Steering Wheel Control Led's

I cannot stress this point any more--do not remove the bolt under hood first and rotate the steering shaft around. If you move the steering around after removing the underhood bolt, you run into the problem of breaking the SIR coil in the steering column. This is the reason for setting the wheels straight before you begin. This would put the bolt head in an accessible position. It is for this reason that GM has a special tool to lock the steering wheel in place.

As I stated in my earlier post, since having the intermediate shaft replaced on my 05 Sierra 3500, some of my LED's for the steering wheel radio controls are not working. Could this be related to the SIR coil? I had GM replace this shaft and have had no steering wheel control LED's on the bottom of the wheel since. All the functions of the controls seem to work normally, just no LED's on the bottom controls. Can someone explain what SIR stands for?

Thanks in advance

Kev

SIR = Supplemental Inflatable Restraint. I don't know exactly what the coil is or does, but it is related to airbag function.

Just FYI, the bulbs are not LEDs, they are regular filament bulbs so it is very possible that they have burned out. It is a pretty big coincidence that they went out at the same time of the repair, but replacing the I-Shaft doesn't really require any work at the wheel itself, it's all done under the dash.

Thanks for the replies,

Yes as stated in my original post, all the functions of the steering wheel controls seem to work, just no lights on the bottom four controls. Is there a way to pop these controls out to replace the bulbs? The dealer (service rep) told me that they were LED's. Is there a plug in under the steering column that may have come loose during the shaft replacement? It seems odd that they were all working before the shaft replacement and then not after. One heck of a coincidence that four bulbs would go at once. I could see one or maybe even two, but four???

Cheers,

Kev

The switches just pop out. you need to get a small screw driver inbeteeen the switch and the hard plastic of the switch and just pry a litttle and it will come out. there is a small connector in the back that you will need to remove. The bulbs are not easly replaced so normaly you just buy a new switch, they arn't to bad for a price. I think i paid $10 for the switch.

so that's probably 80 bucks here in Victoria. :lol:

Seems they rip me every time I buy a part at the dealer.

I bought a 7 pin trailer plug in for my half ton, which just plugs into the harness near the spare tire, no plug in housing, just the plug,.......113 dollars!!!!!!

The intermediate shaft replacement part.........191 dollars!!!

Canadian dollar at par with the US???

I think not...... :D

I bought a 7 pin trailer plug in for my half ton, which just plugs into the harness near the spare tire, no plug in housing, just the plug,.......113 dollars!!!!!!

there is only four switches in the stearing wheel (there sold in pairs, left upper, left lower ect..)

there is only four switches in the stearing wheel (there sold in pairs, left upper, left lower ect..)

Good tip on the switches. My steering wheel control bulbs burned out 2 yrs ago and someone on the board suggested I had to pull the wheel to replace the bulbs. I wasn't that passionate about illuminated contols to undertake that but if it's a simple switch relacement for $20 bucks, I'll look into it. Any chance you have the part numbers?

Ok I managed to get one of the steering wheel controls out, was a bit of a task, as the whole thing comes out of the wheel, with two controls in one unit. Now the trick is trying to plug in the new ones as your putting them back in.There doesn't seem to be any slack in the wiring to facilitate plugging in the connector before the control goes back in the wheel. Do I have to take off the horn cover first so I can hang on to the plug? I don't want to rip off the horn cover, it doesn't seem to want to pop off. I also am concerned as the air bag is in there. Could anyone enlighten me as to the proper procedure for getting these controls back in the wheel and plugged in properly???? :tear:

Thanks for the help

Ok I managed to get one of the steering wheel controls out, was a bit of a task, as the whole thing comes out of the wheel, with two controls in one unit. Now the trick is trying to plug in the new ones as your putting them back in.There doesn't seem to be any slack in the wiring to facilitate plugging in the connector before the control goes back in the wheel. Do I have to take off the horn cover first so I can hang on to the plug? I don't want to rip off the horn cover, it doesn't seem to want to pop off. I also am concerned as the air bag is in there. Could anyone enlighten me as to the proper procedure for getting these controls back in the wheel and plugged in properly???? :)

Thanks for the help

anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, there is no horn cover, it's built into the air bag. You'll have to remove the airbag to remove the wheel. I'm not qualified to give you advice on removing the air bag, all I know is it involves pushing a paper clip in the two tiny holes in the back of the wheel (and making sure you don't set the air bag off :()

The lower left one with the highway and fuel icon is part number 21997738

Top left of the Steering wheel is the Source/Mute/Prog button.

part number 1999442

Lower Right button on the Steering wheels is the Info/Arrow button part number 21997739

Top Right of the steering wheel volume/seek part number 1999443.

I've read mixed things about removing the air bag. It seems like an easy thing to do, and the way it looks doing so give you a lot more slack to work with on the short wires going to each set of switches. Just gotta remove the battery

List prices for each switch is about 16 bucks. Not bad at all.

This site is the bomb.

• 6 months later...
The lower left one with the highway and fuel icon is part number 21997738

Top left of the Steering wheel is the Source/Mute/Prog button.

part number 1999442

Lower Right button on the Steering wheels is the Info/Arrow button part number 21997739

Top Right of the steering wheel volume/seek part number 1999443.

I've read mixed things about removing the air bag. It seems like an easy thing to do, and the way it looks doing so give you a lot more slack to work with on the short wires going to each set of switches. Just gotta remove the battery

List prices for each switch is about 16 bucks. Not bad at all.

This site is the bomb.

Where can i find these switches on the internet..or cani only order through my local gm dealer????

You dont need to remove the air bag. It is a littlebit od a hassle but if yo use a small flat tip or a long pic you can ge the connecter to stay inplace and pushe the new switch on to the connector. I've replaced two of my controls already.

Some you can replace this way some you can't. At some point they redesigned how the harness lays and you really do need to remove the air bag. Careful if you are doing it without removing the air bag, I've ripped a couple of wires right out of the plugs on the newer ones. Sorry but I'm not going to post air bag removal details, not that I care if you know how I just don't want to hear from any wives lawyers if someone gets hurt.

Edit: doh I'm replying to 8 month old posts. I think you can find the switches on ebay or something but you will not find them at nappa or carquest if that is what you are asking.

Archived