same. Gas mileage the car is superior but thats never been much of a concern. Just want something reliable and I've heard good things about the 5.3.

LMK what you all think. Thanks in advance.

Kyle

I would not make that deal if I were you. He has twice the mileage on his truck as you do. I would sell the car outright first, and then look for another truck. I would not buy a truck with more than 100k on it. The 5.3 is a great motor, and that would not be my concern with that many miles, it would be the rest of the truck that I would be worried about.

Without knowing the history of the vehicle, I too would stay away.

My Tahoe had 205K when I traded it in and it ran fantastic and burned no oil. It was also impeccably maintained by me using better grade fluids and more frequent changes than the factory recommends. That vehicle could have gone another 100K no problem. However, that same vehicle could have been toast in less than 100K if the guy is bs-ing you about maintenance. If he has a verifiable vehicle history showing service (I have a spreadsheet of every tank of gas and all maintenance) then it is a reasonable trade IMO. If I weren't 100% sure I would run away. Just my 2 cents of course :lol:

Archived