Scangauge 2?

I was looking at getting gauges for my 2004 silverado 5.3 V8 simply because I want to know what my air/fuel ratio is and my transmission temp is. I checked out getting 3 gauges mounted in the a-piller. The gauges were autometer c2 gauges and the total installed came out to 600 with tranny temp water temp and fuel pressure. With the scan gauge 2 it says i have have up to 12 gauges in 1.(4 at a time) Anyone know how accurate the scangauge 2 is with tranny coolant temp, air/fuel ratio, etc. is? It says its only 159 bucks so I figure I can save around 450 bucks and get more for my money. Also does anyone have any information on scangauge 2 or have one installed on there truck. And last but not least, I got my truck tuned so if I plug in the scangauge will that mess anything up with the tune thats loaded into the pcm now? Thanks in advanced for your replys.

I just bought one and installed it last weekend. I think it's a pretty good deal and works well, but I bought the package of the scangauge 2 and the blend mount for above the rear view mirror. Took a little time to run the wires so they can't be seen but I like the location of it above the mirror. As for the accuracy it would only be as accurate as the sensors. So unless the other gauges would have their own sensors then they would be just as accurate. I mainly bought it for the tranny temp. gauge like most people do. Also don't forget it'll do more than the other gauges your considering b/c it can read and clear the engine codes.

I just bought mine a couple weeks ago on recomendation from Rogerrabbit. I really like it so far.

One thing I have notice is it reads about 150-200 rpm higher than the stock gauge in the dash. I also have an Autometer trans temp gauge on the pillar with the sensor screwed in the pressure fill port on the side of the trans. The Scangauge (getting it's reading straight from the computer sensor) reads about 15 degrees higher than the Autometer gauge.... It's been in the 40's here and I havent done any towing yet to see the high/max temp reading but when the autometer gauge reads 150, the scangauge read 165.

Either way, I'm still glad I got it and am able to monitor alot more parameters... mpg, hp, tq, temps... and it's a digital number display, not a gauge to guess "is that 185 or 200".....

I ordered mind alst week. SHould have it in for Friday or Monday. Ill let you guys know how well it works.

As fot the transmission temperature.. how hot is too hot. I have a 4.3l and tow a boat almost every weekend in the summer and id hate to burn it up. (this one of the reasons I bought the scangauge.. the other being MPG)

I have an Interceptor Scangauge in my truck and really like it. I originally purchased it for the tranny temp as I tow a travel trailer.

But I'm so used to having the speed on it as well, that I no longer pay any attention to the speed on the dash. Then I get in my wife's Buick, and I'm constantly looking at the a-pillar for the speed. ;)

Here is a picture of how one looks installed...this isn't mine...it's C&A's Dad (guess I'll have to start paying royalities to you Trey).

Disney2006259.jpg

I have a Scanguage II on my Yukon. Works great. Gives a more accurate reading of your gas mileage. Tells you what your fuel economy was for the day, what it was yesterday, and what you got on the last tank.

Also reads and clears codes etc.

I would buy one for every car I have if I could.

I have a Scangauge in my 99. I found that if you have an LT or LS with the center console it velcros nicely on top of the lower console under the power sockets (I think the console changed in 03 so it might fit the same on later years but I don't have a pic right now). It's really easy to run the wire from this location and have it completely hidden (except of the part that plugs into the OBDII connection). I like it and I think it's accurate.

I just bought mine a couple weeks ago on recomendation from Rogerrabbit. I really like it so far.

One thing I have notice is it reads about 150-200 rpm higher than the stock gauge in the dash. I also have an Autometer trans temp gauge on the pillar with the sensor screwed in the pressure fill port on the side of the trans. The Scangauge (getting it's reading straight from the computer sensor) reads about 15 degrees higher than the Autometer gauge.... It's been in the 40's here and I havent done any towing yet to see the high/max temp reading but when the autometer gauge reads 150, the scangauge read 165.

Either way, I'm still glad I got it and am able to monitor alot more parameters... mpg, hp, tq, temps... and it's a digital number display, not a gauge to guess "is that 185 or 200".....

Scott, there is a reason that the port you are using for the Autometer trans temp gauge is reading different from your scan gauge. I researched this far too much before I bought my Interceptor. The port you are using is called a "dead port" meaning the fluid coming to it stops and does not circutate. At temp sensor has to have moving fluid to provide an accurate reading. In your case, you are seeing that it is reading cooler than your actual temps.

I love the Interceptor but I wish it would offer an avg MPG and not just an instant reading. Other than that, it has been great.

The port you are using is called a "dead port" meaning the fluid coming to it stops and does not circutate.

Wow, thats good to know.... I had done quite a bit of reading also but I guess I didnt read that.... I just know that that was called a "pressure fill port" for factory filling or something. Everything else I read required either cutting the trans cooler line or drilling in the pan which I didnt want to do either. And I figured what better place to take a temp reading than straight from the trans body.

One more reason the Scangauge (or interceptor) is a good addition to help monitor gauges, accurately.

I got one and it works great! It now has some additional information you can add to see a bunch of other info. Bottom line is that it works great and was pretty easy to install. I got mine with a rear mirrior mount bracket for a little over 180 bucks. If you want some pics of it in my truck send me your e-mail.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a SCII with the new update that allows user-programmed gauges called XGAUGES. From the pdf file at the scanguage site, I programmed in gauges to show horse power, torque, transmission temp, knock sensor retard and others. The only reading I get is horse power. I've checked the info I input to the SC and don't see any errors. I have an '03 Savana with the 4.3 engine and an '07 TrailBlazer with the 5.3. I don't get the readings on either vehicle. Is anybody getting this stuff? thanks.

I should have read other threads. Looks like some have gotten these things to work. Could be my engine doesn't report these things or I might have an error. More checking to do I guess.

Archived